Options

80gb iPod video help

NOTHINGFANNOTHINGFAN Posts: 69
edited October 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Just got this new iPod in today, and I already have the latest version of iTunes installed on my PC and songs are already loaded into iTunes. When I plug my iPod into the USB port, it says...

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

So then I hit ok, to restore it, it has the "do not disconnect" on the screen of the iPod.

Then, after that is finished, it then sais...

"Your iPod has been restored to factory settings, and is restarting. Please leave the iPod connected, and it will appear in the source list once it completes the restore process"

Then when I hit OK, it takes me right back to square one where I started.

Can someone help me? What am I doing wrong?
Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    I don't think I can help you. But if you go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ you should find a solution.
  • Options
    wedgewedge Posts: 81
    Instead of formatting it while in iTunes (and through iTunes). Quit iTunes, download the latest "iPod Update" from Apple and run that as a stand alone application. This usually circumvents these types of issues. Note: You want to "restore" the iPod. This wipes any data you may have put on the unit and resets it. Sometimes iTunes keeps files open on the iPod that prevent the unit from a proper restore.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
  • Options
    Hey all,

My girlfriend just got a 60GB video iPod about a month ago. She just had the same problem the other day. I looked and it and figured out that the problem was the drive letter assigned to the iPod. In Windows XP, with removable drives and network mapped drives, XP gets confused. What happens often is that the system assigns the same drive letter to a USB removable drive as you have already assigned to a network mapped drive. You can go to Disk Management (Right-Click My Computer - Choose Manage) to fix the problem. Find out which drive letter has been assigned to the iPod and change that to be something other than your network mapped drive letters. Ask me for more details if you are still stuck. In my case, I had recently added a mapped network drive to her machine to a folder on my desktop that was G: and that was the current default drive letter for her iPod. I switched that to I: and all of those stupid prompts went away. It might not be a bad idea to choose something at the end (like Z:) or something odd for a drive mapping (like Q:). Hope this helps someone. I signed up for the forums just to post this in hopes that it helps someone out there with the same frustrating problem....
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    WOW.
    they have 80 gig ipods nowadays? cool.

my, what a BIG..............ipod you have. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Xantheon wrote:
    Hey all,

My girlfriend just got a 60GB video iPod about a month ago. She just had the same problem the other day. I looked and it and figured out that the problem was the drive letter assigned to the iPod. In Windows XP, with removable drives and network mapped drives, XP gets confused. What happens often is that the system assigns the same drive letter to a USB removable drive as you have already assigned to a network mapped drive. You can go to Disk Management (Right-Click My Computer - Choose Manage) to fix the problem. Find out which drive letter has been assigned to the iPod and change that to be something other than your network mapped drive letters. Ask me for more details if you are still stuck. In my case, I had recently added a mapped network drive to her machine to a folder on my desktop that was G: and that was the current default drive letter for her iPod. I switched that to I: and all of those stupid prompts went away. It might not be a bad idea to choose something at the end (like Z:) or something odd for a drive mapping (like Q:). Hope this helps someone. I signed up for the forums just to post this in hopes that it helps someone out there with the same frustrating problem....

I figured this out before I read this post, but thank you, and everything you said was exactly right. I had our server here at work mapped as my E: drive and when I plugged in my iPod to my computer, XP was getting the two confused. I only had to rename the drive letter to my mapped drive, and everything worked out perfectly.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.