Options

Man get's Life in Prison for Killing Robber

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Interesting..I remeber hearing about this when it happen

Thoughts ?

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Philly_man_71_gets_life_term_for_fatally_shooting_robber.html

Philly man, 71, gets life term for fatally shooting robber

PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ A 71-year-old theft victim who retaliated by shooting his assailant seven times at close range has been sentenced to life in prison.

Barry Mason is a tool repairman who had no prior criminal record before being convicted of murdering 19-year-old Jamil Burton of South Philadelphia.

In August 2006, Mason was stopped in his car at a red light when Burton rode by on his bicycle. Burton reached in and snatched off Mason's neck a necklace that held an $18,000 diamond ring.

Mason then pursued Burton and killed him in a downtown park with a gun he was licensed to carry.

Mason was ordered this week to serve a mandatory life sentence. His attorney intends to appeal.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Jamil Burton sounds like an idiot.

Death may not have been the right answer - but certainly I would have taken a knee cap or two to disable the kid from running away while I call the police.
  • Options
    shoulda moved to texas.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Jamil Burton sounds like an idiot.

Death may not have been the right answer - but certainly I would have taken a knee cap or two to disable the kid from running away while I call the police.

Especially when the kid who stole the Chain didn't have a weapon or it wasn't in the story that he had a weapon anyway

Took the law into his own hands...I would no problem with him killing the kid if he had a weapon or broke into his house and was protecting his family

• Options
    Well really when you think about it, life in prison for this guy means what....3 years?
  • Options
    ............Nevermind
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    This guy deserves jail. Yeah it sucks to have your stuff stolen, but he was in no danger after the jewelry was stolen. Like someone else said, this guy took the law in his own hands.

He could probably plead temporary insanity or something.
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    MrSmith wrote:
    shoulda moved to texas.

Somehow someway there seems to be more to this story. Also in Texas he would've been perfectly fine, I gather this all comes down to what's the law in Philly.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Interesting..I remeber hearing about this when it happen

Thoughts ?

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Philly_man_71_gets_life_term_for_fatally_shooting_robber.html

Philly man, 71, gets life term for fatally shooting robber

PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ A 71-year-old theft victim who retaliated by shooting his assailant seven times at close range has been sentenced to life in prison.

Barry Mason is a tool repairman who had no prior criminal record before being convicted of murdering 19-year-old Jamil Burton of South Philadelphia.

In August 2006, Mason was stopped in his car at a red light when Burton rode by on his bicycle. Burton reached in and snatched off Mason's neck a necklace that held an $18,000 diamond ring.

Mason then pursued Burton and killed him in a downtown park with a gun he was licensed to carry.

Mason was ordered this week to serve a mandatory life sentence. His attorney intends to appeal.

No fucking way this guy should do jail time.
    He is a hero in my book.
    Why you say?
    If scumbags like this guy who robbed him knew that someone will shoot his ass if he tries to take things that do not belong to him, maybe he would think twice about it.
    The crooks have more rights then the victim. Fucked up.

Edit::::He should not have tried to killed the guy.

And please, if you are from the Secular progressive far left, do not respond to my statement.

BTW, this should be in the Moving Train, I fight a lot in there, here i am usually a happy guy.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i'm all about self defense and protecting what is yours.. but 7 shots is fucking insane. he deserves his prison term.

as someone said above, just take out a knee cap and let the cops come and throw him in jail. death was not the answer in this case.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    i'm all about self defense and protecting what is yours.. but 7 shots is fucking insane. he deserves his prison term.

as someone said above, just take out a knee cap and let the cops come and throw him in jail. death was not the answer in this case.

I get all worked up when it comes to stuff like this.
    I agree totally.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    eh should live in texas
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    He hunted him down and shot him 7 times? Fucking moron...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    7 times?...honestly that's some funny shit regardless.

buddy was seriously pissed off Chuck Norris style...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    just a random act of WTF !?!?!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Yeh If he was in his house terrorising him I would understand, But after chasing him, it sounds bad. I would of tried to beat the shit outta him.

