Options

PJ making the same album for the last 20 years?!

FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
edited March 2009 in The Porch
I've never solicited "backup" like this before, but I'm too dumbfounded right now to get the words out. The word flabbergasted comes to mind.

I wrote a review of the Ten remix here http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2009/03/pearl-jam/, and it's gotten great traffic and some good feedback. Awesome. But there's this one dude, a regular commenter on Antiquiet, who's leaving comments claiming that PJ has taken no new risks throughout their career, and has essentially made the same album for the past 20 years.

I'm not asking you to get my back or say anything on my behalf, but of the band that I know we all love. If you think this dude is wrong, it would mean a lot to me if you'd explain why in the comments. You don't have to register to speak your mind - it would just be good to know I'm not alone in considering PJ far outside the circle of "safe" bands.

Sorry if it strikes you as weird - I just don't want to get into a pissing contest over my favorite band after I spent three full days pouring my heart into that piece. It's taken too much out of me at this point, and I've got a lot of research to get through before today's Paid Dues festival. Thanks for taking the time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    just ignore it.
    i commented btw
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    That fool obviously hasn't come across the genius of No Code
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    just ignore it.
    i commented btw

Every single PJ album is so different, that's why all PJ album has their lovers and haters, is Vs and Binaural a like? not even close, what about Vitalogy and Riot act? almost like too different bands, but well to each one their own...

+1 just ignore it.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Under most circumstances I would ignore it, but I dreaded writing that fucking piece. How do you review the single most important album in the trajectory of your life? It's difficult to do it justice. So, given what I put into it, I care more than I ordinarily would.

But thanks for giving a shit, people. Here's the new Cryptomnesia clip if you haven't seen it yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMydzKOlALk (Mars Volta/Hella)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    don't acknowledge ignorance
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Hard not to sometimes.
  • Options
    That's utter bollocks and we all know it!

I wouldn't be a fan if that was the case, I have always admired the fact they have offered a different sound each
    album.

It might be subtle but the band who recorded Vitalogy, No Code and then followed it with Yield are clearly not playing it safe.
  • Options
    arthurdentarthurdent Posts: 969
    norm wrote:

ignorance unchallenged is like cancer untreated
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    norm wrote:

+ 1
  • Options
    arthurdent wrote:
    norm wrote:

ignorance unchallenged is like cancer untreated
    i like this one best.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    songs might be somewhat familiar with one another but there are never the same albums. All the albums are different...love um or hate um they are different and of course I love all of them
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    To those of you that checked it out and commented, thanks a lot. Good to feel like I'm not alone in finding utter absurdity in that one dude's comments.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I would say Binaural and riot Act are a little similar, other than that... no.

Also, I can see STBC or Last Exit on VS.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

Vs. would've possibly been, in all fucking seriousness, too good with those songs on it. An absurd concept, but while Ten was the most pivotal album of my life, VS. was the most powerful thing I'd ever heard and remains my favorite album, ever. With STBC and Last Exit... man.

That reminds me. If Pearl Jam's rereleasing all their albums, what's the story on B-Sides - extras for each one? Has this been addressed yet?
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    Firecloud wrote:

Vs. would've possibly been, in all fucking seriousness, too good with those songs on it. An absurd concept, but while Ten was the most pivotal album of my life, VS. was the most powerful thing I'd ever heard and remains my favorite album, ever. With STBC and Last Exit... man.

That reminds me. If Pearl Jam's rereleasing all their albums, what's the story on B-Sides - extras for each one? Has this been addressed yet?

I'd say the Vs re-issue would have some early version of Alone on it, but who knows what other gems they recorded for that album. Might get another unknown song like 2000 Mile Blues
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I just dont get people sometimes.

If someone just flat out doesnt like Pearl Jam, fine, to each his own. But when people say stuff like all of their stuff sounding the same..I dont get it at all. If there is one thing that everyone should agree on, lovers and haters, is that PJ isnt in the recycling business. Each album is very different
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226
    If anything, they've only been making the same album for 15 years.. seeing as their first came out in 91 and the most recent in 06.

Of course I don't agree with that notion, just pointing out the inaccuracy of the criticism :D.

But yeah, the best way to handle stuff like this is to just ignore it. Respond and you're just giving them what they want. The way I see it if people don't dig Pearl Jam, it's their loss. We know what's up.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06