Options

bittorrent Downloads

elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
edited January 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
does this always take an age??? Been on isohunt downloadin RATMalbum, estimated time for this was bout10hrs?????? is this the norm, anyway to speed up???? appreciate any advice if any solutions.........you see im in spain at moment and electricity very expensive
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    erm, check my other topic, i explained everything there
  • Options
    also use, bitlord or azereues
  • Options
    What are these bit toorents people speak of? I never downloaded one or tried I always just ignored them because I was too lazy to find out about them. Once I donwload a bit torrent is there some sort of a program that I should get that converts them into some useable file thing?
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    http://www.bittornado.com will give you some advice.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    does this always take an age??? Been on isohunt downloadin RATMalbum, estimated time for this was bout10hrs?????? is this the norm, anyway to speed up???? appreciate any advice if any solutions.........you see im in spain at moment and electricity very expensive

if there are fewer people connected it will go slower. there are times where it takes me 7-8 hours for a show and times that i get it done in a couple hours.
  • Options
    trust me

bitlord or azerues are the best
  • Options
    Hey all.
    I am no stranger to downloading concerts and what not but since I got my new laptop I am unable to connect to the host site and download anything. Do I need to open ports though my firewall to enable this. I have never had to before and was just wondering if any of you guys/girls would be able to help me out with this one.

Thanks
    Jamhead
    Jamhead

jeremy_cross3@hotmail.com
    Montreal/03, Boston/04, Montreal/05, Halifax/05, Hartford/06, Boston/06
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    i am trying to looad the pj2003 hob show...i ...well it see,s like i keep going in circles trying to load this thing ....man this is frustrating errrrrrrrrrr
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

A bit torrent of a show is a directory full of audio files. It is a large stream of data. Typical 2 hour show is around 1 Gig, but that depends on some encoding parameters, whether FLAC or SHN lossless compression is applied to the WAV files, etc. Yes you need to port forward on your firewall. The Bit Torrent FAQs will help you there.

There is no magic bullet, here, people. It is a huge fat lot of information and it will take a huge fat lot of time to get to you. It will depend on if there are seeds available (if copies of the files are online). You will be connected to peers which might have partial copies of the files you need. you will get data from many of your peers simulteously which makes things go faster. You will share your files with peers (even before you have completed the download).

However, many torrents are orphaned (with no seeds available) which means it will take infinity-time to get to you since IT AIN'T THERE and you can't have what there isn't.

make sense so far?

you need a bit torrent client on your computer
    AND you need to be signed up with a bit torrent tracker

The tracker holds the link which you can follow to start the download (after you have the bit torrent client installed). The tracker will also let you be a seed once you have completely downloaded the concert you want.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOUR DOWNLOAD IN THE DIRECTORY WHERE IT WAS DOWNLOADED AND TO KEEP YOUR BIT TORRENT CLIENT OPEN IF YOU WANT TO SEED/SHARE THE CONCERT AFTER YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED IT. I don't use capitals lightly, but the idea is to share. Many clients will tell you how many times a given concert has been shared off your machine. It is considered good form to keep seeding the concert as long as possible so that others can access it. It's a team thing, not a personal thing. Be a team player with the torrents.

This, of course, presumes that you are torrenting things that are permitted to be shared. I suspect that certain PJ torrents would be tolerated while others would be discouraged.

Torrents are not limited to audio files. They could be video, games, or any other digital data. If there's a tracker for it (you see the tracker as a website).

good luck.

Dance and Sing along with Shed Devils at http://www.sheddevils.com/
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    utorrent is the best bittorrent client, bar none.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    thanks for clearing that up ...seems compilcated but ...clear enough
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

torrents arn't meant to go that fast, only if you get something insanely popular like, limewire pro or some other shit like that then you will see 200kb

but torrents are just very safe and its not bad at 30-100kb anyway
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    torrents arn't meant to go that fast, only if you get something insanely popular like, limewire pro or some other shit like that then you will see 200kb

but torrents are just very safe and its not bad at 30-100kb anyway

I get 200+ kbps on most torrents, you guys just have to sign up to private trackers and seed instead of jumping on public trackers and have very slow downloads.