But he is 71, life imprisonment won't be all that long for him. Sounds slack but instead of life, they could of given him 10yrs and it still couldd be life if ya no what I mean. Dont mean it to be rude, but it sounds it.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Yeh If he was in his house terrorising him I would understand, But after chasing him, it sounds bad. I would of tried to beat the shit outta him.

But he is 71, life imprisonment won't be all that long for him. Sounds slack but instead of life, they could of given him 10yrs and it still couldd be life if ya no what I mean. Dont mean it to be rude, but it sounds it.

At 71 he's still very young. More and more Americans are living well into their 80's. I work with the ederly and my current patient will be 91 in 2 weeks. My last patients have been 92, 89, 82 he's still living, 91 and so on.

So my point is that he still has a number of years ahead of him barring any previous health issues. He'll have some years ahead of him to think about what he could've done differently.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

I have no prior knowledge of this story, but based only on this news story alone, the text that I quoted makes me feel like this verdict and sentence are just. It would be a different story if Mason reacted at the scene and felt that he was defending his own life. I think he went above and beyond protecting himself.
  • Options
    I have no prior knowledge of this story, but based only on this news story alone, the text that I quoted makes me feel like this verdict and sentence are just. It would be a different story if Mason reacted at the scene and felt that he was defending his own life. I think he went above and beyond protecting himself.

Yeah me too

Chasing him down and killing him is Murder in my book

Not like he was defending his life

• Options
    so the 71 yr old gets to spend the rest of his life eating 3 square meals a day.......

and the piece of shit 19yr old is dead........

things worked out just fine in my eyes.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Obviously, the kid did not deserve to be murdered, but I don't think the old guy deserves life in prison, either.
    The robber is/was the bad guy here! Probably the $18k ring was his dead wife's and had serious sentimental value and it just tipped the old fart over the edge.
    No, he shouldn't have killed the kid, but... I think a shorter prison term would suffice.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    BTW, this should be in the Moving Train
    I wonder why?
    And please, if you are from the Secular progressive far left, do not respond to my statement.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    The punk ass kid didn't deserve seven bullets for stealing a necklace, c'mon people. Maybe one in the ass or leg though. It's not like the old man could have kicked his ass, so that wasn't an option. He may have gotten sued, but it's better than life (what's left) behind bars.
  • Options
    This guy erased a future career criminal from a city full of criminals and he gets life in prison...at 71 years old. He should be given a god damn metal...Hey if Jamil didn't want consequences, he shouldn't have decided to rob someone. I'll add this to the list of reasons why I hate Philadelphia.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    It's amazing how people can see things so differently from each other.
  • Options
    Probably the $18k ring was his dead wife's and had serious sentimental value

I'm sure the 19 yr old kid had some serious sentimental value to someone, too.
  • Options
    It's amazing how people can see things so differently from each other.

yea this brain is a real wonder of nature.
  • Options
    I'm sure the 19 yr old kid had some serious sentimental value to someone, too.

apparently not enough of a value...who the fuck taught this kid that robbery is a fine way to make a living?
  • Options
    long red wrote:
    apparently not enough of a value...who the fuck taught this kid that robbery is a fine way to make a living?

Someone obviously did. Or, at the very least, no one taught him that it wasn't.

But that doesn't mean he deserved what he got. :(
  • Options
    Someone obviously did. Or, at the very least, no one taught him that it wasn't.

But that doesn't mean he deserved what he got. :(

my point is that most kids dont understand the concept of consequences. I bet when he was staring down the barrel of a gun he finally understood. now, maybe he friends will refrain from embarking on a life of crime.

bottom line: if you dont want to get shot, dont commit a crime. end of story, the kid was wrong, dont make him out to be a victim.
  • Options
    long red wrote:
    bottom line: if you dont want to get shot, dont commit a crime. end of story, the kid was wrong, dont make him out to be a victim.

They were both victims, but they were also both wrong.