Options

iTunes/iPod Help

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
edited February 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I went legit and bought several songs from the iTunes Music Store last week....

After they were downloaded into my library, I imported them into my iPod.

Now, I am unable to play them in my iPod...what gives? I get an exclaimation point.

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    I went legit and bought several songs from the iTunes Music Store last week....

After they were downloaded into my library, I imported them into my iPod.

Now, I am unable to play them in my iPod...what gives? I get an exclaimation point.

PBM
    i would try to import again...(delete them from your library and then drag them from the purchased music section again? i think you can do that?)
    something could have happened while you were updating your ipod and the songs could have been corrupted

but dont quote me on that........ :eek:
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    For some reason, I think it has to do with purchasing them from the Music Store.

Don't they give you so many computers to play them on?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    For some reason, I think it has to do with purchasing them from the Music Store.

Don't they give you so many computers to play them on?

PBM
    i only use one comp w/mine
    and once its downloaded then thats it, youd have to buy it again...
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    i only use one comp w/mine
    and once its downloaded then thats it, youd have to buy it again...

Friend of mine would send me songs he bought at the Music Store...he gave me his password and I am authorized to play them.

I will re-import tonight.

I don't think I've had this problem before....strange.

PBM

• Options
    Friend of mine would send me songs he bought at the Music Store...he gave me his password and I am authorized to play them.

I will re-import tonight.

I don't think I've had this problem before....strange.

PBM
    how does that work???
  • Options
    thatgirl wrote:
    how does that work???

When you log into the Music Store, you have a user name and password.

He downloaded a song and emailed it to me. When I went to open it up, it asked for his username and password, so that it could verify my computer and authorize it for use.

He sent me an acoustic version of Fell In Love With a Girl and it plays in my iPod.

PBM

• Options
    When you log into the Music Store, you have a user name and password.

He downloaded a song and emailed it to me. When I went to open it up, it asked for his username and password, so that it could verify my computer and authorize it for use.

He sent me an acoustic version of Fell In Love With a Girl and it plays in my iPod.

PBM

I think what you did was move the files, or your ipod pulls files from a different location than where your downloads from itunes are stored. You need to figure out where your other music comes from and get those downloaded songs into that "folder" or "drive" or whatever and you should be set...

the ipod knows the songs were somewhere and that is why it has them on there, but it can't find them. the "!" should pop up in itunes too...correct?
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    the "!" should pop up in itunes too...correct?

Oddly enough...no. I can play them fine from my library.

PBM

• Options
    cat72cat72 Oxford, MA Posts: 2,992
    you know I have the opposite problem with some songs. They play in my ipod, show up in my library, but I can't play them in the library, I get the ! too. When I update, it tells me it can't find those songs, but they are stil in the ipod.
  • Options
    A little off topic,

But my girlfriend has one and she uses it at my house because she only has Windows 95,

So, she charges it here and stuff and downloaded iTunes here, but the other day, her songs were randomly wiped off her iPod???

It sitting right in front of me reading "Do not disconnect" but I want to try and get her songs back on it??

Anyone know what happened??? and how to fix it??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    A little off topic,

But my girlfriend has one and she uses it at my house because she only has Windows 95,

So, she charges it here and stuff and downloaded iTunes here, but the other day, her songs were randomly wiped off her iPod???

It sitting right in front of me reading "Do not disconnect" but I want to try and get her songs back on it??

The only time I know of this happening is because the iPod is set to automatic updating, and the songs you have on the iPod are gone from the library in your comp. i.e. You import 5 cd's, update your iPod, delete the cd's from your comp, next time you update your iPod on that comp it will erase those files. This can be prevented if you plug in your iPod, open iTunes go to preferences, click on iPod preferences and set to manually update. Your iPod has to be plugged in order for you to set the preferences in iTunes. If this is not why it happened, then i have no clue and just made you lose 30 seconds of your day, sorry.

As to the whole "someone gave me legit files from the music store and some play in the library and some only on my iPod" thing. When you buy a song from the iTunes music store you can authorize via your password from the music store to play in 5 computers, but they can play in as many iPods as you want. That's all I know, hopefully it helped some of you.
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Options
    Bo,

It does help...my co-worker told me that I need to authorize my work computer and iPod.

PBM

• Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Does anyone else's iPod go to sleep and take quite a bit of effort to get it back on?

I have a 30GB video and if I don't use it for a day or so, I will go to resume a song, and I have to power it back up to where the little apple logo appears, and it has cleared whatever song I was playing and it displays the main menu.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    Does anyone else's iPod go to sleep and take quite a bit of effort to get it back on?

I have a 30GB video and if I don't use it for a day or so, I will go to resume a song, and I have to power it back up to where the little apple logo appears, and it has cleared whatever song I was playing and it displays the main menu.

do you have it in the dock station with the computer off?
    So is he?
    No tradebacks...
  • Options
    Oddly enough...no. I can play them fine from my library.

PBM

that is weird. did you check to make sure everything is being pulled from the same drive/my music folder...?
    So is he?
    No tradebacks...
  • Options
    do you have it in the dock station with the computer off?

Nope.

(tencharacters)
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    A little off topic,

if you update it from the wrong location, it will update nothing and wipe all the songs out. somehow, i think, a setting was changed.
    So is he?
    No tradebacks...
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    Nope.

(tencharacters)

was the computer turned on and it in it's docking station?
    So is he?
    No tradebacks...
  • Options
    was the computer turned on and it in it's docking station?

Nope. This is just the iPod all by itself. Not attached to anything.

Next!"
  • Options
    I fixed my problem...in a long round about way...I simply burned the songs onto CD, then reimported them into my library...from there I imported them into my iPod.

Everything works fine now.

PBM

• Options
    Señor Bo wrote:
    The only time I know of this happening is because the iPod is set to automatic updating, and the songs you have on the iPod are gone from the library in your comp. i.e. You import 5 cd's, update your iPod, delete the cd's from your comp, next time you update your iPod on that comp it will erase those files. This can be prevented if you plug in your iPod, open iTunes go to preferences, click on iPod preferences and set to manually update. Your iPod has to be plugged in order for you to set the preferences in iTunes. If this is not why it happened, then i have no clue and just made you lose 30 seconds of your day, sorry.

As to the whole "someone gave me legit files from the music store and some play in the library and some only on my iPod" thing. When you buy a song from the iTunes music store you can authorize via your password from the music store to play in 5 computers, but they can play in as many iPods as you want. That's all I know, hopefully it helped some of you.

Where is this "preferences" you speak of in iTunes??

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    Nevermind I found it.. sorry

.NJD.
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:

I don't have an video one, this happens on my older model (the one before the ones with color screens appeared). Here's the deal, when you shut of your iPod or shuts itself up it doesn't really shut off it goes to sleep so when you use it again it resumes from where it was, when don't use it for a couple of days it does shut down therefore when you turn it on again it boots from the apple logo, my iPod does it after 40 hours or so of non-use or if the battery is empty.
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.