Options

The joys of Nyquil :/

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So I haven't been sleeping that well in the past month or so, so by some stroke of luck I got a small head cold. I decided to buy a bottle of Nyquil and just drug myself to sleep.

The last week has been really nice, aside from the stuffy nose and sore throat. I actually got to bed at a decent hour and woke up somewhat refreshed.

The problem is, the cold is now gone :( I don't know if it's wise to take the Nyquil anymore so I haven't tonight.. and here I am.. 5:40 am and not tired. The sad thing is I woke up about 22 hour ago and I was more tired at 10pm than I am now.. what the hell is wrong lol.

Anyone have suggestions on mild sleep-aids? I don't want to get addicted on cough medicine or anything like that, just something that will help me shut my eyes and keep them shut until I'm ready to wake up, rather than having my mind run in circles all night and keep me awake.

I do feel my nose about to run a bit here so..

Here's to Nyquil ::raises plastic measuring cup/shot glass::

EDIT: I suppose listening to almost all of the San Fran shows from 06 just now didn't help either, but usually music makes me sleep.. no clue mayn.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hey there!
    I guess neither of us have conquered this insomnia!
    Nyquil sounds like a good last resort.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Haha, I thought it would end after Christmas but nothings changed. At least I have company in the no-sleep category. The one problem with Nyquil is that it seems to take forever to work then all of a sudden you wake up.. odd.

EDIT: I see you're location is in PA, where exactly? If you don't mind me asking :P
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Haha, I thought it would end after Christmas but nothings changed. At least I have company in the no-sleep category. The one problem with Nyquil is that it seems to take forever to work then all of a sudden you wake up.. odd.

EDIT: I see you're location is in PA, where exactly? If you don't mind me asking :P
    exton, chester county ....40 mins west of philly.
    where in pa are u? :)
  • Options
    Cool, I haven't actually been that West of Philly and still in PA. I went to college in Philly for a while (Temple) but came back up to Scranton :D
  • Options
    Cool, I haven't actually been that West of Philly and still in PA. I went to college in Philly for a while (Temple) but came back up to Scranton :D
    My husband went to temple. I've never been to scranton...I have a few friends from college that are from wilkes barre (sp?). I'm not to far from philly, i drive there daily (augh!). If you've ever heard of it I'm very close to King of Prussia mall.
  • Options
    Yeah I used to go down to the KoP area a lot to shop with the family when it was required, lol. They had the closest Ikea forever, and my family seems to love Swedish furniture, and putting it together. Wilkes-Barre is pretty much Scranton, most people think it's one town.

Maybe PA is just a sleepless state. Or maybe it's just us :/
  • Options
    Yeah I used to go down to the KoP area a lot to shop with the family when it was required, lol. They had the closest Ikea forever, and my family seems to love Swedish furniture, and putting it together. Wilkes-Barre is pretty much Scranton, most people think it's one town.

Maybe PA is just a sleepless state. Or maybe it's just us :/
    I think it might just be us....I i feel like there's nobody else around at night any more. If something doesn't change I may have to go get a prescription form the dr., I feel like it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous!
  • Options
    I think it might just be us....I i feel like there's nobody else around at night any more. If something doesn't change I may have to go get a prescription form the dr., I feel like it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous!

I feel your pain :/ If you end up getting a prescription let me know what you got! Legal drugs are always an option.

EDIT: Going to try and fall asleep again, good morning :)
  • Options
    I feel your pain :/ If you end up getting a prescription let me know what you got! Legal drugs are always an option.

EDIT: Going to try and fall asleep again, good morning :)
    same here...lol....good morning to u too!
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    Nyquil is great stuff... love how much sleep I get when I take it for a cold. Haven't slept through the night for awhile like you guys. Does anyone have any ideas for sleeping besides Nyquil?
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    DXM, you be robo trippn'! can be dangerous.
    ----

Tylenol PM (with or with out the pain killer) works well. not crazy strong like Nyquil, but it wont hurt you like nyquil can if you take too much. Not that tylenol cant hurt people. bad for the liver.
  • Options
    I take it to sleep sometimes. I feel at times too mentally active to sleep even when the body is exhausted. Like I just can't stop thinking about today, or tomorrow, or whatever.

My doc recommended that I read a really boring book in a very uncomfortable chair, and it does help sometimes.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I love Nyquil, but only as directed. In fact I have to take smaller doses than required or it will keep me up all night. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    wolfbear wrote:
    I love Nyquil, but only as directed. In fact I have to take smaller doses than required or it will keep me up all night. :)

It will keep you up???
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    jojojojo Posts: 645
    kc_pj wrote:
    It will keep you up???

yea does the smae for me i can't touch the stuff

i passs out for like 2 hours and can't get back to sleep for the life of me

wheni was about 4 my mom tells storyies of how i had an adverse reactione to cough syrup with codiene as well i was up for 48 hours straight and i just wouldn't stop

as something kinda light taht will help you sleep
    benadryl stuff knocks me right out and is great for my sinuses as well :p
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    kc_pj wrote:
    It will keep you up???
    Yep. I don't know what's in it but yeah, if I take even the recommended dosage I am speeded. It does work for me though, I just have to be careful. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    wolfbear wrote:
    Yep. I don't know what's in it but yeah, if I take even the recommended dosage I am speeded. It does work for me though, I just have to be careful. :)

yea...

it's become pretty well known that it can have this effect on many a person.

usually it will help me sleep but there have been occasions where i was bouncing off the walls.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    wolfbear wrote:

It keeps me up too. I ahve recently discovered Advil PM. It works pretty good and I always feel well rested the next morning.
  • Options
    not a fan of nyquil i use those pills that are just the sleep medicine(cant remember what they are called). the problem with all that stuff after a few days it doesnt really work anymore.

im also from PA, maybe the amish have put a curse on us or something.
  • Options
    If I really can't sleep, or I am just miserably sick, I like to take two of those nyquil gelcaps with a glass of red wine... that puts me out like a light :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln