Options

Car Accidents

Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Well I was just in one a few days back...no major injuries, it was the other idiot's fault, but it's a good thing I actually listen to NASCAR commentators every so often...like don't cut the wheel when you're up on two tires!!!

Anyone care to elaborate on some stories? Not looking for sympathy...just a place to vent...

And no Linda Powell wasn't in the car with me and I wasn't hit by a Crowe Landscaping truck!!!
I love to turn you on
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    glad you're ok.....couple years ago i was hit in my rear right wheel while going 70 in heavy la traffic.....i slid about 100 yards sideways trying to keep my cherokee from doing a barrel roll....:eek:....here's some pics

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/cutback32/08-23-05_0914.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/cutback32/08-23-05_0913.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/cutback32/08-23-05_0912.jpg

i walked away uninjured and got a check from geico in six days.....the other 6 cars that were behind me (including the kid that started it) weren't so lucky....:)
  • Options
    VrJxSVrJxS Posts: 115
    Here's mine

6.jpg

I was on the motorcycle....did not walk away uninjured.
  • Options
    VrJxS wrote:
    Here's mine

6.jpg

:eek: wow, sorry....were the injuries bad?
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    gawd...i deal with auto accidents all day---work in a personal injury law firm

glad you are both OK
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    :eek: wow, sorry....were the injuries bad?

Oh yeah. I was in the hospital for 2 months. Almost bled to death from internal bleeding, every bone in left leg broken, dislocated right knee, broken left elbow, etc., etc....

But, I'm doing good now.

Still pissed that I missed 5 PJ shows that I had tickets to in 2005 cause of that.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    VrJxS wrote:
    Oh yeah. I was in the hospital for 2 months. Almost bled to death from internal bleeding, every bone in left leg broken, dislocated right knee, broken left elbow, etc., etc....

But, I'm doing good now.

Still pissed that I missed 5 PJ shows that I had tickets to in 2005 cause of that.

crap!!!!! Glad you made it through and hope you have a good attorney.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    VrJxS wrote:

But, I'm doing good now.

wow good to hear
    VrJxS wrote:

i love pearl jam....:)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I was riding my bike across the street(the wrong way down a one-way) and was passing infront of a dodge ram(haha). The guy didn't see me(I was coming from the wrong direction afterall) and he hit the gas, and then me. Fuck me, did that ever hurt. The impact was on my right leg, fracturing it. I have never been in so much pain in my life. It was unbearable. And then I went to the hospital and got an x-ray and was told it wasn't fractured. 3 days later they called back and told me they made a mistake. Duh!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    crap!!!!! Glad you made it through and hope you have a good attorney.

I had a good attorney, but the guy that hit me was a 78 y/o guy who only had $100,000 in liability. I really didn't want to sue him and make him lose his house or whatever, so I just took the insurance money. More than half of which went to my attorney and insurance companies.

I think I just passed the $100,000 mark in out-of-pocket medical expenses since the accident 2 years ago. That doesn't even count lost wages or anything else.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    VrJxS wrote:
    Here's mine

6.jpg

ouch dude.
    screw that noise.
    are you ok?
    whats up?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Damn those are some messed up pics! :eek: Glad you're alive and posting!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    cutback wrote:
    glad you're ok.....couple years ago i was hit in my rear right wheel while going 70 in heavy la traffic.....i slid about 100 yards sideways trying to keep my cherokee from doing a barrel roll....:eek:....here's some pics

i walked away uninjured and got a check from geico in six days.....the other 6 cars that were behind me (including the kid that started it) weren't so lucky....:)

Nice smiley face at the end there :p
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i have an extensive list of auto accidents.
    does dirtbike and 3 wheelers count as an auto accident?
    they were on streets/highways.

i was the passenger on a 3 wheeler.
    i was in 8th grade.
    we were smokin opium out in the country on sum back roads.
    i lived out there.
    anyhow.
    we hit a metal culvert in a ditch head on about 40-50 mph.
    after side swipping a wooden utility pole.
    all this happened after we left the gravel road because
    he was so high he couldn't drive the thing.
    my knee, left leg, is tender when stairs are walked or in the sand.
    their is a dent like thingy in the knee.
    my buddy had 3 twisted discs in his back.
    we were both knocked the hell out from impact.
    him being knocked out longer.
    i know i could not breathe for prolly what seemed like 2 minutes.
    wind knocked out of me and it hurt.

