Options

how can you tell if you need more ram?

Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
edited September 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
i probably do, for instance, sometimes when i try to add songs to a playlist it just kinda freezes.

would that be the problem?

thanks for any input
"ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    i probably do, for instance, sometimes when i try to add songs to a playlist it just kinda freezes.

would that be the problem?

thanks for any input

Yeah that can be definetely be the problem..
    How much RAM do you have now ? What kind of operating system ?
    SDRAM or DDR RAM you have ?
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    In my experience on the farm, we used to bring in more RAM when the EWE were lonely.
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    if the rod gets bent then you might want to back off on the ram
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    Yeah that can be definetely be the problem..
    How much RAM do you have now ? What kind of operating system ?
    SDRAM or DDR RAM you have ?

not sure how much i got, just what was installed compaq presario, w/ windows xp home

• Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    not sure how much i got, just what was installed compaq presario, w/ windows xp home

Well with Windows XP you at least need 256MB of Ram to run basic tasks.
    Always good to have 512mb or more though.
    Buy yourself another stick of 256mb or 512 mb and install it.It's really easy to install..
    Open the case locate the memory stick..(There should be at least 1 more free slot to put one in maybe 3) and clip it in..
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Well with Windows XP you at least need 256MB of Ram to run basic tasks.
    Always good to have 512mb or more though.
    Buy yourself another stick of 256mb or 512 mb and install it.It's really easy to install..
    Open the case locate the memory stick..(There should be at least 1 more free slot to put one in maybe 3) and clip it in..

some good thoughts bmd69. it IS easy to upgrade a computer with more RAM...but i just want to comment that it's not a snap, crackle, pop production...you need to know whether or not your computer has any free memory slots...also you need to what kind of memory to buy and how much your computer can handle (there are limitations). L_C, don't let any of this stop you from upgrading yourself...just do some research.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    if your computer starts up slowly, you need more ram.
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    some good thoughts bmd69. it IS easy to upgrade a computer with more RAM...but i just want to comment that it's not a snap, crackle, pop production...you need to know whether or not your computer has any free memory slots...also you need to what kind of memory to buy and how much your computer can handle (there are limitations). L_C, don't let any of this stop you from upgrading yourself...just do some research.

ds

Yeah I know what you mean..look it up on the internet on how to install it if you are unsure..I'm just a pc geek and sometimes think everyone knows how to do that but alot of people actually don't..
    But it is fairly easy to do yourself..read up on it..easiest and cheapest upgrade for most pc's
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    thanks for the wisdom guys,

im gonna get some more on friday/payday, ill pop-up open the tower during the week and keep yas posted hehe

• Options
    celeron cpu 2.70 504mb of ram

so i guess 512 is out of the question?

i got that info from 'system properties'

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    In the meantime, a free little program like RAMBooster might help a bit, if not much:

http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-1400043.html
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    celeron cpu 2.70 504mb of ram

so i guess 512 is out of the question?

i got that info from 'system properties'

504 MB is quite a bit of RAM...I doubt that it's the RAM that is causing the problem you described (freezing)...but it could be. The amount of RAM you have will impact the number of programs you can have open at one time...and the number and kind of tasks you can perform at one time. The more RAM you have, the more tasks/programs you can perform/run.

Have you ever defragmented your hard drive? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? When did the problem start occuring? Before or after a system change (adding/removing hardware or software)?

ds
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    504 MB is quite a bit of RAM...I doubt that it's the RAM that is causing the problem you described (freezing)...but it could be. The amount of RAM you have will impact the number of programs you can have open at one time...and the number and kind of tasks you can perform at one time. The more RAM you have, the more tasks/programs you can perform/run.

Have you ever defragmented your hard drive? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? When did the problem start occuring? Before or after a system change (adding/removing hardware or software)?

ds

hey ds thanks for the info

it started happenin umm maybe during the winter, i actually couldnt de-frag for along long time cuz the hard drive was really full (not enough disc space) since that time i've finally gotten my burner working and cleared off 17gigs, (from 120) and have de-fragged quite recently, as for tasks i usually have it running around 30

besides that, i dont run much, just firefox, 'soulseek' few instant messagers & recently nero

• Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    hey ds thanks for the info

it started happenin umm maybe during the winter, i actually couldnt de-frag for along long time cuz the hard drive was really full (not enough disc space) since that time i've finally gotten my burner working and cleared off 17gigs, (from 120) and have de-fragged quite recently, as for tasks i usually have it running around 30

besides that, i dont run much, just firefox, 'soulseek' few instant messagers & recently nero

well...sounds like you may be ready for a reformat-reinstall of your OS and programs. when is the last time you did this?

ds
  • Options
    hey ds,

yikes, fact of the matter is i've never done that yet!

had the machine for about 2 years now.

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 13
    download
    http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg70free_344a618.exe

install, update, run.

download
    http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10401314.html

install, update(+immunize), run.

then:

start -> control panel -> add/remove programs

and uninstall all the crap which you no doubt have installed, but never use...

THEN...

start -> all programs -> accessories -> system tools -> disc cleanup

get rid of all the other crap you don't use... (window messenger, for example), and delete all restore points prior to the most recent.

then...

start -> all programs -> accessories -> system tools -> defragment

you've done this before...

then...

if you know what hardware you have, go to the manufacturer websites, and get the latest drivers..if you don't know what you have...google for 'aida32', or 'everest', download and install one of them (aida32 v3.93 is the latest, and last release), use it to find out what you have, and update drivers if and where possible/necessary.

if it's a hardware problem, it could be many things...fudged hard drive, fudged motherboard (sometimes a faulty chipset will only be apparent as lag, unless the system is put under high stress)...and celeron CPUs are craptacular..so..it could be that too, but i wouldn't think so if it's only been a problem recently.