Options

Advice for converting CDs to MP3

SlowGlassSlowGlass Posts: 6
edited April 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
Can anyone recommend a good program for importing CDs to MP3?
I have used iTunes since the beginning of last year, and I've had to import nearly my entire CD library TWICE because a good percentage of the imported tracks have read errors (skips / pops / noise).
I don't mind iTunes, but it's big problem is that it has no "safe mode" for importing from CD (i.e. you're not allowed to set the drive to a lower speed to eliminate read errors). Even turning on the "use error correction when reading audio CDs" option won't solve the problem (it actually seems to make it worse), and I know it's not the DVD ROM drive that's to blame either because the same thing is happening with multiple drives on different computers.
Anyway, I'm not going to spend another 30+ hours with iTunes because I doubt things will go any better the 3rd time, so... any recommendations?
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    ok

rip the cd to your hardrive using windows media player or whatever

then get

dbpoweramp

then use that to convert the files to mp3
  • Options
    Here is what you need:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

EAC seems to be the best way to go for good error correction. A lot of audiophiles swear by this ripper.

I use CDex myself since I never had much luck getting this program to read my cdrw/dvdrw drives and I've rarely ever encountered any errors.
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ok

rip the cd to your hardrive using windows media player or whatever

then get

dbpoweramp

then use that to convert the files to mp3

You'd be far better off ripping to an uncompressed format and using dbPowerAmp afterwards into whatever format you desire. Your method effectively doubles the compression in two lossy formats. The fewer conversion steps you perform the better.
  • Options
    Duff_ManDuff_Man Posts: 150
    try CDex

its free and its great

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/download.html

also when you import a cd, you can set an option to grab the track names for you
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.