Options

TVs on treadmills

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
love 'em or hate 'em?

My new gym opened today and all the cardio machines have TVs on them. I have to say it is my one problem with the place so far (the one thing I liked about the gym I just quit was the cardio set up). Usually when on the treadmill I like to listen to music and it's good if there is a TV somewhere in front of me to glance at every once in the while. With these TVs on the machines though, you plug in your headphones to turn them, so you can't listen to music and just have the tv on. it is also just weird because it blocks all your vision and all you can see is the reflection of your head bobbing around. So I was just wondering if other people really like this feature. Looking around today, most people where not using the TVs. I found it interesting because I read an article yesterday that gyms and their equipment are not designed properly for the most efficient work out. thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    My gym is pretty old and does not have tv's on the tread mills so i can't really comment. I do see where it may not be cool to have it though. I like you enjoy listenign ot music and occasionally looking at a near by tv to check out the score on espn etc.

Perhaps you could bring an old set of headphones and just plug it into the tv so you can watch it while you listen to your music?

Of course that won't stop the reflection from your head from bouncing around :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    IMO, if you can focus on a TV show while doing cardio...you're not doing it hard enough.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i enjoy having the tv on while i exercise, it is more for the sound than for the visual. same goes for while i ride my bike, i like music when i am riding.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    love it.

working out is not that fun, so why not watch the simpsons or seinfeld while doing so?
  • Options
    why pay to do exercise at some gym?

why be indoors on some machiney thing?

why dont you just get a bike or sumthing????

(bmx recommendation)
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    love 'em or hate 'em?

My new gym opened today and all the cardio machines have TVs on them. I have to say it is my one problem with the place so far (the one thing I liked about the gym I just quit was the cardio set up). Usually when on the treadmill I like to listen to music and it's good if there is a TV somewhere in front of me to glance at every once in the while. With these TVs on the machines though, you plug in your headphones to turn them, so you can't listen to music and just have the tv on. it is also just weird because it blocks all your vision and all you can see is the reflection of your head bobbing around. So I was just wondering if other people really like this feature. Looking around today, most people where not using the TVs. I found it interesting because I read an article yesterday that gyms and their equipment are not designed properly for the most efficient work out. thoughts?

Yeah the new feature with how you have to plug headphones in in order to have the TV on is annoying. I like how NYSC promotes that they are "helping save energy and the environment" when in reality they just want to save some money on their electric bill. I was fighting it for a few months but recently I've given in and used headphones while running.
    Jw
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451

(bmx recommendation)

A necessary evil, especially for those of us who live in climates that have their extremes.
  • Options
    zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I don't like the TV's on treadmills, if you're running (which I do) it makes the whole picture bounce continuously 'cause your head is moving. Now, if a TV set is a little farther away, mounted on a wall or something, that's OK.

I just bring the ol' iPod, hit shuffle, and go!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    At my gym they have the tv's mounted on the wall in front of the treadmills. I really like that set up because I will listen to my ipod but watch espn while doing cardio, makes time fly.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    IMO, if you can focus on a TV show while doing cardio...you're not doing it hard enough.

that's my opinion as well, and one of the main criticisms cited in the article.
  • Options
    zircona1 wrote:
    I don't like the TV's on treadmills, if you're running (which I do) it makes the whole picture bounce continuously 'cause your head is moving. Now, if a TV set is a little farther away, mounted on a wall or something, that's OK.

I just bring the ol' iPod, hit shuffle, and go!

EXACTLY.

I feel like a lot of new fangled treadmills are made for walking! the ones at this gym not only had the tvs, but they also bounced around! Infact, I hadn't even started yet, it was bouncing from *other* people nearby who were running. and there are no water holders...luckily there are 2 types of treadmills and the others are a little better, but still seem to be geared toward walkers (which is weird, IMO).
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    They don't even have legs!
  • Options

(bmx recommendation)

I have a bike, and I run a lot outdoors. But you also need a gym to lift and cross train and whatnot, and to run when there is ice and snow on the ground (or for that matter when it is 100 degrees and humid in the summer). Just running and cycling outdoors is not a complete work out schedule. (in fact, cycling barely does anything for me itself, which is a shame because I love it. But you've got to bike like at least 50 miles to get any sort of real work out, and who has time for that on a daily basis?)

right now I am training for a half marathon, and I've needed the treadmill for a couple reasons 1) it is good for pace training and 2) there's been a continuous sheet of ice on the ground for the past month!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,546
    Isn't that like, an oxymoron?
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

(bmx recommendation)

It's 40 degrees and raining. I train almost every day so I have to do something inside - as much as I hate it. And like somebody said before to do strenghtening you need a gym, unless you have a lot of equipment at home.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    right now I am training for a half marathon, and I've needed the treadmill for a couple reasons 1) it is good for pace training and 2) there's been a continuous sheet of ice on the ground for the past month!

What half marathon are you training for? I just did the St. Judes Memphis Half at the beginning of December and plan on doing a local Half on February 9. My husband and I are planning on doing a half-Iron distance tri in June.

