Options

"His Voice Is Part Of My DNA"-Townshend by Vedder

PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
edited April 2009 in The Porch
The genius of Pete Townshend and The Who, by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder...

What Pete Townshend means to me is almost unquantifiable; it's like his music and his writing, even the pitch of his voice, are all part of my DNA. Those records - The Who's albums, Pete's solo work, even the demos I got a hold of as bootlegs - they were like a solid tree in the windstorm of my adolescence. It was like hurricane conditions, emotionally, and his music was the thing I could hold onto. I'm certainly not alone in having that experience. To me, it was a true lifeline.

It would be tough to argue that there was a better live band. I'd have to say the only one that comes close is maybe Fugazi. I first saw them play at San Diego Sports Arena, June 18, 1980. It was the summer after the Cincinnati show [where eleven Who fans were crushed to death during a performance at the Riverfront Coliseum], and Kenney Jones had been drumming with them for about a year... They still had the fire, they were really explosive.

People always say you should never meet your heroes, and for a while I tried to stick to that, to not meet Pete. Because he was the one guy, you know? If it went sideways, if he'd been an asshole or something, I wouldn't have known what the meaning of my life was [laughs].

Then I went to see two shows down in Berkley, where Pete was playing solo after the Psychoderelict album came out. I was standing somewhere around fifth row, and a woman came up to me and said, I work for Pete, and he'd love to meet you after the show. And that was right as the lights went down. It was a little nerve-wracking.

The first or second song was Rough Boys, and all of a sudden he stops singing and is staring right at me, missing out a whole line or two of the song. And then he comes back in with the line, "I want to bite and kiss you" [laughs]. And I thought, This is terrifying!

And then I was brought backstage, and he couldn't have been kinder or gentler. And at that time, I was a little wigged out, and looking back I feel bad about it, but he asked me, How are you? And that opened a whole can of worms, because I wanted to be honest with him. "I dunno Pete, this is hard right now." And he was helpful to me then, as he's always been helpful. And Roger too, and Entwistle was a great friend, and some of their family, the Townshend clan, Roger's daughters... They're like a big family, and it means so much me, to be accepted into that tight group. You can't help but learn a lot.

Pete and Roger both called after Roskilde [nine Pearl Jam fans were crushed to death during the group's 2000 performance at the Danish festival, in a grim echo of The Who's Cincinnati tragedy]. I was apoplectic, I was in the foetal position, I was a hundred feet underwater and I didn't know where the surface was, but they were at least able to get me up to the top without getting an embolism. I'll never forget that.

I've investigated and lived through almost every line of his work. When I was 15, 16, I remember relating to the songs off The Who By Numbers, but fifteen or so years later, when I had become the same age Pete was when he wrote those songs, the resonance was so much more powerful, especially lines like "How many friends have I really got?", off of [Who By Numbers track] However Much I Booze.

I reckon I listen to Pete's music - in some shape or form, whether it's solo stuff or live stuff or whatever - twenty or thirty times a week. And now it's part of my kids' upbringing.

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/02/ ... y_dna.html
Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
It's growing up just like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Awesome awesome read. Thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    jlarson75jlarson75 Posts: 113
    That was awesome, thanks for the link. It sounds like his feelings towards Pete are very similar to the way most of us feel about PJ. Deep down, he gets it!
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    it's as almost like P.T. is the father Eddie never had. Whatever hardships he had growing up and in adolescence, he found Pete to fill in that void through music. Great life story, wish more kids today could relate or find someone similar since so many sons/daughters are w/out fathers or mothers....
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    fuckin' awesome!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    nice!
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thanks for posting this!! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    Like PineappleAna once said (to Ed) "You are my Pete Townsend" and Ed just smiled, gettin it

best thing you could have ever said to Ed, I am still in awe from Tampa
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    EddiesMuse wrote:
    Like PineappleAna once said (to Ed) "You are my Pete Townsend" and Ed just smiled, gettin it

damnit, that was gonna be my line! grr... gotta come up with a new line...
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    EddiesMuse wrote:

How about: "Ed, you are my Rick Astley".
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    OMG - he mentioned his connection to "How Many Friends"....that is so cool...I listened to that over and over when I was 14/15....Pearl Jam fits in my life now just like the who fit into my life back then...And yeah, women (girls) could identify with a lot of his lyrics...man, the who were my LIFE for a bunch of years in my teens...I will always admire and respect them...and be thankful for the opportunity to enjoy and understand their music...

But if I ever meet Ed, I'm gonna say that he's my Kenney Jones!!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    Very cool personal read indeed....thanks for posting.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Thanks for putting this up. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    great read.....and that first paragraph in particular, spectacular. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    EddiesMuse wrote:

How about: "Ed, you are my Rick Astley".

OH! I got it!

"Ed, you are my Dave Abbruzzese!"

...I'm almost inclined to actually do that to see the cock-eye stare I'd get. :D
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    Wow
    Eddie is a pretty decent writer...don't you think? :)

I don't know why I'm surprised by this...The man is obviously fucking brilliant with lyrics...but I also really enjoy reading the things he writes. It would be cool one day if he wrote a column for a paper, or Rolling Stone or something. The little blurbs and contributions he's done over the years have all been really well written. I'd love to see more from Ed in this style.

Speaking of Pete Townshend and Eddie writing about Pete...Does anyone have a link, scan, transcription of that "Forward" he wrote for that Pete Townshend book a few years ago?
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    PJSEMPRE wrote:
    The genius of Pete Townshend and The Who, by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder...

What Pete Townshend means to me is almost unquantifiable; it's like his music and his writing, even the pitch of his voice, are all part of my DNA.

I feel EXACTLY the same way about Pete that Ed does.

it's as though we grew up with the exact same feelings inside us. And I too still listen to Pete's solo, the Who stuff ALL THE TIME. And it still makes me feel so many emotions, it's absolutely mind boggling that it still resonates that feeling inside me - all these years later.

I love it.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Thank you so much for finding, and posting this, here.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    "His Voice Is Part Of My DNA"-Townshend by Vedder

funny, because i feel the same way about eddie.

thanks for posting!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    emptyglass wrote:
    Thank you so much for finding, and posting this, here.

love the user name :):)
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    edpete.jpg
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    that was a great read...and a damn good thread people...
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    DD164485 wrote:
    Wow
    Eddie is a pretty decent writer...don't you think? :)

I don't know why I'm surprised by this...The man is obviously fucking brilliant with lyrics...but I also really enjoy reading the things he writes. It would be cool one day if he wrote a column for a paper, or Rolling Stone or something. The little blurbs and contributions he's done over the years have all been really well written. I'd love to see more from Ed in this style.

Speaking of Pete Townshend and Eddie writing about Pete...Does anyone have a link, scan, transcription of that "Forward" he wrote for that Pete Townshend book a few years ago?

Yes, I agree with you.
    I would love to read a column written by Ed.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    WOW!!! Yes, thanks for posting this!

Amazing how I feel similar feelings for Eddie that he feels for his Idol...it's like he speaks what I feel about him....

I am amazed sometimes how real Eddie is....truly a piece of my generation...a fine upstanding gentleman, writer, artist and performer... His voice is Part of MY DNA...... ;)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    I'd love to get my hands on those who demos. I wonder if those demos are of them as the detours or as the who.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?