Options

Man of the Hour

2»

Comments

• Options
    CommonRuleCommonRule Posts: 63
    Good thread. After my borther and I heard it live at Benaroya, we decided to take our dad out to the movie when it came out (as mentioned earlier in the thread, we three were among the few who stayed on to hear the song--knowing it was coming). We took our dad out to dinner afterwards, and the evening gave us a great opportunity to sit back and listen to more of dad's stories and to actually talk about real stuff together.

I had no idea what to expect from the movie, but I figured that if it meant enough for the band to write a song for it, it must be one incredible flick. It really was a great move and was a good bonding moment.

I think a lot of the song's genuine emotinon has to do with Ed's feelings and probable regrets about his relationship (or rather lack of one) with his own dad--dads're hard guys to deal with, and sometime's its hard to get them to get past their stories and deal with us on a real level. Here's hopin' that the song/movie give a small push to those guys among us to be real when our kids some day wanna know what's real--even if we don't have a clue.
    "If you hate somethin, don't you do it too!"

"Then I get to thinkin -- I don't wanna think; I wanna feel."
  • Options
    i literally cried when i heard this song for the first time...then again when i first heard the benaroya performance......[/qoute]

same here...i watched it on comcast and i cried...im soo glad im not the only one. it really is a touching song
    Silence in golden, but duck tape is silver
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I cried at the end of Big Fish. My g/f didn't, but I did. I dunno... its sorta a man's chick flick.

MOTH is a beautiful fucking song, indeed.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I cried at the end of Big Fish. My g/f didn't, but I did. I dunno... its sorta a man's chick flick.

MOTH is a beautiful fucking song, indeed.

hehe....yes. i think hubby teared up a bit at the end too. however, he did not got very emotional over the song, which for me, sooooo touching. altho i cried too - so there goes your theory. :p

i hope i get to hear it again played live in canada, that would be just soooo perfect again. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    It gets to me.
  • Options
    the end of this tune so affects me. the whole song does of course....but the ending...and just eds voice, how it trails off some, low.....this song is utter tragic, beautiful perfection for me.....and never fails to make me think of my own father...

the broken seams along the way
    the rusted signs, they're just for me
    he was guiding me, love, his own way
    now the man of the hour
    has taken his final bow
    as the curtain comes down
    i feel that this is just
    goodbye for now
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    dreamncolordreamncolor Posts: 380
    *bump* for a real fave....a song that always touches me in such a heartfelt way, it's indescribable. just glad the music and lyrics are out here for us all.
  • Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I went to see Big Fish at the cinema the day I was told my nan was dying.

I heard the song at the end and I was in tears for hours

The song reminds me of the colours gold, yellow and orange. I don't know why... maybe the autumnal feel from the movie and the idea of seeing a bright light from heaven.

It's such a beautiful song
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    I don't really have anything profound to add after all your intense stories.

But, there is nothing better than a good song from a good movie.

Everyone has their own opinions and they are free to think what they want. But I am literally in shock when I meet someone who didn't love "Big Fish." I really don't understand how that's possible.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    ... I mean seriously, where can you get so much fun, laughter, excitement, imagination and sadness in the span of 2 hours?

also, totally love Man of the Hour. At the 2004 VFC warm up show in Boston, I could (through my binoculars) see Boom's copy of the setlist. I almost freaked when I saw "Man of the Hour" listed.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    *bump*
    i've had this tune in my head today...especially...."nature has it's own religion"......beautiful imagery.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I become silent inside and out when I hear this song.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I become silent inside and out when I hear this song.

what a GREAT way of wording it. :)
    you're so right

this song has been in my mind a lot the past couple days.....

nature has it's own religion, gospel of the land......

i never, ever, ever tire of this song....musically or lyrically.......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Does it stir you more then Thumbing my way?
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I'm 43, have a son of my own, this song gets to me everytime I hear it...just reading the lyrics, especially the last verse gives me the chills and tears. Beautiful song, this and Sleight of Hand always bring tears to the eyes.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    You are not alone my friend.
    Lost my dad when he was 49.
    Vedder could not have struck a more pertinent nerve than that one.
    It's in my sig.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options

for me personally, absolutely.
    i also strongly identify with the lyrics, and the loss....having lost my own father 16 years ago.

and this:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=210183
    has all the more made it that much more special to me, and sure, made the milan boot a personal fave :p....and the italian tour in general an amazing memory for me.

from the first time i heard the song i have strongly identified....and just the combination of music and lyrics goes right thru me. thumbing my way is a beautiful and gorgeous song, but it does not have the same affect on me as man of the hour.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

These two songs are almost guaranteed to bring me to tears. I lost my father when I was 3, so I never really knew him, but I knew the vacuum where he should have been. "Man of the Hour" reminds me of the man my mom described to me. And the lines...

"Father he enjoyed collisions; others walked away
    A snowflake falls in May."

just tear me apart because he died in a car accident in May, 1975.

The lyrics to "Thumbing My Way" remind me of the things I went through after my mother committed suicide when I was 18, especially the opening line about not being home since she left.

E.V. is such an amazing lyricist. I was talking to my son the other day about lyrics and such and I told him that I couldn't think of a single E.V. song that didn't have at least 1 line or turn of phrase that made me think "damn, I wish I had written that!"
  • Options
    JaqRoyJaqRoy Posts: 37
    this song is so good. its crazy
  • Options
    OCD4PJOCD4PJ Posts: 15
    It is a really sad song...lol even the guitar chords make me cry...
  • Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    Love, Love triple love this song.
    Did not care for Big Fish.
  • Options
    and this made it over as well, afterall!
    hmmm.....even when using search, i apparently don't get it......haha.
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I guess I'm not alone :) this song reminds me of my dad too...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    I think it is amazing how great this song is both in the context of the film and how it also applies to so many peoples lives and the feelings that they feel when they happen to have tragedy strike them. Overall a very powerful and moving song.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    Deaderman wrote:
    Seeing as how I was there when my dad died, the scene where he was there for his dad made me cry a lot and then the song came on and brought even more tears. I've chosen not to watch that movie again.
    IAM JESUS CHRIST THE ONLY SON OF THE FATHER BEGOTTEN NOT MADE ONE BEING OF THE FATHJER IN HIS LIKENESS I CAME TO EARTH TO SAVE MANKIND FROM ALL THE EVIL DOERS ON THE EVE OF MASS DESTRUCTION> AMEN
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    I remember seeing Big Fish with my brother when it came out and the reaction of us turning to each other when we heard Pearl Jam playing... Awesome... And it was so fitting, so so great.