Options

registry cleaner

manic mindmanic mind Posts: 84
edited April 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
I think my computer needs a registry cleaning program. It's acting like it's going to crash. It's freezing upon restart and I'm getting lines throught the screen when I move my mouse across the screen. I've also gotten something called a DLL error and it's moving really slow. I'm new at this so I'm not sure what I need to do. I've done a little searching online but could use some advice. Does anyone know where I could download a registry cleaning program for free? Any advice?
Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Couple of questions:
    1) Do you use anti-virus software? Is it current and have you run a system scan lately?
    2) Do you use anti-spyware software? Same questions as above.

if the answer is no to the above two questions, then before anything else I would get those, get them current, and run some system scans
  • Options
    Couple of questions:
    1) Do you use anti-virus software? Is it current and have you run a system scan lately?
    2) Do you use anti-spyware software? Same questions as above.

if the answer is no to the above two questions, then before anything else I would get those, get them current, and run some system scans

Yes I do use an Anti-virus & Anti-spyware. I have used both of them regularly and update them everyday. I found a few Spyware items today and removed them but am still having problems.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    You can google a microsoft cleaner. It works really well, but I'd google anything in it that you don't know exactly what it is. Also check all the stuff you have automatically running and end it. Google all that first too! Good luck. If all else fails, back up everything and reformat.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    In that case, how old is your system? What is your processor's speed? How much free space is on the hard drive? When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive(s)?

I'm trying to find something that can be fixed without using a registry cleaner. From the things I have read, using a registry cleaner is not a great thing to do because they can cause more problems than just fixing a current problem.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    True. I normally just use them when programs don't fully uninstall themselves.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    manic mind wrote:
    I think my computer needs a registry cleaning program. It's acting like it's going to crash. It's freezing upon restart and I'm getting lines throught the screen when I move my mouse across the screen. I've also gotten something called a DLL error and it's moving really slow. I'm new at this so I'm not sure what I need to do. I've done a little searching online but could use some advice. Does anyone know where I could download a registry cleaning program for free? Any advice?

Download 'Registry Mechanic' from 'Astalavista.us'.

Edit: Also download these free software packages:
    'CWshredder'
    'Adaware'
    'Sygate Personal Firewall'
    AV personal edition
    Spyware Blaster
    Hijack This
  • Options
    HerboHerbo Posts: 63
    maybe run "trend micro housecall" free online virus zapper, Its worked wonders for me. (it can be slow first time you use it but be patient)

anything JAVA ? fuck it off until you really need it. It slows down your system greatly.

do a defrag.

hope this helps.
    Take a bottle drink it down..... pass it around !
  • Options
    In that case, how old is your system? What is your processor's speed? How much free space is on the hard drive? When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive(s)?

I'm trying to find something that can be fixed without using a registry cleaner. From the things I have read, using a registry cleaner is not a great thing to do because they can cause more problems than just fixing a current problem.

It's just over a year old. Processor 3200+

102 GB free space left. I just defraged it a couple of days ago.

I'm just not sure what to do. I don't want to run out and buy stuff if I don't know what's wrong or if it will even help. I really don't want to do something that will make it worse. Thanks for any and all help. I'm really lost here.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Download 'Registry Mechanic' from 'Astalavista.us'.

Edit: Also download these free software packages:
    'CWshredder'
    'Adaware'
    'Sygate Personal Firewall'
    AV personal edition
    Spyware Blaster
    Hijack This

I've already tried some of the free Registry cleaners. I tried Registry Mechanic. I'm not sure if it was that one or another one I used but they will only fix anywhere from 5-15 errors. It didn't help the problems I'm having. I have Spyware Blaster, Ad Aware and AVG. I will try the rest and see if it helps. I'm pretty sure I saw Hijack this on my computer but I've never used it and I'm not sure how it got there. *scratches head*

Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    manic mind wrote:
    I've already tried some of the free Registry cleaners. I tried Registry Mechanic. I'm not sure if it was that one or another one I used but they will only fix anywhere from 5-15 errors.

This is because you were running the trial version. Just download the crack/serial number from astalavista.us
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    download

spybot search and destory
    ad aware se

and run them both in safe mode - restart and when the computer boots up press f8.

also run an antivirus check in safe mode.

after you have done this, use windows to defrag your partitions.

If you can pay, get registry mechanic and do the same.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I've used EasyCleaner/ToniArts for a few years. It's free and it's simple to use.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Byrnzie wrote:
    This is because you were running the trial version. Just download the crack/serial number from astalavista.us
    Can we openly say stuff like that on these boards?

Wow, ... not many bbs' allow this
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    Can we openly say stuff like that on these boards?

Wow, ... not many bbs' allow this

I was just repeating what I've heard. Of course I wouldn't do this myself. :o

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the nudge to the mods. Appreciated! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Byrnzie wrote:

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the nudge to the mods. Appreciated! :rolleyes:
    I was just wondering ...
    Wasn't sure :o

srry
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options