Options

Ten Years Ago Today, TITANIC Released!

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
10 years ago today...the ship sank, Rose lived, Jack died and my heart goes...cold?

I approached my viewing of the 10th anniversary edition of Titanic the way one might approach being reacquainted with a long-ago boyfriend. You wonder whether a decade of time apart has brought your feelings into a more mature perspective, and if the years have dulled the edges of emotion and left you with a clearer view of that thing you used to feel so passionately about.

'Titanic': By the numbers

PRODUCTION BUDGET: $200 MILLION

DOMESTIC GROSS: $600.7 MILLION

WORLDWIDE GROSS: $1.8 BILLION

RANK IN TOP GROSSING MOVIES: #1

NUMBER OF WEEKS AT #1: 15

OSCAR NOMINATIONS: 14

OSCAR WINS: 11

NUMBER OF GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATIONS: 8

NUMBER OF GOLDEN GLOBE WINS: 4

And after diving one more time into the chilly breach with Jack, Rose and their doomed seagoing friends, I can honestly say ... yeah, I still hate Titanic.

I should probably clarify that - on the 10th anniversary today of the release of the top-grossing movie of all time, I still hate the script. I still hate the cartoon clumsiness juxtaposed against such a painstakingly realistic backdrop. And most of all, I still hate the part of Titanic that propelled scores of weeping fans to practically have their mail forwarded to the theater - the supposedly enduring love between rich girl Rose (Kate Winslet) and clever steerage passenger Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio).

Yeah, I said it. Call me heartless. Tell me I'm evil. I've heard it all before. In the midst of Titanic-palooza in late 1997 and for much of 1998, saying you weren't moved to pieces by Jack and Rose was, in some quarters, like going to a Cute Convention and kicking the puppies and bunnies.

In the Palm Beach Post today an article by Leslie Gray Streeter Ten years later, Flick Chick says Titanic doesn't Rock Her Boat.

She didn't like it but I did very much, did any of you see or like this Movie?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    excuse me while i puke.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I saw Titanic before all the hype on the day it opened, only because me and my buddy were bored high school kids, and I must say it was one of the best movie experiences I had.. That said, it was waaay over hyped.. Still a good movie.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Still haven't seen it. I have a problem seeing a movie when I know how it will end.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Solat13 wrote:
    Still haven't seen it. I have a problem seeing a movie when I know how it will end.

i have a problem seeing a movie when i know it will suck.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    i still haven't seen the film neither.

btw, i also cant believe that the soundtrack actually kept "Yield" out of the number one spot.

Damn you Celine Dion! Damn You!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    I love it. I think it's a throwback to the classic, grand scale romantic films of yesteryear.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 596
    I was 8, almost 9 years old when I saw it in theaters. I remember after the movie we went out to dinner and I went into the bathroom there. On my way out, I put my hand in the space between the door and the wall and the door crushed in my fingernails. They had some nice dents in them for a while and it hurt really bad.

Not a good day since I hated the movie too.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I was 8, almost 9 years old when I saw it in theaters. I remember after the movie we went out to dinner and I went into the bathroom there. On my way out, I put my hand in the space between the door and the wall and the door crushed in my fingernails. They had some nice dents in them for a while and it hurt really bad.

Not a good day since I hated the movie too.
    There's your problem, you were 8.. no wonder it sucked.. I was 18. I saw the movie before there was any hype..

Throw the hype out the window people.. stripped down, its not a bad movie at all.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ten years already? ouch.
    I didn't mind it, I have a thing for disaster flicks....
    But, as with so many movies....the love story is way overdone...disguised as character development. fack, I just want to see the boat sink, I don't wanna see this king of the world shite.
    meh...the story was actually decent...but too drawn out...tried to please everyone. For the most part it worked, obviously.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    LongRd. wrote:

btw, i also cant believe that the soundtrack actually kept "Yield" out of the number one spot.

are you KIDDING ME?????? :eek: thats disgusting. and i proudly say that i have not nor do i ever wish to see this movie! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    SENROCK! wrote:
    are you KIDDING ME?????? :eek: thats disgusting. and i proudly say that i have not nor do i ever wish to see this movie! :D

really. Yield was the first PJ album I bought right out of the gate (first day release 02-03-98).
    I was really excited and thought it'll hit #1 like their previous albums.
    felt like I was contributing to the greatness of Pearl Jam as a fan.

... :( then a couple of weeks later, i read the Billboard magazine and it was #2 behind Titanic.

:( ... I honestly still think to this day, that day was truly the death of "Grunge" dominance in mainstream rock.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    LongRd. wrote:
    really. Yield was the first PJ album I bought right out of the gate (first day release 02-03-98).
    I was really excited and thought it'll hit #1 like their previous albums.
    felt like I was contributing to the greatness of Pearl Jam as a fan.

... :( then a couple of weeks later, i read the Billboard magazine and it was #2 behind Titanic.

:( ... I honestly still think to this day, that day was truly the death of "Grunge" dominance in mainstream rock.

freakin celine. i swear.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Hated it then and I hate it now.

Biggest crock of shit movie ever made.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hated it then and I hate it now.

Biggest crock of shit movie ever made.
    I'm with you.
    A big budegt doesn't mean the movie will be good. That's what they try to male us believe when they released the movie...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    I'm with you.
    A big budegt doesn't mean the movie will be good. That's what they try to male us believe when they released the movie...

