Options

I-Pod Help NEEDED (easy question for those who know!)

Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
edited May 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Hi...OK This is simple to those who know (not me.....)

My computer crashed and my hard drive has been wiped clean...SO...Here's my question.... I've been told that if I download new stuff...my I-pod may automatically erase all the music that is on it. I haven't even downloaded I-Tunes yet. So, is this true? Could this happen ? How would this happen and how can I ensure that it doesn't?

I need the new CD on my I-Pod!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    LovetheJam wrote:
    Hi...OK This is simple to those who know (not me.....)

My computer crashed and my hard drive has been wiped clean...SO...Here's my question.... I've been told that if I download new stuff...my I-pod may automatically erase all the music that is on it. I haven't even downloaded I-Tunes yet. So, is this true? Could this happen ? How would this happen and how can I ensure that it doesn't?

I need the new CD on my I-Pod!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know stuff about pc's.. finding it a bit hard to believe, how you pc crashed and your hardrive all of a sudden just wiped clean :S:S:S how did it crash? any ideas why? install any programs ??

maybe your better off contacting apple ?
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I know stuff about pc's.. finding it a bit hard to believe, how you pc crashed and your hardrive all of a sudden just wiped clean :S:S:S how did it crash? any ideas why? install any programs ??

maybe your better off contacting apple ?

Hi... Thanks for responding... Welll..it crashed beacuse I had no virtual memory left?? Due to some kind of virus-y thing...or something.... SO..... In order to just salvage the PC itself (It happened during LEG ONE TICKET SALE WEEK!!! = PANIC!) I called Toshiba (maker of my laptop) and just ran a restore disc...and restored the entire computer to its factory settings...

I guess I should do what you said and call apple...good idea...

I really need a new computer...but if I had a new computer I would have the same issue... wouldn't I?
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    LovetheJam wrote:
    Hi... Thanks for responding... Welll..it crashed beacuse I had no virtual memory left?? Due to some kind of virus-y thing...or something.... SO..... In order to just salvage the PC itself (It happened during LEG ONE TICKET SALE WEEK!!! = PANIC!) I called Toshiba (maker of my laptop) and just ran a restore disc...and restored the entire computer to its factory settings...

I guess I should do what you said and call apple...good idea...

I really need a new computer...but if I had a new computer I would have the same issue... wouldn't I?

Please do not fall into those money making companies traps. You dont need a new pc. All you need is someone to come round your house or something and erformat your pc. That means just deleteing windows, so you loose everything etc, gets rid of everything. zilch. and then you just install windows again. So you have a fresh "new" pc.

And no, if you install Antivirus and firewall there will be no virus which can kill your memory :P
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 367
    Now how about an answer to the original question ...

Yes, iTunes will wipe the player by default, as your library will be empty. I'm not sure how to avoid this. Personally, I don't use iTunes. I would suggest contact Apple to see how they suggest moving forward, keeping the content on the iPod.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    The first time you jack the iPod in, it'll think its to a new PC and ask you if you want to sync automatically. Tell it no, and then put it into manual update mode. You should see the songs on the iPod, and you can use some third party utility to pull the songs off the iPod and into iTunes, as Apple doesn't support that. That should do it.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    So you actually want to hear from those who know?

:p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    So you actually want to hear from those who know?

:p

Hey! That's pretty FUNNY! :)
  • Options
    moster78 wrote:
    The first time you jack the iPod in, it'll think its to a new PC and ask you if you want to sync automatically. Tell it no, and then put it into manual update mode. You should see the songs on the iPod, and you can use some third party utility to pull the songs off the iPod and into iTunes, as Apple doesn't support that. That should do it.

I was with you until the third party utility part. What do you mean by that ?

THANKS so much for your help

and everyone else, too.

THANKS!
  • Options
    KELLYS LEASHKELLYS LEASH Posts: 184
    Third Party blah blah --- basically you will need software like ipod rip- podworks -ipod agent all software that enables you to put songs from off your ipod into your itunes folder. you can get these from http://www.versiontracker.com most are freeware some may have limitations
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Options
    fotdfotd Posts: 514
    ilounge.com has articles about how to transfer songs from an iPod to a PC
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.