Options

Evil Goat and 2000 Mile Blues?

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,245
edited March 2009 in The Porch
So those that have received the Box set, what are these tunes? Surprised no one is talking about them. Or am I out of the loop?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited March 2009
    Well....Goat is simply an outtake from that time that they were just messing around and layed it down. about 1:37 in total length! We were hoping there was more too it than what was released. Turned out that what we had was all there was!! Or all they chose to let out!!(imho)...Hard to explain this one except to say...SHE WAS AN EVIL LITTLE GOAT ! GOAT! GOAT!!

As for 2000 mile blues....It has a stevie ray vaughn meets old school ac/dc type feel and sound to me! I actually thought it sounded alot like "shes got the jack" from ac/dc...I get that kind of groove from it!!

Got to say that so far though, my fav would have to be the early version of SOLAT!! While alot slower, I really dig early versions and demos of shit, so this one stands out for me! Breathe is cool too, as is Girl, but I *think* I have heard those versions before. Girl I know I have! Anyhow...There you go...My worthless 2 cents!!
    Post edited by pjtradeking on
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    arthurdentarthurdent Posts: 969
    As for 2000 mile blues....It has a stevie ray vaughn meets old school ac/dc type feel and sound to me! I actually thought it sounded alot like "shes got the jack" from ac/dc...I get that kind of groove from it!!

I think 2000 mile is an interesting picture of what it would've been like if PJ had been Mike's "band" instead of Stone's. Girl, Breath and Goat are all from the First Week Rehearsal demo that's been floating around since 2001 or so.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    arthurdent wrote:

I think 2000 mile is an interesting picture of what it would've been like if PJ had been Mike's "band" instead of Stone's. Girl, Breath and Goat are all from the First Week Rehearsal demo that's been floating around since 2001 or so.

imho....The version of SOLAT is not from the 1st weeks stuff.....I would have to go back and look, but I am not even sure that SOLAT was on the 1st week rehearsals. I could be wrong, but even if it is listed, it is NOT this version, I guarantee it! ;-) Girl, I will give you that one, and am not sure of breathe...But I am pretty certain on the other!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    imho....The version of SOLAT is not from the 1st weeks stuff.....I would have to go back and look, but I am not even sure that SOLAT was on the 1st week rehearsals. I could be wrong, but even if it is listed, it is NOT this version, I guarantee it! ;-) Girl, I will give you that one, and am not sure of breathe...But I am pretty certain on the other!

No, 2000 miles and SOLAT are from a different session than First Week. Actually, SOLAT wasn't on First Week now that I think about it.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.."

classic line. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    goat has been posted on fivehorizons since 1998

http://www.fivehorizons.com/songs/oct98/index.shtml
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Does 2000 Mile Blues have lyrics? If so, what is the song about?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Does 2000 Mile Blues have lyrics? If so, what is the song about?
    Its a true Blues song. Very very good.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    mike's guitar sounds awesome on this song, i wish pearl jam would do more bluesy stuff, and i wish mike's solos would be as bluesy as they were back in the day. especially on songs like yellow ledbetter, i feel like mike's solos haven't been as good as they were in the 90's. too country/majorish. still great though.
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    mike's guitar sounds awesome on this song, i wish pearl jam would do more bluesy stuff, and i wish mike's solos would be as bluesy as they were back in the day. especially on songs like yellow ledbetter, i feel like mike's solos haven't been as good as they were in the 90's. too country/majorish. still great though.
    If they did a blues album, id buy it in a second. Ya gotta love the blues.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    2000 Mile Blues is freakin amazing. :shock:
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Im pretty sure no one will agree with me on this but...

2,000 mile blues sounds like a typical blues jam, in other words its nothing special. Blue is cool, but that was so generic.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Well....Goat is simply an outtake from that time that they were just messing around and layed it down. about 1:37 in total length! We were hoping there was more too it than what was released. Turned out that what we had was all there was!! Or all they chose to let out!!(imho)...Hard to explain this one except to say...SHE WAS AN EVIL LITTLE GOAT ! GOAT! GOAT!!

Got to say that so far though, my fav would have to be the early version of SOLAT!! While alot slower, I really dig early versions and demos of shit, so this one stands out for me! Breathe is cool too, as is Girl, but I *think* I have heard those versions before. Girl I know I have! Anyhow...There you go...My worthless 2 cents!!

Yeah I'm surprised more people aren't talking about these songs too.

State blew me away. That's one of my favorite songs ever by any band, and I loved the raw sound to it. It sounds like you are in the room with them! I love that part at the bridge where Ed says "State of Love and" and then the riff comes in three times or so. Really cool stuff.

Goat and Girl sound exactly the same as other versions I have. I've never heard the Breath version. I do think "A Breath and a Scream" is a better name for the song.

I liked 2000 Mile Blues a lot too.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    SN105475SN105475 Posts: 8
    From ed's notes in the boxset.........
    Brother - No date given
    Girl - 10/23/90
    Breath - 10/23/90
    SOLAT - 4/21/91
    2000 Mile Blues - 4/21/91 ("gossard was at the dentist")
    Goat - 10/20/90
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926

+1 I too would love to see more bluesy stuff :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    2000 mile blues is so cool, just one major guitar solo flowing through it, mike really cuts loose.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    UMPyyUMPyy Posts: 5
    are your tracks mixed up? evil goat plays when i select 2000 mile blues
  • Options
    SN105475 wrote:
    From ed's notes in the boxset.........
    Brother - No date given

ha! they still won't admit that they redid the vocals for brother :)
  • Options
    Yeah the Brother I've had for a while is way better than the instrumental and the new version. It just has more balls.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah the Brother I've had for a while is way better than the instrumental and the new version. It just has more balls.

i like all three versions.........

the demo version that is floating around is more ballsy, but I really like the cleaned up sound of the new version as well. Ed isn't making all of his signature sounds from the early days, and therefore it doesn't sound dated in any specific time period. Also, I like the vocals going into and throughout the bridge of the new version better as well.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

i like all three versions.........

the demo version that is floating around is more ballsy, but I really like the cleaned up sound of the new version as well. Ed isn't making all of his signature sounds from the early days, and therefore it doesn't sound dated in any specific time period. Also, I like the vocals going into and throughout the bridge of the new version better as well.

That's cool. I like the signature sounds from the early days. :)

The newer versions just sounded really watered down to me.
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i love 2000 mile blues!

its mike playing a 12 bar blues improv

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    Got to say that so far though, my fav would have to be the early version of SOLAT!! While alot slower, I really dig early versions and demos of shit, so this one stands out for m

That one jumped out at me also, it was awesome and at the end you can here someone (I think it's Jeff) yell something along the lines of "that kicked ass" etc... You can tell they loved it from the get go, it's really a great rock song and everyone is pouring their hearts and souls into these songs and it shows.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09