Options

FLAC and iTunes

BulldozerBulldozer Posts: 1
edited May 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I'm pretty sure I understand what FLAC is, but does it work with iTunes and iPods? Do you have to do anything special with these files, or is it the same as downloading Mp3? I would appreciate the help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Bulldozer wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I understand what FLAC is, but does it work with iTunes and iPods? Do you have to do anything special with these files, or is it the same as downloading Mp3? I would appreciate the help.

Depends on if you're using a Mac or Windows. There is a plugin out there, just google itunes and flac and you'll find it, for OS X to play Flac files in itunes. They won't play on your ipod though. Not sure about windows, since I don't really use it.
  • Options
    BabochskaBabochska Posts: 34
    There should be some plugin out on the net for playing FLAC in Itunes. If you wan't to play them in you're Ipod you must download another firmware, here's a link to an open source firmware for Ipod that can handle FLAC files.

http://www.rockbox.org/
    ~=Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. =~
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    If you d/l the FLACs you will have to convert the FLACs to WAV using FLAC frontend, and then convert the WAVs to AAC using iTunes, voila!
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    ctvedhead wrote:
    If you d/l the FLACs you will have to convert the FLACs to WAV using FLAC frontend, and then convert the WAVs to AAC using iTunes, voila!

If you're going to do that to the files you might as well just purchase the MP3 versions.
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    I agree with you but at least with FLAC you have all your options, burn to cd vs convert to mp3. I like to have the option to burn to cd without click at track markers.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    doug225 wrote:
    I went to the website for flac software. it said there was a program called apple lossless, which tells me you can get lossless on your apple. It also had a link to say that it was compatible with ipod. I am still trying to do it all as we speak, But I hope to get it all into windows flac for my car cds and apple lossless for my ipod. I haven't done it yet because I just learned about flac in the last couple of days so we shall see how successful I am with it.

You could probably convert the FLAC to wav, and then in iTunes go to Apple Lossless, which would give you what you want.