Options

LInux?

Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
edited March 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
For the most part I suspect that, the majority of users on here are Windows base. I was wondering if any users are using Linux, the Ubuntu 6.10 (x64) or (x86) editions?

I just made a switch (partly) and I have to say, for the most part I love it. Windows is cluttered with application data and half un-installed programs. I haven't a firm grasp on the terminal yet, in due time I suppose.

Any advice for a "newbie"?
I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Don't get tempted to log in as the root user everytime... bad habit ...

For the rest... remember that linux, unlike windows, assumes you have a functional brain, and does not need 357 acknowledgements to execute a command. Be careful when deleting stuff :)

There's so much to say ... I'm still leanring as well, and this advice was based on personal experience :o
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    BookOneBookOne Posts: 14
    Aloof, that's all.
  • Options
    rmnsf936rmnsf936 Posts: 58
    Ubuntu is great but spend time learning how to use it or you will get shrewd. It can be frustrating at first.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I'm giving Linux a go tomorrow.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    solracsolrac Posts: 21
    Linux can be awesome if you know what you are doing. I just installed Xubuntu on my father's crappy old computer and it's been working like a charm ever since. It has finally gotten to a point where ordinary computer users can rely on it as their main OS. Next computer I build will be running some flavor of Linux. :D
    7.18.06 (Finally!)
    6.22.08 (With my little bro!)
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    I just went Mac. OS X is a great OS. Fuck Windows
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.