Well I went to see it, because the Titanic story has always fascinated me, but I was so disappointed in it. The whole Jack and Rose storyline drove me nuts. I mean, from the point of view of the sets and costumes and the recreation of the ship itself yeah, I guess it was interesting but watching those two crap on while people bobbed around like frozen peas really just shitted me to tears and still does. There's not a lot of movies that I would say that I categorically hate but that one would have to top the list.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    that movie was fucking great.....

i have no idea how anyone could not enjoy that movie.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I saw Titanic before all the hype on the day it opened, only because me and my buddy were bored high school kids, and I must say it was one of the best movie experiences I had.. That said, it was waaay over hyped.. Still a good movie.
    :D I'm with you on that one. To be honest I think most people lie when it comes to Titanic... where are all the people NOW who back THEN said it was the best film ever? Cos there were lots of them. In saying that, first time I saw it, I really really really enjoyed it, second time not so much, any time after that, it's really really annoyed me. It's certainly not one you can watch over and over again. The love story was shite and ridiculous though: 'I'll never let go jack' as she pries his frozen hands from the wood and pushes him into the water? :confused: that never made sense to me.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    :D I'm with you on that one. To be honest I think most people lie when it comes to Titanic... where are all the people NOW who back THEN said it was the best film ever? Cos there were lots of them. In saying that, first time I saw it, I really really really enjoyed it, second time not so much, any time after that, it's really really annoyed me. It's certainly not one you can watch over and over again. The love story was shite and ridiculous though: 'I'll never let go jack' as she pries his frozen hands from the wood and pushes him into the water? :confused: that never made sense to me.

THANK YOU!!! Stupid bitch that she was!!! If she'd got into the god damn life boat when he put her in it maybe he'd have lived too????
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    and what a piece of shit it was!!! still haven't forgiven jim cameron for that one.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    THANK YOU!!! Stupid bitch that she was!!! If she'd got into the god damn life boat when he put her in it maybe he'd have lived too????
    absofuckinglutely... if he'd lived he woulda deserted her anyway... he was obviously delirious with the shock of the whole thing!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    whereas say The English Patient struck a chord with me, Titanic was just silly and way too predictable with the characters. When the ship sunk at the end, all the oiks are in their lifeboats gaze calmly, errrrrr, would'nt the suction action (trying to be technical here) of such a vessel going underwater create, like, somekind of disturbance??? someone know what I mean here?
  • Options
    absofuckinglutely... if he'd lived he woulda deserted her anyway... he was obviously delirious with the shock of the whole thing!

:D Well I have Leo problems anyway. Coz the first thing I ever saw him in was What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and I was mesmerized by this "special" kid's acting skills. :o I kept thinking gee he's amazing that he's been able to remember all his lines. It never occured to me that Leo was just an actor doing a brilliant job. Ever since then whenever he plays romantic lead I just can't buy it coz he still reminds me of Gilbert Grape. :D

I just felt the whole ridiculous romance premise was a kick in the teeth for all the poor sods that died. It kinda cheapened what they went through.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    :D Well I have Leo problems anyway. Coz the first thing I ever saw him in was What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and I was mesmerized by this "special" kid's acting skills. :o I kept thinking gee he's amazing that he's been able to remember all his lines. It never occured to me that Leo was just an actor doing a brilliant job. Ever since then whenever he plays romantic lead I just can't buy it coz he still reminds me of Gilbert Grape. :D

I just felt the whole ridiculous romance premise was a kick in the teeth for all the poor sods that died. It kinda cheapened what they went through.
    I agree cos there's just no need for it... it would have made an amazing film without it... actually it did! Ever see a night to remember?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I agree cos there's just no need for it... it would have made an amazing film without it... actually it did! Ever see a night to remember?

Yes! Now that was a good interpretation of the Titanic story. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    whereas say The English Patient struck a chord with me, Titanic was just silly and way too predictable with the characters. When the ship sunk at the end, all the oiks are in their lifeboats gaze calmly, errrrrr, would'nt the suction action (trying to be technical here) of such a vessel going underwater create, like, somekind of disturbance??? someone know what I mean here?

Yes, I thought that too. And I'm sure I read that it happened also, that many were pulled down in the lifeboats by the suction (it'll do as the technical term for now! ;) ) of the ship going under.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    There's your problem, you were 8.. no wonder it sucked.. I was 18. I saw the movie before there was any hype..

Throw the hype out the window people.. stripped down, its not a bad movie at all.
    agreed...i was 20 and i liked it. now that i'm older and more cynical it's a bit cheesy ;) but still...was worth checking out.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,284
    Solat13 wrote:
    3 words that may change your mind:
    Kate Winslet's Boobs.

Plus when the dude falling off the ship hits the propeller , those 2 things alone were worth the price of admission.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    'I'll never let go jack' as she pries his frozen hands from the wood and pushes him into the water? :confused: that never made sense to me.
    lol! i always had a problem with that, too! :D thought i was the only one.
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    lol! i always had a problem with that, too! :D thought i was the only one.
    :D nope... we're not the only ones... apparently lotsa people noticed, they just thought they were the only ones and didn't say anything :D but talk about really really SHIT continuity :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    3 words that may change your mind:
    Kate Winslet's Boobs.

That is the truth. One of the hottest women I have ever seen. I love her.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.