Fell asleep in my camaro after taking my lady friend home.
    so i wake up and im in the wrong lanes shoulder heading for
    a row of mail boxes.
    i cramp the wheel hard to the right, no traffic around me.
    2 lane rural hwy.
    the mailboxes sheer off my door handle, it was about to fall off anyways.
    my door flys open.
    my cars back on the hwy now tho.
    except i've fallen out of my car from the force of the quick turning
    and the door flying open.
    i see the rear drivers side wheel miss me by about a foot or less.
    i roll, tumble, slide, twist, spin, and grind myself down the hwy.
    it was at hwy speeds and quite nicely done in my shorts, tshirt, sanddles.
    the car took off by itsself down the hwy.
    went into a ditch, up the other side, jumping up into a dude yard.
    door wide open still, no driver in it.
    when it leaped up onto the dudes yard, it was going about 30mph.
    it slammed into his trailer/mobile home.
    im all by now running after it, no shoes on, they were ripped off my feet.
    his yard was grassy but sandy soil, and fulla sandburs.
    that was fun times.
    the impact of the car -vs- his trailer cause the medicine cabnet to fall down.
    all his shelves, the things on em in his living room fell down.
    luckily my car nailed the trailers frame work.
    solid metal beam.
    i had 6-8 weeks of physical rehabilitation, soaking in a tub of chemicals
    to help heal road rash.
    from my leg ass cheek to my toes was road rash.
    minimum scarring as of healing.

i'll stop now, but my list is huge.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    gawd...i deal with auto accidents all day---work in a personal injury law firm

Are you with Dewey, Cheetum and Howe?
  • Options
    drtyfrnk29drtyfrnk29 Posts: 846
    I was 17 and on spring break from school when I decided to taka walk down to 7-11 for a Big Gulp. As I was walking to the store, which was about 5 min from my house, a friend of mine spotted me and offered a ride over. I accepted, ran in to the store and hopped back in the car. We pulled out of the parking lot and waited to make a left at the light by the store. I had my drink secured between my legs and reached back to fasten my seat belt. As I did this I heard one of the girls say "Oh shit." Next thing I knew, I was thrown across the car, smacking my head against the opposite window and twisting my neck. My Big Gulp all but exploded in my lap from my legs getting squished by the impact.

Amazingly, after I got out of the car my only worry was my soaked pants. My neck really didn't hurt. My friend had turned in front of a car making a right turn at the same light and the impact was all on me. I was grateful everyone was ok but pissed about my Big Gulp.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    My dad's friend was telling me a story about a motorbike crash he was in. When he woke up his leg was wrapped up round his shoulder and hanging down in front of him a bit. Nice.

Ive been in a few little crashes but nothing major. A girl i grew up with was killed in a crash about 2 and a half years ago, 5 days before xmas. Her funeral was on xmas eve. Always wear your seatbelts folks, seriously. If a car im in doesnt have the seatbelts in order i feel really uncomfortable.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    when I first got my license I was backing up in a 7-Eleven parking lot and hit a Camaro.

And I skidded through an intersection when I was 21 and went into a jeep.
    I totaled my car and my stepfather wanted to know how I was going to get to school. He never asked if I was ok.

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    I was 17 and on spring break from school when I decided to taka walk down to 7-11 for a Big Gulp. As I was walking to the store, which was about 5 min from my house, a friend of mine spotted me and offered a ride over. I accepted, ran in to the store and hopped back in the car. We pulled out of the parking lot and waited to make a left at the light by the store. I had my drink secured between my legs and reached back to fasten my seat belt. As I did this I heard one of the girls say "Oh shit." Next thing I knew, I was thrown across the car, smacking my head against the opposite window and twisting my neck. My Big Gulp all but exploded in my lap from my legs getting squished by the impact.

Amazingly, after I got out of the car my only worry was my soaked pants. My neck really didn't hurt. My friend had turned in front of a car making a right turn at the same light and the impact was all on me. I was grateful everyone was ok but pissed about my Big Gulp.

