Options

Hermann Hesse

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone a fan of his?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I was given five herman hesse books by a lecturer in college who was giving them away, thought I might like them. Never read them though. Should I pull em out?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    if you like "finding yourself" books. If you liked Into the Wild and On the Road, Kerouac and all that you will like Hesse.

Seems like his entire catalogue is all about unconventional people artistic types trying to find a way to live, trying to find themselves in a world they disagree with.

started with peter caminzind and am now reading Rosshalde, next up is Siddartha
  • Options
    That's cool. I've not read those other books but without being pretentious about it, I feel like one of those people all the time. I had the thought yesterday that no matter how hard I try, I don't seem to be anything like my family; my ideas and thought processes are totally alien to them, and theirs to me.. We just joke about it, but I'm not sure how long I can keep it up for..
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    I absolutely love Hermann Hesse!
    I finished Narcissus and Goldmund a few days ago, brilliant book..
    Also read Demian, Steppenwolf and Beneath the Wheel.. Didn't like Beneath the Wheel that much, but I really love Demian! Such an excellent book..
    Haven't read Peter Camenzind, Siddharta and The Glass Bead Game yet, but I will for sure..
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've only read 'Demian', and 'Siddartha'. Never got around to 'Steppenwolf', or 'The Glass bead game', although I'd like to read 'em.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    That's cool. I've not read those other books but without being pretentious about it, I feel like one of those people all the time. I had the thought yesterday that no matter how hard I try, I don't seem to be anything like my family; my ideas and thought processes are totally alien to them, and theirs to me.. We just joke about it, but I'm not sure how long I can keep it up for..

Sounds like Hesse's 'The Prodigy' maybe the one you should start with.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Sounds like Hesse's 'The Prodigy' maybe the one you should start with.

Cool.. will do.

• Options
    Siddartha is one of my all-time favorites!
  • Options
    hesse is great. i've read quite a lot of him because i did my "special subject" in german for my final exams back in school on his work.
    before we had read "Narcissus and Goldmund" and "Beneath the Wheel" in class and then i've read the following for my final exams. it was a hesse-packed-summer back then ;-)

Gertrude: A Novel
    Rosshalde
    Knulp: Three Tales from the Life of Knulp
    Demian
    Klingsor's Last Summer
    Siddhartha
    Steppenwolf
    The Glass Bead Game
    Vienna, Austria 2006
    Munich, Germany 2007
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I've only read Siddhartha, but I really enjoyed that one. I read it for my 9th grade literature and 12th grade literature classes. This was one of the few books that I've been forced to read that I enjoyed. It's really quite interesting finding the profound little truths in the text that make you reflect on life, happiness, etc.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I enjoy Hesse.
    I especially love Steppenwolf. In college I had a professor that had us essay the parallels of Harry Haller (the main in Steppenwolf) with Stephan Dedalus from Joyce's Portrait. Both awesome works.
    Siddhartha was also a college read. One of the best classes ever: Philosophy and the art of recreation and leisure. lol
    The professor love Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maint. so much he stuffed it into the title of his class. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away