Options

Why did they stop working with Brendan O'Brien?

poto101poto101 Posts: 398
edited March 2009 in The Porch
Does anybody have an answer to this question??

In my opinion the best sounding albums they made were Vs.-Yield.

Only theories I can come up with were brendan got too busy with other bands, or Matt Cameron had an issue with him (Brendan O did the mixing for superunknown).
It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    My understanding was it has been just scheduling conflicts. But who knows, maybe they wanted to try something new, I doubt it was anything personal.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    brucebruce Posts: 384
    They wanted to try something new. I believe it was after Yield the band had Mike McCready call O'Brien and kindly tell him that they wanted to try something different.

I think it worked out well for a while but i'm glad they're working with him again.

BUt they have never really stopped working with him... I believe he is in the credits for all of the albums in some way or another.
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Ive heard the band talk about how they wanted to try going on their own for Binaural. They wanted to see what they could do without BO. Ive read interviews with Mike where he talked about calling BO to tell him that they were going to use someone else-nothing personal, no hard feelings, they just were so experienced as a band that they wanted to try something totally different in the recording process.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Gmoney wrote:
    Ive heard the band talk about how they wanted to try going on their own for Binaural. They wanted to see what they could do without BO. Ive read interviews with Mike where he talked about calling BO to tell him that they were going to use someone else-nothing personal, no hard feelings, they just were so experienced as a band that they wanted to try something totally different in the recording process.

Well, lots of people here seem to LOVE Binaural and Riot Act so I don't think not having BOB producing is the only strike against the band. Obviously he's not the only producer in the business. I am glad that he's producing the new album, but don't hate on Tchad blake or Adam Kasper. I think they both did a fine job on the post-Yield albums.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    They supposedly went with Adam Kasper on a recommendation from Matt Cameron. Kasper was the engineer for Superunknown and the producer for Down on the Upside. And you know Ed, he'll do whatever his crush Matt tells him to.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    andrewbandrewb Posts: 487
    It definitely had to do with them moving on. They wanted to use the binaural recording technique on their album following Yield. But in an interview with that guy Zach who worked for SPIN magazine, Mike said that he thought Brendan got the best sound from them. So I think they know they just want to make the best album they can. Pretty exciting.
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    I read that the guys were so disappointed with how most of the songs on Binaural sounded that they brought Brendan back in to finish the album anyway
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,195
    I'm not super at hearing different producers on albums ans stuff. And I think that VS/Vitalogy got a nice "punch" in the songs, they are coming towards you with full force. Maybe that has to do with BOB or just how those songs were written/laid out.

But would BoB made Nothing as it seems sound as it did?

And btw, I think that Riot Act has the best sound to it. There is something warm and "playing in a basement together"-ish about it that I like, but that may also be because of the songs and not the producing. I don't know whit about those kind of things :) But I think that the album Riot Act fits together so well and jointed by that sound. I't doesnt feel like a compilation album in the way that I feel both Binaural and Yield does, don't know why I feel like this... but I do.

Avocado sounded so boring, stale and too stripped though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    Avocado has bad sound. Crank up comatose and listen. Then put on VS and crank up Go. Yep..
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    Niko80 wrote:
    Avocado has bad sound. Crank up comatose and listen. Then put on VS and crank up Go. Yep..
    But I think that`s not only because of the producer. The whole band had a different (on my opinion better) sound in these days. You can even feel the difference live. In my opinion what influenced the sound the most is the change of the drummer. Dave A. had a clean and perfect sound. He was very precise and making the whole thing tighter. I`m pretty sure if you want to make Avocado sound like VS. adding Dave A. would have more impact than Brandon O'Brian. I don`t want to blame Matt or Jack for this. It might be that PJ just wanted this new dirty sound but I think it takes away a lot of the energy. I still love PJ but can`t listen to the old stuff live when Matt plays them - the new stuff however works with him - but it would kick ass with Dave A. or another drummer with a similiar style.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Gmoney wrote:

Well, lots of people here seem to LOVE Binaural and Riot Act so I don't think not having BOB producing is the only strike against the band. Obviously he's not the only producer in the business. I am glad that he's producing the new album, but don't hate on Tchad blake or Adam Kasper. I think they both did a fine job on the post-Yield albums.
    I hope you didn't think I was hating on Blake. I don't know where you got that from, I was only explaining why they didn't use BO on the last couple albums. I agree, I think Binaural is amazing. Their second best album. But even with that album, pj wasn't at all happy with the sound or production. I think they even brought BO in to fix a few things. As far as Avocado goes, I honestly and humbly tell you that I could have done a better job producing that album. Seriously. It's bad.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    So if this Neil Diamond/Eddie Vedder thing ever happens do you think Brendan and Rick Rubin will work together? Cause I think that would be amazing!
  • Options
    So if this Neil Diamond/Eddie Vedder thing ever happens do you think Brendan and Rick Rubin will work together? Cause I think that would be amazing!

Huh? :o
  • Options
    Yeah, Rumor has it that when they had that benefit for Neil a couple of months ago he was trying to call Eddie and accidentally called another guy named Eddie in another band. Don't know what Neil wanted to talk about, but I heard a collaboration idea somewhere through the grapevine
  • Options
    Yeah, Rumor has it that when they had that benefit for Neil a couple of months ago he was trying to call Eddie and accidentally called another guy named Eddie in another band. Don't know what Neil wanted to talk about, but I heard a collaboration idea somewhere through the grapevine

My mum will think it's her birthday and Christmas all rolled into one when I tell her this news :lol:
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    To the original question, A change is as good as a rest.
    That said they found it didn't work out so good I don't think so that's why they're back working with him and lets all be thankful that they are.
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    To the original question, A change is as good as a rest.
    That said they found it didn't work out so good I don't think so that's why they're back working with him and lets all be thankful that they are.

Absolutely agree 100%