The same thing happened to me last week!!! I hadn't even taking a sip yet, and I'd just put my straw in. Freakin' soda everywhere.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    and this time everything that wasn't damaged last time on the right side got totally smashed. steve vs. pickup truck with snowplow. dude was plowing and backed right up into the road as I was going about 30mph. no injuries.

watch out for them snowplows.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    We were in Baxter Park, going to climb Mount Katahdin 2 years ago now. And we were driving back to the camp after going out to the grocery store for more supplies. We were obviously going to fast and the dirt road did not help. Anyways, to sum it all up, our 2003 Ford Explorer went around a turn....slid...hit a tree. The fucked up thing was that the airbags didn't even deploy. We hit the tree going 60 km/h (about 35mp/h I believe). This was a big fucking tree!!!
    Nobody was injured. But I had a bag on my lap full of water, 2 liters. That hit the seat in front of me and came back and knocked the wind out of me. The vehicle was actually totaled in this.
  • Options
    and this time everything that wasn't damaged last time on the right side got totally smashed. steve vs. pickup truck with snowplow. dude was plowing and backed right up into the road as I was going about 30mph. no injuries.

Dude. Bummer. No snowplows out here in California but I have been clipped by a street sweeper while in a work truck.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,659
    GF: this Mercedes 2000 convertible says it does 270, but it only goes 240.
    BF: nodding (I mean napping) in the backseat

Car flips upside down on way to get more beer. Cop comes.

Me: it's a good thing we threw out the empties.
  • Options

Dude...that sucks.....have some bailey's and stay home! :)

I've been in a few myself, but the funniest (actually the only one that involved any humour at all) was when I was turning right on a green light in a major snow storm and my tires locked, causing me to slide directly into the door of the mini-van parked waiting to go through the red. I was only going about 5 kms/hour, but as soon as I started to turn, I no longer had any control. Both myself and the guy in the mini-van kinda threw our hands up in the air, looking at each other, just waiting for it to happen. We both knew it was coming, had enough time to share a moment and then, I hit him. After the fact, we both got out of the cars, laughed at how similar it felt to bumper cars and got down to business (exchanging info and stuff). Turned out the guy owned a body shop and fixed it all himself and didn't bill me a penny. All around best case scenario as far as accidents go.

Drive safe everyone...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    cutback wrote:

Always a good idea to have a camera in your vehicle. Many people after the fact make up shit that never came anywhere close to what really happened.

Always take those pictures cause a woman sued me lying about an accident we had but pictures I took at the scene saved me.

She sued me a year and half later, she had up to 3 years to file that suit. Can you believe that shit!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    I got rear ended in my brand new (under 3,000k) black, fully loaded 6 cylinder GTI. Some guy in an animal control truck totally creamed me...he didn't even touch the brakes. I was completely stopped and waiting to turn before he was coming to a stop at a stop sign about 200 feet away. He kept on coming , and rammed me into incoming traffic just as I was starting to turn slamming me into a minivan head on. It was like real life a pinball game, only much louder.

It totally destroyed my car, and the insurance company wrote it off.

The guy must have blacked out, or is perhaps one of the stupidest most inept individuals imaginable. I told the guy to stay minimum 50 feet away from me, or something bad was going to happen to him....I had to tell him this a few times. I was totaly in shock and pretty angry about it. hehe

no pics...but in the meantime
    http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/weird/weird949.shtml
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    i got hit head on going 40mph by a lady that couldnt see past a gigantic Durango. she smashed head on into me and i never had a chance to hit the brakes. i bounced my car off of hers and into a telephone pole. it sucked big time, but it was completely her fault. my car had $9500 worth of damage to it and i got to take a nice ride in an ambulance.
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    My daughter and I were in a collision just over ten years ago. I don't remember any of it! Apparently we were stopped two cars behind a schoolbus that had it's lights flashing because it was dropping off children and the guy behind us (traveling 60mph) fell asleep at the wheel. He hit us, we hit the car in front of us and knocked them out of the way, and we ended up wedged underneath the schoolbus. My car was about 60" long after the wreck. I had minor injuries: whiplash and a bruised face. My daughter suffered a broken femur and had to be in a body cast. She was 15 mos. old at the time and let me tell you - changing diapers on someone in a body cast is NO FUN!
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Always a good idea to have a camera in your vehicle. Many people after the fact make up shit that never came anywhere close to what really happened.

Always take those pictures cause a woman sued me lying about an accident we had but pictures I took at the scene saved me.

She sued me a year and half later, she had up to 3 years to file that suit. Can you believe that shit!

Peace

my dad drilled into me to always take pics.....although back in the day you rarely ever had a camera every time you drove....with cell cameras you can document the accident immediately....:)
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    cutback wrote:
    my dad drilled into me to always take pics.....although back in the day you rarely ever had a camera every time you drove....with cell cameras you can document the accident immediately....:)

She was slick or thought she was slick in that she waited that long hoping that I would've destroyed or deleted the pictures I took. She knew I taken pictures. Even a disposable camera is a good idea.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)