Options

Cannot Clear netBT

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited September 2008 in Technical Stuff and Help
So i can't connect to the internet and Comcast seems to think it is because i had AVG spyware on my computer. I'm not so sure i believe that

I have/had AVG Free 8.0 on my computer and all of a sudden i could no longer connect to the internet. I am running XP. I use Comcast high speed. I had the guys from comcast come out and check the connections and it seems the comcast connect is fine.

they ran a ping test and said it was sent 4 times and received 4 times meaning the signal is getting out and something on my computer was preventing access to internet explorer when i launch it.

Also when i go to repair my local network it gives me an error of Can not Clear NetBT

He checked to see if i had a firewall and i do not. he then asked if i had any virus software and i said yes AVG. He said most likely that the software was doing something to stop IE from launching. So i uninstalled AVG (went to control panel, uninstall programs, selected AVG etc) Well i'm having the same problem. He said that somehow the software may have changed something while it was on the computer.

I tried to find a tech support number (since i have no internet access at home) and was unable to. I'm at a loss of what to do or even try.

Can anyone offer advice?
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i doubt avg would be your problem, it works a lot better than any of the popular free programs!
    try re installing IE.
    control panel, add/remove programs and select add remove windows components.
    de select the tick next to IE.
    when that is done, re install it the same way.

alternatativly, download firefox elsewhere, istall that and forget all about the crab that IE is!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    i doubt avg would be your problem, it works a lot better than any of the popular free programs!
    try re installing IE.
    control panel, add/remove programs and select add remove windows components.
    de select the tick next to IE.
    when that is done, re install it the same way.

alternatativly, download firefox elsewhere, istall that and forget all about the crab that IE is!

I would download firefox but i can't access the internet at all to try that.

I may try reinstalling IE

thanks,
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    so ... basically IE isn't starting ...

internet connection is up, but it's your browser that's bothering you...?

try a ping to http://www.whatever.something from the command line to see if your connection works.
    if so, reinstall IE as mentioned already or try to download another browser via commandline (it is possible, although I'm not sure how anymore)
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    so ... basically IE isn't starting ...

internet connection is up, but it's your browser that's bothering you...?

try a ping to http://www.whatever.something from the command line to see if your connection works.
    if so, reinstall IE as mentioned already or try to download another browser via commandline (it is possible, although I'm not sure how anymore)

much thanks. I'll have to try this over the weekend when i'm at home.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Put this on a cd/usb drive:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Then run in on your box at home.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Put this on a cd/usb drive:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Then run in on your box at home.

This looks cool. My jump drive is at home. I'll have to bring it to work monday if i don't figure this shit out over the weekend.

thank you!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22