Options

getting started w/ flac files, bittorrent, etc.

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
all right, i think i'm a total moron, but i need help getting started with flac files.

i downloaded bittorrent, and then went over to http://www.youkanfakoff.com to grab some pj flac files. i downloaded one show from that website, and then opened it in bittorrent. the program is processing the file, but it's taking for-fucking-ever. it's been going for 20 minutes, is 0.4% complete, and i have 1 day and 19hours remaining until it's done.

basically, what the hell am i doing wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    i sent you a pm but you arent doing anything wrong. your bit torrent ports are probably blocked behind your router meaning it will take a long time to download the files. just keep it on, you will get it eventually
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    got your pm - thanks again for your help!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    the more seeds and leechers it goes faster

if you get more seeds than leechers its even faster - BUt as these are small websites it wont go above more than 100 ever i doubt

if you forward ports and configure stuff, even faster.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    There are also many bittorrent programs which do are better for some than others, and lowering your upload speed so your dl speed can move faster (necessary for dsl connections) is often useful.
    BitLord has a port feature that is basically there to do your port forwarding for you (it's the one I use).
    Azerus and uh, one sec....uTorrent...yeah, that's it, I have tried and found them both to be mega-resource hogs.
    And Brisk has a good point about seeders/leechers. Small websites don't often have the best fan support. I personally go for the membership sites that require upload/download ratios of a certain % for you to use, so I set my upload speed to almost nothing until whatever I'm downloading downloads, then crank it and let it upload to whomever when I'm not using my pc.