Options

Time/Punch cards

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2009 in The Porch
As seen in Single Video Theory, they really dont do this do they? It was a joke right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    i think it was a symbolic kinda thing. that's the way i take it.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    As seen in Single Video Theory, they really dont do this do they? It was a joke right?

no they're paid by the hour.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    The sad part is that due to the current economic situation, the band had to lay off Boom.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    The sad part is that due to the current economic situation, the band had to lay off Boom.

:lol:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    I literally laughed my ass off. So now he operates a breakfast truck in the Industrial part of Seattle.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    The time punch scene is awesome. Best part of SVT. But I always wondered if it was for real or a joke as well. Cause I mean, they do get paid for the time spent recording, so maybe it wasn't a joke. Who knows?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    I also heard that they were downsizing.....poor Boom.....
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425

Where did you hear anything official about this?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226
    Due to the recession, the band is now offering bailout packages through the Ten Club. Members can choose from the Legacy Edition Bailout, the Deluxe Edition Bailout, and a Super Deluxe Bailout.

In other news, foreclosure had forced the famed Stickman logo into a life of homelessness. "My favorite Pearl Jam song has always been Even Flow. The irony here is overwhelming" said Stickman, in a press release.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Due to the recession, the band is now offering bailout packages through the Ten Club. Members can choose from the Legacy Edition Bailout, the Deluxe Edition Bailout, and a Super Deluxe Bailout.

In other news, foreclosure had forced the famed Stickman logo into a life of homelessness. "My favorite Pearl Jam song has always been Even Flow. The irony here is overwhelming" said Stickman, in a press release.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

we really need a *thumbs up* emoticon.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

Of course I'm just hypothesizing, but...

Yes. It was real and not a joke.

Why?

The band is pretty smart, and since they are they realize that there is a "business" aspect to what they do. Any smart artist has to deal with the business and marketing dimension of what they do if they want to be profitable. Read "profitable" as "successful" or more simply "able to continue doing what they do", not "money hungry". ;)

Since the band is organized into an "LLC" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company) and not a "Corporation (Inc.)" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation) the organization is privately held and is not publicly held by stockholders.

Disclaimer: This next part is where you need to be patient with my explanation. I'll give you the best I can, but I suspect that there are others with experience in the music industry who would explain things differently than I would (and who might even say I'm wrong about some of the details). If any of this interest's you I'd encourage you to look further into it and not take my word as gospel. :)

All "for-profit" business' end goal is to profit financially Yes, I know there are other kinds of businesses too so please spare the flames :lol:. This is a very simple concept but is one that I feel it is important to understand. A business cannot sustain operation if it does not make a profit. I define profit here as: Make more money than you spend. (Income is greater than expenditure.)

As a business, in order to succeed, Pearl Jam LLC must make a profit. Otherwise it will fail. Pearl Jam LLC is a HUGE business, but you might not ever think it because no financial statements are ever published. That is one feature of being a privately held company: You don't have to publish that information. Publicly held companies (companies with stockholders) are legally required to file and publish their financial standings in the form of 10K's (Annual statements), 10Q's (Quarterly earnings), 8K's and other formats with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). Pearl Jam LLC, if they're smart, still produces financial statements similar to these to track their business expenses. They use these financial statements to analyze, quite simply, whether or not they are going to be able to afford to continue to live their lifestyles as artists who need to market their art in order to be able to put food on the table and continue making records. They use this information to answer the basic question: Does Pearl Jam LLC make or lose money when Pearl Jam (the band) records, tours, and merchandises its art?

So, windbag, what does this have to do with me seeing a punch clock in Single Video Theory?

Exactly this. Like I said earlier, Pearl Jam LLC is probably smart. They understand that in order to get a truly accurate picture of what areas of expense are in their business they need to track things like "cost of hours spent in a studio," or "cost of new musical instruments," or "annual cost of property taxes for the warehouse/practice space," or "cost of fuel for East coast tour 2009," or "cost of operations fees for website," etc... Adding up all of these costs (and the multitude of others not listed) gives them a break-even point for their operation. I define the "break-even point" here as: The smallest amount of money they need to make in order to not lose money. I know that's not exactly the traditional definition, but it suffices here.

Lets say for the sake of argument that all expenses for one year of operation are $1,000,000. In this case, Pearl Jam LLC must make a minimum of $1,000,000 in order to just cover expenses. To most of us on this board making $1,000,000 sounds like a butt-load of money, but in this case there was no profit. They made as much as they spent and no more. Therefore the break-even point for Pearl Jam LLC would be $1,000,000. If they make more than $1,000,000 they are able to afford food, and guitar strings, and Stone's dry cleaning bill for white pants, etc... and continue working as a band.

