Options

Ten Years Ago Today - My First Show Took Place

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
edited July 2008 in The Porch
10 YEARS AGO~! Unbelievable that it's been that long. What a night for myself, what a show, what an experience. Up to this point I had bought evey album on the day it came out, except for 10 of course. I was a big fan, but I had yet to see the band live, because they hadn't played Vancouver since 93 (with Neil Young and Blind Melon). So this was my chance. Opening with Sometimes was a shock, the next 3 songs were a blur and then it was smoooth sailing from there on in. RVM blew me away. I didn't know the daughter tag at the time. I didnt know leaving here at the time either. Seeing Black was emotional for me obviously. Alive was amazing when Ed came into the crowd, place went crazy. BUT I will never, ever forget in all my years, the atmosphere when Baba was played. i had just turned 18, had be listening to Who's Next since I was 16 and didn't really think many other people knew this song, or were into it. I was amazed and on cloud 9 when Ed let the entire crowd sing this song...unforgettable moment. Greatest thing I had ever seen or ever been apart of. The rest is history!!!! What a fuckin night!
Happy Tenth Vancouver 98!

My Poster
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/IMG_4601.jpg
MY Stub
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/IMG_4605.jpg

I think I only know two other Pitters that were at this one: pjbiz and pearljuli

Anybody else?

I have a bootleg Cd of this show, it sucks and I have the dvd also, but it doesn't work in my player...anybody help?

07/19/98 - Pacific Coliseum: Vancouver, British Columbia [113m]
attendance: 14,000-15,000
support act: Frank Black
soundcheck: Not for You, MFC, Off He Goes, Last Kiss, I Got You, Hail Hail
set: Sometimes, Go, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Dissident, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Lukin, Wishlist, Jeremy, Daughter/(Hey Hey My My), Not for You, Off He Goes, Better Man, Rearviewmirror, Black, Last Exit
enc 1: Do the Evolution, Nothingman, Alive, Leaving Here
enc 2: Yellow Ledbetter, BABA O'RILEY!!!!
notes: Band is relaxed and playing well; however, the crowd is a little too sedate. The set is cut short with "Last Exit," Eddie inciting the crowd by doing these Vegas-style lunges towards the crowd. This all changes with an incredibly intense 'DTE' and is culminated when, during 'Alive,' Eddie walks around the stage, applauding the kids dancing in the empty seats in the back, and CLIMBS INTO THE CROWD for more than a few minutes. The band returns to play 'Yellow Ledbetter,' and are about to leave when Eddie goes over to the band members and asks them if they feel like one more, picks up a tambourine, and, yep, 'Baba O'Riley' bringing the house down.
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I recently celebrated my 10 yr, too. July 2, 98 St. Louis.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I was there, too, and it was my first PJ show, as well. I wish I remembered more, but reading the setlist just now brought back a few memory flashes. Our seats were initially on the side, but in the very last row of the PC, so we opted to go behind the stage, on Stone's side, to be closer. (I doubt the sound was much worse than it would have been in our original location.)

I still have my GtF "wrap-around" shirt but didn't understand the significance of the posters then, so I didn't buy one. It would be nice to have, but I'm not going to go over the moon for it. If I really want to, I'm sure I can find a high quality resolution image of it and put that in a frame someday.

I always forget when the gigiversaries (:p) are ... the only one I always remember is Seattle II. So thank you. :)
  • Options
    Angie-laAngie-la Posts: 44
    This was my first show too! I had to beg my parents to let me travel to Van to go to the show, and I spent most of my savings to get there! It was amazing. I remember we got to the venue early and we sat outside in the sunshine listening to the sound check in the afternoon. Wow. I can't believe it has been 10 years already!
    Vancouver 1998 - Calgary, Edmonton 2005 - San Francisco I & II 2006 - Vancouver I & II 2008 (EV) - Calgary, Vancouver, San Diego 2009 - Dublin 2010 - Seattle 2011 (EV) - Alpine Valley, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, 2011 - Stockholm, Copenhagen 2012 - Phoenix, LA1, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver 2013 - Mountain View 2014 - Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto 2016 - NYC 2017, London, Seattle, Missoula 2018
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    one last bump before the day is over!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Thanks for sharing. :)