Options

Who goes to shows..PJ related

LaFoursLaFours Posts: 42
edited April 2009 in The Porch
Having a discussion about who attends concerts, hardcore (non first timers), or nostalgia seeking, "hey they're a big band, nothing else to do, wanna hear black types.
This came up because of the tweet. Where it was discussed, if a band needs to play new material at a concert. And Pearl Jam was brought up because their lack of album sales vs. their sold out performances don't really add up, and they could be an act like the stones and just go out and play.
This person said maybe 7,000 at most are repeat goers at any particular show (not just PJ), he goes to alot of DMB shows.
Me, not so much, but I said it seems to me that both PJ and Dave have a substantial loyal fan base, and 13,000 back catalog lovers, especially in the case of PJ when their last days of commercial success was 15-17 years ago, seemed like alot of people and time to hold on to nostalgia to sell out just about every show they do. I feel that 7,000 may be a fan club number, but not necessarily the total amount of fans that see many shows. I feel that the amount of first timers at any given show is the minority.
It just bugs me when people speak as an authority on things when they really aren't. What may be true for one band is not true for another band. If people don't want to hear come back, and get up to do something, to me, aren't necessarily just there for the hits. Almost every show has a piss break song, or people going to get a beverage or something. I don't think this is a sign of a person who is not a fan. You give the show your undivided attention, great, not everyone is the same. Yet when Alive kicks in do you act too cool for the room? or do you rock out like everyone else?
And album sales and radio play this day and age is no way to measure who's at a show. I think the number of albums that are stolen is significant, and if you added those to those actually sold, more acts would be selling multi platinum.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    Well I can only really speak for the venue around my town. I live a town over from Mansfield, Ma. and unfortunately there were a ton of people from my highschool at the 2006 show and then the kids home from college at the 08 shows. I don't know why this bothers me but when somebody goes to pearl jam because of the scene in the parking lot and then knowing 3 songs on the setlist- I just feel like it could go to a much more loyal fan. Kinda off topic...sorry!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    Well I can only really speak for the venue around my town. I live a town over from Mansfield, Ma. and unfortunately there were a ton of people from my highschool at the 2006 show and then the kids home from college at the 08 shows. I don't know why this bothers me but when somebody goes to pearl jam because of the scene in the parking lot and then knowing 3 songs on the setlist- I just feel like it could go to a much more loyal fan. Kinda off topic...sorry!

Honestly, why does that bother you if someone comes to the show that isn't a huge die-hard fan? A lot of people have become huge fans after seeing PJ live for the first time. I was only a casual fan before my first show. After that, I became hooked.
  • Options
    That's why they mix up the set list. Actually Eddie talked about this same thing at the Albany show in 06. The difficulty of making a setlist that will please the "freaks" (us) and the people who want to hear their favorite songs on the radio that mean something to them.
  • Options

Honestly, why does that bother you if someone comes to the show that isn't a huge die-hard fan? A lot of people have become huge fans after seeing PJ live for the first time. I was only a casual fan before my first show. After that, I became hooked.

Because the same people go to the whole Comcast Center's schedule. Some people go to get shitfaced I guess..that's my honest answer and that pisses me off because they aren't there for the music- There was a fight between 30 people in my high school that was "supposed to go down" at a pearl jam show. That pisses me off.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764

I understand where he's coming from; the parking lot scene is lame and there are usually a lot of drunk dicks falling all over and smoking in my face. But that goes for any concert. I try to ignore it.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239

that doesnt really bother me unless those people have better seats than me! cause i have a shitty 10c number but still like the whole waiting in the 10c line for them etc.
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    InMyTree4 wrote:

that doesnt really bother me unless those people have better seats than me! cause i have a shitty 10c number but still like the whole waiting in the 10c line for them etc.

ya i can see why that might get annoying. And like indifference said I know that some people go to concerts and get hooked. It's happened to people I know with pj firsthand and I think that's great. For me it's aobut the people who are there that won't appreciate the music.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited April 2009
    PJ shows are for everyone
    the casual listeners
    the curious
    the folks who come to just to party
    and the geeks like us

come one come all

Just put that fucking phone/camera down, stop talking and enjoy the show!
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    [/quote]

Because the same people go to the whole Comcast Center's schedule. Some people go to get shitfaced I guess..that's my honest answer and that pisses me off because they aren't there for the music- There was a fight between 30 people in my high school that was "supposed to go down" at a pearl jam show. That pisses me off.[/quote]

i go to alot of shows thier and whenever 311 plays at mansfield basically everyone i went to highschool went goes and on eyear there was a huge fight between my town and our neighboring town on the lawn. It was actually kinda fun/funny.
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Anyone who actually knows what good music is.
  • Options
    InMyTree4 wrote:

Because the same people go to the whole Comcast Center's schedule. Some people go to get shitfaced I guess..that's my honest answer and that pisses me off because they aren't there for the music- There was a fight between 30 people in my high school that was "supposed to go down" at a pearl jam show. That pisses me off.[/quote]

i go to alot of shows thier and whenever 311 plays at mansfield basically everyone i went to highschool went goes and on eyear there was a huge fight between my town and our neighboring town on the lawn. It was actually kinda fun/funny.[/quote]

It was probably Attleboro. Alotta my friends were probably in it lol. :roll: