Ticket Solution for Ten Club - SOS Save Our Servers Use Virtual Waiting Rooms

jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Dear 10 Club Server Guy or Gal,
Please take a look how the Chicago Cubs/Tickets.com do their online tickets. They use a virtual waiting room and pick random people. This wont bog down the ordering process and cause the well known grief that has taken place.
Thank you
John
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    Dear 10 Club Server Guy or Gal,
    Please take a look how the Chicago Cubs/Tickets.com do their online tickets. They use a virtual waiting room and pick random people. This wont bog down the ordering process and cause the well known grief that has taken place.
    Thank you
    John
    Why do it that way? What if you're the first one in... but, never get selected? Is that fair?
    How about queueing up the requests by storing them up in a database and processing them as the server can? Use all of the server's processing resources ... without over running it.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    this may be hard for some to believe, but tickets.com provides a worse ticket-purchasing experience than both ticketmaster and, believe it or not, the ten club...albeit, i agree that the current ten club method is in need of significant improvement, but tickets.com is not a sound resolution - i feel that they offer one of the worst ticketing experiences around, and the ten club should in no way consider tickets.com a viable service provider
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Anyone who has ever tried to purchase Boston Red Sox tickets from http://www.redsox.com (via tickets.com) when they go on sale can vouch for how terrible the Virtual Waiting Room is.

You can easily be in the Virtual Waiting Room for over 16 hours when there is enough demand. Ticketmaster is definitely a much better option.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Seriously... I should start a company that writes programs allows middle to low end servers to process large amounts of "swamp" orders without having to upgrade their hardware. Most 'Fan Club' online sites are in the same predicament... normal acitvity is nominal, so you want that for the majority of the time. But, there are short bursts of heavy transaction activity, such as ticket on-sales.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • In all honesty, they would probably be better off announcing the dates, then giving people a week long window of opportunity to register interest in the tickets via email, then they could pick names randomly. I know there is the argument of first come first served, but when demand is that high, you have to have luck on your side regardless. They could then give people a few days to pay or the tickets get allocated to another person chosen at random. This would save so much hassle, i.e. people being in work when tickets go on sale and having to sit there for hours refreshing the page, only to get shut out.
  • I know this may be hard for some of you to believe but the ten club could give a rats ass about how the tickets are sold on their site right now. If they did, they would do something about it...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07