I manage to get my run training in 90% of the time because we have little snow and ice in So. Illinois and I don't mind running if it is above 25degrees. However, I can't stand to be on the bike when it is below 60 degrees. I guess I am a real weenie. I have my bike on a trainer but absolutely hate it. It is all I can do to make myself do it. And I watch tv when I am doing it, but I can't watch something that takes focus because then you lose focus on your workout. My bike workouts consist of various cadences at various heart rates for certain lengths of time so you have to stay focused to keep up a certain pace or cadence. I can see how the treadmills with a tv in front of your face would be either a real distraction if you have it on, or make the workout really, really boring when all you can see is a dark screen.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I hate the tv's on the treadmills! Fortunately, at my gym there are two rows of machines one with and one without. In the rare occasion that the one's without are taken and the one's with are free I push that bastard of a tv forward as far as it will go and just do my regular workout. Agree with the person who said if you're watching the tube you're not working hard enough.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    What half marathon are you training for? I just did the St. Judes Memphis Half at the beginning of December and plan on doing a local Half on February 9. My husband and I are planning on doing a half-Iron distance tri in June.

the half is in hyannis, ma (cape cod) in february. I did a tri once, it was just a sprint. it wasn't that hard except that being wet for biking and running is a real pain in the ass! I was wearing proper tri shorts and top and everything, but my shorts sliced into my leg while running due to being wet! (plus swimming in a huge crowd of people in murky water where you can't see where you're going isn't fun!)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    love 'em or hate 'em?

Buy a set of cheap extra headphones and then you can turn the TV on, but still listen to your music.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Buy a set of cheap extra headphones and then you can turn the TV on, but still listen to your music.

yeah I think I will do that. doesn't solve the problem of having a TV screen 2 inches from my face while I'm trying to run though...what a pain, seems like every gym is lacking in at least one element.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Saturnal wrote:

I can concentrate on a show just fine while within target heart rate range for cardio. However, it's not as easy to do while on a treadmill. Too much bouncing and balancing or something??

Ellipticals with personal TV's = awesome.
    Never again would I have to suffer through another hour of Delaware vs. Delaware State.

Personally, I feel less guilty watching TV at the gym than I do sitting on my ass watching it at home. The only complaint I have about the built in monitors on bikes/ellipticals is that the screens often have bad glare.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I just wish they could replace the t.v. with an ashtray so I could smoke while working out.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I like the TV, and I also like my Ipod.

What beats both of them is the hot blond with the tight workout clothes on the machine in front of me! :D
    Oh man! If she is there, I'm pretty sure I could run all day long!

Too bad she's married... :(
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I hate the TVs on the treadmill. Thank god my gym doesnt have them. I used a treamill with a tv 1 time at a hotel while I was out of town. It was horrible. I got a little motion sick while I was running so I turned it off. I like my iPod. Its helps me block out everything else but still concentrate on working out.

I agree that every gym is lacking something. I don't think I have ever been completly satisfied with a gym. The gym I'm at now is where the high school kids go to socialize. I really don't care what they do but when there is a pack of them sitting on 3 or 4 machines in a row it gets annoying. Their not working out just talking and mgmt at the gym won't do anything about it.
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I hate the TVs on the treadmill. Thank god my gym doesnt have them. I used a treamill with a tv 1 time at a hotel while I was out of town. It was horrible. I got a little motion sick while I was running so I turned it off. I like my iPod. Its helps me block out everything else but still concentrate on working out.

I agree that every gym is lacking something. I don't think I have ever been completly satisfied with a gym. The gym I'm at now is where the high school kids go to socialize. I really don't care what they do but when there is a pack of them sitting on 3 or 4 machines in a row it gets annoying. Their not working out just talking and mgmt at the gym won't do anything about it.

yes it makes me motion sick too! when it's off too- from watching the reflection in the screen bounce around. I thought I was crazy...

you know, I actually really liked this one bally's I used to belong to, believe it or not. where it was lacking was the areas I don't really care too much about, like a nice locker room. but for the most part it was just a gym. plenty of free weights and room to use them, and the cardio machines were facing mirrors which was awesome! good spin classes and I had a good trainer there too. the gym at the university where I went to grad school was pretty good too. some of the free weight equipment needed to be fixed or replaced, but for the most part it was a good place to work out. again, just a gym with no bells and whistles.
  • Options
    My Gym has them and they bugged me out at first but now Im used to it. They also don't work unless you plug in head phones, which sucks. I like to listen to my music and watch a game if its on. Otherwise I just don't have it on.

Here's a trick you can use besides bringing extra headphones.
    On the box connected to the treadmill where you can change the station and adjust the volume there is a cord from the TV that plugs into the back of it. If you unplug that the tv will stay on. You can't change the channel, but it works. I usually do this and leave it on. I pay enough a month to that place, they shouldn't be trying to cheap out on the electric bill.
  • Options
    TV's on treadmills. Yes excellent. My gym has them on the bikes as well.

Anything to drift the mind off into another time zone so that is passes more quickly is awesome imo.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    yeah I think I will do that. doesn't solve the problem of having a TV screen 2 inches from my face while I'm trying to run though...what a pain, seems like every gym is lacking in at least one element.

It will be less reflective if it's on, though.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I CAN NOT go to a gym. If that was my only option, I'd never exercise. I have a treadmill and a bike (with moving arms) in my basement. They both point directly at my tv. These situations are what music DVD's and tv show DVD's were made for. "Immagine in Cornice" is perfect for working out. You get Pearl Jam tunes synced up with something to watch to keep your eyes away from the clock.

Some other DVD's I like while working out...

Pearl Jam "Touring Band" "Showbox" and "Garden"
    Rolling Stones "4 Flicks" and "Biggest Bang"
    U2 2001 in Boston, 2005 in Chicago
    Dave Matthews "Listener Supported" and "Central Park"

plus, various seasons of South Park and Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    we canceled our gym membership this year and bought an elliptical...same kind they had at the gym(the hubby has bad knees). We have a tv in the exercise area in the basement but I usually put on Pj concert Dvds they really get me pumped!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"