Options

(Windows) Installer Problem?

RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
edited February 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
Hey all,

Quite often when dl'ing new programs, updates or firefox plug ins, I get a 'file is corrupt' or 'windows has found a problem with this file' when I attempt to install them.
It used to happen A LOT, but since then I have reformatted and most such updates go fine (formerly WMP 11, IE7, various other files would give me these errors; since the reformat most of these go off without a hitch - windows live messenger's new version won't update and results in one of these messages').

Anyway, I just installed Battlefield2, then Special Forces, and then downloaded the full 1.41 patch. When I try to patch the game, the patch setup.exe results in a '...encountered a problem and needs to close, send to microsoft blah blah blah' error, every time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I got the patch from EA's site and haven't tried anywhere else, as it's not only this patch that gives me installation problems. Pre-format BF2 was installed and patched and functioning fine, not that I got much use out of it.

If anyone has any useful advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks group.

PS: I'm using XP SP2, and have never had a hardware problem so I didn't include hardware specs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Duff_ManDuff_Man Posts: 150
    i think that it might be a registry problem on your pc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

you might want to have a go yourself if you want . or find an app on the internet to help you out, maybe something like this might help

http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechanic/3000-2094_4-10566526.html

its definately not your hardware.

or it could even be the actual windows installer not liking your system, check to see if you have the latest version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

other than that, im not too sure what it could be
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
  • Options
    Duff_Man wrote:
    i think that it might be a registry problem on your pc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

you might want to have a go yourself if you want . or find an app on the internet to help you out, maybe something like this might help

http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechanic/3000-2094_4-10566526.html

its definately not your hardware.

or it could even be the actual windows installer not liking your system, check to see if you have the latest version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

other than that, im not too sure what it could be

Definitely not a do-it myself job :P
    Thanks for the reply Duff Man, I'll see what I can do with this info!
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    thats shit is annoying isnt it?

try un-installing and re-installing Battlefield+patch. not much else you can do I fear.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    thats shit is annoying isnt it?

try un-installing and re-installing Battlefield+patch. not much else you can do I fear.

Can't hurt.
    Some of the guys on the BF2 forums are saying the .net framework is to blame, but specified 3.0.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Rygar wrote:
    Can't hurt.
    Some of the guys on the BF2 forums are saying the .net framework is to blame, but specified 3.0.

thats true. .net framework screws with alot of stuff. just make sure you have all the MS updates.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I get that when I have spyware installed.

I also have Windows Installer service disabled. So, I have to manually enable it every time.

Not sure what your problem is though. Format! lol joking.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Thanks for replying everyone.
    It probably isn't spyware, but it is possible I suppose.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    This happened to me the other day. I found this:

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.
    make sure to put a space between msiexec and the forward slash.

Before you try that, though, go to "services" in your Admin Tools and make sure Windows Installer is started before you try installing a program.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    Hey Barium,
    thanks for adding your input, I'll try it out and let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Hey Barium,
    thanks for adding your input, I'll try it out and let you know how it goes!

And it went poorly :P Nothing works, a fresh install didn't fix anything either, and in fact made things worse (can't install IE7 (which isn't a problem, it's the principle of the thing), wmp11, Winzip, can't unzip with ms extractor, or with winrar, cripes).
    I'm going to install windows on my other harddrive and see how that goes, and getting a lender copy of WinXp install disk to see if that does anything.

Thanks for the advice all. This isn't another request for help: I said I'd return with results so here they are :P
  • Options
    rockfordrockford Posts: 150
    One thing that causes problems for me with MSI is trying to run directly from the web browser/browser cache. If you have an option to "run" the patch, or "save as", then trying doing a "save as", and then double click the installer manually.

I've had that same error, and this has fixed it, so hopefully that works for you!
    rock musik rockar röv.
  • Options
    rockford wrote:
    One thing that causes problems for me with MSI is trying to run directly from the web browser/browser cache. If you have an option to "run" the patch, or "save as", then trying doing a "save as", and then double click the installer manually.

I've had that same error, and this has fixed it, so hopefully that works for you!

Nope, does the same thing whether it's run from the browser or saved. Turns out the onboard Nvidia Network Access Manager is to blame, and old BIOS settings.
    Too bad the ASUS Automatic Update utility works as well as the Network Access Manager and crashed during the BIOS update. Know what happens when you destroy your BIOS? ;)
    Yay warranty!