Options

Deleting posts? A better solution, perhaps

Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
edited October 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
From the TOS:
Please remember: We're just a l'il message board with limited bandwidth; we're not a chat room. There are off-site forums where you can set up your own chat room for personal conversations. In an effort to conserve bandwidth we will perform bbs maintenance by regularly and/or randomly removing off topic and/or old posts.

There's got to be another, another, another, another, another way

Here's a few more ideas which might help.

1) Upgrade the forum software, if need be.

2) Limit things like avatars, signatures, forum jump, and other server-intensive things to 10C members. This might suck for any users that aren't 10C members, but if they want those things, they'd have to join the club! Downside -- I'm sure that quite a majority of forumites are 10C members, so this may not be a benefit.

2a) The other option would be to create some sort of "forum super member" status. People would pay a little bit ($5 a year or so) to gain these things. Seperate from 10C membership, but it would go entirely to the forums. Downside -- People may not want to pay extra, even $5, but other people might.

3) Close down threads past XXX posts, and have a link to the next thread, something like "This is the last post, please use the next thread linked here." The first post in part two would be something like "continued from the previous thread."

The new subject would be the exact same as the old, just with a "Part 2" or "Part 3", etc.

I don't know how this forum is hacked, or if it even is, but everytime a thread is viewed, all the pages are brought up by the server. It might get a little frustrating on the user by seeing several locked threads, but 15 threads @ 1000 posts is a lot easier on the server than one thread at 15,000 posts.

It might be a bit more difficult to moderate, but maybe give basic moderation powers to some of the best, most well-behaved forumites?

Maybe make an exception for stickied threads?

I may not have the best solution for THIS forum, as all forums are different, but there's got to be a better way other than deleting posts on account of being "too old."
Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    How about we just let the old conversations go? ;):D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    justam wrote:
    How about we just let the old conversations go? ;):D

Yeah, but what about if something needs to be referenced? You search, and it's not there.

They could always create and sticky a "newbie FAQ" for things like "what does my song title mean?" and other similar questions. I've also seen forums where people can't create new threads until a certain amount of time has passed (something like 30 days and 30 replies.) It helps to curb some of the above-named threads.

The way they've described the issue, it seems to be the server. Other options exist that are not "deleting posts because they're old."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I'm happy for all my posts, older than six months or so, to be deleted. My huge post count is, er, a little embarrassing. ;)
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    I'm happy for all my posts, older than six months or so, to be deleted. My huge post count is, er, a little embarrassing. ;)

what you said. in fact.......every time a member reaches 1000 posts, delete us and make make us start over.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Is this really an issue for anyone?
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    aNiMaL wrote:

no. but it's something to do at night on the road.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    aNiMaL wrote:

Did you say you need a tissue?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.