To get back to the punch clock issue, I suspect that what Pearl Jam (the band) is doing when they punch in is record billable hours (not unlike a *gasp* lawyer) so that they can be reimbursed by their label. The LLC called Pearl Jam passes this expense along to their label. This recording expense, along with other label expenses such as Marketing and Promotion, A&R, legal fees, etc... is then subtracted from gross profits for album sales to get net profits. The label then gives the band their cut of profit from net album sales (the paltry few cents of every dollar that artists actually see for all of their work). If I understand correctly (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the band makes this money annually along with publishing royalties from radio and internet play, tour (ticket sales), merchandising (t-shirt sales), etc...

In a nutshell, by logging the hours spent in the studio, Pearl Jam (the band) uses the organization Pearl Jam LLC to recoup expenses incurred in the recording process. They punch in and out for auditing purposes because they are thorough and efficient.

Kinda takes the sexiness out of it doesn't it.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    jmk wrote:

Where did you hear anything official about this?

Funny, I hope you're not really taking anything you read on here serious. :?
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226
    HeavyHands wrote:

Of course I'm just hypothesizing, but...

Yes. It was real and not a joke.

Why?

The band is pretty smart, and since they are they realize that there is a "business" aspect to what they do. Any smart artist has to deal with the business and marketing dimension of what they do if they want to be profitable. Read "profitable" as "successful" or more simply "able to continue doing what they do", not "money hungry". ;)

Since the band is organized into an "LLC" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company) and not a "Corporation (Inc.)" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation) the organization is privately held and is not publicly held by stockholders.

Disclaimer: This next part is where you need to be patient with my explanation. I'll give you the best I can, but I suspect that there are others with experience in the music industry who would explain things differently than I would (and who might even say I'm wrong about some of the details). If any of this interest's you I'd encourage you to look further into it and not take my word as gospel. :)

All "for-profit" business' end goal is to profit financially Yes, I know there are other kinds of businesses too so please spare the flames :lol:. This is a very simple concept but is one that I feel it is important to understand. A business cannot sustain operation if it does not make a profit. I define profit here as: Make more money than you spend. (Income is greater than expenditure.)

As a business, in order to succeed, Pearl Jam LLC must make a profit. Otherwise it will fail. Pearl Jam LLC is a HUGE business, but you might not ever think it because no financial statements are ever published. That is one feature of being a privately held company: You don't have to publish that information. Publicly held companies (companies with stockholders) are legally required to file and publish their financial standings in the form of 10K's (Annual statements), 10Q's (Quarterly earnings), 8K's and other formats with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). Pearl Jam LLC, if they're smart, still produces financial statements similar to these to track their business expenses. They use these financial statements to analyze, quite simply, whether or not they are going to be able to afford to continue to live their lifestyles as artists who need to market their art in order to be able to put food on the table and continue making records. They use this information to answer the basic question: Does Pearl Jam LLC make or lose money when Pearl Jam (the band) records, tours, and merchandises its art?

So, windbag, what does this have to do with me seeing a punch clock in Single Video Theory?

Exactly this. Like I said earlier, Pearl Jam LLC is probably smart. They understand that in order to get a truly accurate picture of what areas of expense are in their business they need to track things like "cost of hours spent in a studio," or "cost of new musical instruments," or "annual cost of property taxes for the warehouse/practice space," or "cost of fuel for East coast tour 2009," or "cost of operations fees for website," etc... Adding up all of these costs (and the multitude of others not listed) gives them a break-even point for their operation. I define the "break-even point" here as: The smallest amount of money they need to make in order to not lose money. I know that's not exactly the traditional definition, but it suffices here.

Lets say for the sake of argument that all expenses for one year of operation are $1,000,000. In this case, Pearl Jam LLC must make a minimum of $1,000,000 in order to just cover expenses. To most of us on this board making $1,000,000 sounds like a butt-load of money, but in this case there was no profit. They made as much as they spent and no more. Therefore the break-even point for Pearl Jam LLC would be $1,000,000. If they make more than $1,000,000 they are able to afford food, and guitar strings, and Stone's dry cleaning bill for white pants, etc... and continue working as a band.

To get back to the punch clock issue, I suspect that what Pearl Jam (the band) is doing when they punch in is record billable hours (not unlike a *gasp* lawyer) so that they can be reimbursed by their label. The LLC called Pearl Jam passes this expense along to their label. This recording expense, along with other label expenses such as Marketing and Promotion, A&R, legal fees, etc... is then subtracted from gross profits for album sales to get net profits. The label then gives the band their cut of profit from net album sales (the paltry few cents of every dollar that artists actually see for all of their work). If I understand correctly (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the band makes this money annually along with publishing royalties from radio and internet play, tour (ticket sales), merchandising (t-shirt sales), etc...

In a nutshell, by logging the hours spent in the studio, Pearl Jam (the band) uses the organization Pearl Jam LLC to recoup expenses incurred in the recording process. They punch in and out for auditing purposes because they are thorough and efficient.

Kinda takes the sexiness out of it doesn't it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow.

Yeah. I know. How bored and full of useless information am I, right?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard