Options

Audio Editing?

bacojbacoj Posts: 120
edited September 2008 in Technical Stuff and Help
I have some audio that needs some serious work and I've heard Audacity is pretty good but it's still a little over my head. Anyone have experience editing concert recordings? My project is unique and very intersting. PM me if you like.
mmmmm, it does go well with the chicken.....delicious again peter

E. Troy 98, E. Lansing 98, Barrie 98, Hartford 98, Noblesville 00, Detroit 00, E. Troy 00, Champaign 03, Detroit 03 x 2, Grand Rapids 06, Detroit 06, EV Milwaukee 08, SLC 09, Missoula 12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    What kind of work? Just cutting, click and pop removal, that kind of stuff? Or like a hard limiter or hiss removal? Go with the best algorithm you can afford for anything that requires real adjustments to what you'll hear.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    CD Wave Editor is very good. I split a 30+ audio recording into individual tracks.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    CD Wave Editor is very good. I split a 30+ audio recording into individual tracks.

I second that! CD Wave makes the cuts on sector boundaries. If you don't do that you'll end up with little gaps between tracks, even if you burn disc-at-once. I don't think it does anything besides cutting but it is a tool I couldn't live with out for DAT > FLAC conversion.
  • Options
    bacojbacoj Posts: 120
    Thanks for the responses. I've returned a few PM's but I'll describe the problem here too. The recording was done with mic levels set way too high. There's an un-listenable amount of distortion from crowd cheering and sing alongs. Some songs are pretty clean and don't need any work, some are way too far gone and can't be saved, and the majority of songs have distortion at the beginning and end but are so close to being ok. Anyone with experience in high mic level distortion please PM me or post. Thanks!!!
    mmmmm, it does go well with the chicken.....delicious again peter

E. Troy 98, E. Lansing 98, Barrie 98, Hartford 98, Noblesville 00, Detroit 00, E. Troy 00, Champaign 03, Detroit 03 x 2, Grand Rapids 06, Detroit 06, EV Milwaukee 08, SLC 09, Missoula 12
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    bacoj wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. I've returned a few PM's but I'll describe the problem here too. The recording was done with mic levels set way too high. There's an un-listenable amount of distortion from crowd cheering and sing alongs. Some songs are pretty clean and don't need any work, some are way too far gone and can't be saved, and the majority of songs have distortion at the beginning and end but are so close to being ok. Anyone with experience in high mic level distortion please PM me or post. Thanks!!!
    oh this is more complicated than just editing/chopping the file. :p too techy for my skills, best of luck though.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Cool edit is my favorite. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    If your audio is red, it's lost. Nothing you can do about it. You can always raise audio that is initially set too low, but once your sound clips from levels set too high that data is gone forever.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    If your audio is red, it's lost. Nothing you can do about it. You can always raise audio that is initially set too low, but once your sound clips from levels set too high that data is gone forever.

Right, but don't you think the right algorithm could minimize that irritating clipping sound by guessing some data to fill in?

Normally I am against adulterating a recording, but if it sounds bad and means a lot to the taper, I think it's worth a try.

Melissa
  • Options
    soundtrack pro for mac is awesome if you roll up your sleves and get into it.
    But to be honest it sounds to be a lost cause. May be fade the bad parts out and take what you got. Of start hunting for another source.

Which band? if you cant say pm me i might have. I got tons of shit
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Jeanie wrote:
    Cool edit is my favorite. :)
    I ² that
    We used Cool Edit Pro in college and it's easy to use as well as it is pretty versatile

You could try eliminating certain frequencies and isolating certain parts. I'm pretty sure you could make them to an acceptable level. Also has a pretty good noise reduction filter preset
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07