Options

540p or 1080i???

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited December 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
I recently bought a Toshiba HDTV that gives me the scan options of 1080i or 540p. My video source is a Sony progressive scan, up-conversion DVD player. Since the best my DVD can put out is 480p, does it make any difference to set my TV at 540p vs. 1080i?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I recently bought a Toshiba HDTV that gives me the scan options of 1080i or 540p. My video source is a Sony progressive scan, up-conversion DVD player. Since the best my DVD can put out is 480p, does it make any difference to set my TV at 540p vs. 1080i?

yes, the TV will be what's known as downward compatible. It will simply scan at the top ability of your DVD player.

Interlaced scan (I) is how your tv currently scans most sources.

Progressive scan (P) is more filmlike with clean edges.

Some say use Interlaced for sports and moving images and use Progressive for film, but I tend to think it's more of a personal preference, I vastly prefer progressive scan to interlaced scan. Fox Sports HD actually broadcasts it's signal in 720P. 1080P is the current High end of things I believe. Obvioulsy the higher scanning rate can give you a more detailed picture but I like the clean edges of Progressive Scan. Try out both and see what you prefer.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yes, the TV will be what's known as downward compatible. It will simply scan at the top ability of your DVD player.

Interlaced scan (I) is how your tv currently scans most sources.

Progressive scan (P) is more filmlike with clean edges.

Some say use Interlaced for sports and moving images and use Progressive for film, but I tend to think it's more of a personal preference, I vastly prefer progressive scan to interlaced scan. Fox Sports HD actually broadcasts it's signal in 720P. 1080P is the current High end of things I believe. Obvioulsy the higher scanning rate can give you a more detailed picture but I like the clean edges of Progressive Scan. Try out both and see what you prefer.
    Apparently 1080p isn't out yet and won't be for years. Right now the standards for HD are 720p and 1080i. Looking at my DVD player now, it up-converts to either 720p or 1080i. My TV is 1080i, but can display progressively at 540p. I guess it makes sense for me to leave it at 1080i since my DVD player upconverts to that (although thats not the true definition of the DVD). My manual says to only lower it to 540p if I get flickering from a progressive source, which I'm not... This all gets really confusing. When the hell is HD-DVD coming out???