uhh, i think i damaged my processor

Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
edited January 2008 in Technical Stuff and Help
so my cooling fan had been running high the last lil' while, not always but when accessing youtube or running a few progs at the same time, so i decided to clean up the dust this afternoon,

maybe i went a lil' overboard, i completly detached it from the mobo/chip (glue and all) & dusted it off, now the fan is running allllllll the time, i just had it shut off on me and it detected something wrong w/ the hardware at start-up, argh.

does this sound like a simple fix or should i back up my files and invest in a new tower.

thanks for any input

ps : it's a compaq presario S5200NX 2.7Ghz 1gb ram (maxed out)
"ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    invest in a mac
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    so my cooling fan had been running high the last lil' while, not always but when accessing youtube or running a few progs at the same time, so i decided to clean up the dust this afternoon,

maybe i went a lil' overboard, i completly detached it from the mobo/chip (glue and all) & dusted it off, now the fan is running allllllll the time, i just had it shut off on me and it detected something wrong w/ the hardware at start-up, argh.

does this sound like a simple fix or should i back up my files and invest in a new tower.

thanks for any input

ps : it's a compaq presario S5200NX 2.7Ghz 1gb ram (maxed out)
    well...there is thermal grease between the heatsink/fan and the processor. the thermal grease assists with heat transfer between the processor and heat sink. when you removed the heatsink/fan to clean up the dust, did you clean off the old grease and apply new grease before putting it back together?

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    DarkStar wrote:
    well...there is thermal grease between the heatsink/fan and the processor. the thermal grease assists with heat transfer between the processor and heat sink. when you removed the heatsink/fan to clean up the dust, did you clean off the old grease and apply new grease before putting it back together?

ds
    that's the first thing that popped into my head as well, especially when you referred to it as 'glue' :)

i'd try putting some new 'glue' between your chip body and the heatsink before trying anything else. The stuff is pretty easy to find and pretty cheap too... Mind it's poisonous, though .
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07