Options

NFL Review of the Pats/Ravens Game

ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok...to be clear I hate the Patriots, and wanted them to lose, and I'm pretty sure most of you are at work but the NFL Network replay of the game is on right now, and its actually pretty well done.

They have a ref explaining why the calls by the refs were 'defendable' (not necessarily right), especially the time out on 4th and 1 which was, in fact called by Rex Ryan, who also doesn't have the right to make the call - only Billick did. The problem was this was right before the snap so the ref couldn't turn around and find out who it was. They also explained why the holding call was made (which was technically a hold by rule even though the pass didn't go to him, and even though the flag was thrown well AFTER the incompletion).

Other parts of clarity...Samari Rolle said he was called a "boy" by the ref "more than 5 times", and Bart Scott claimed that the same ref asked for a fight later which is why he went crazy. Clearly this is not the kind of behavior demanded of an NFL referee no matter who you are rooting for. I hope he gets reviewed at the very least for his behavior, and if it's true then he should get some sort of disciplinary action taken against him.

Either way the review provided me peace of mind that the game went the way it should have, but that the Ravens did get unlucky with things that happened at the end. Hopefully the Steelers won't be chickens next week and do things like go for 4th and 1's with 3 minutes to go so that their aren't any issues with how the game ended like last week...if, of course, they are actually still in the game late in the 4th.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    ryan198 wrote:
    Ok...to be clear I hate the Patriots, and wanted them to lose, and I'm pretty sure most of you are at work but the NFL Network replay of the game is on right now, and its actually pretty well done.

They have a ref explaining why the calls by the refs were 'defendable' (not necessarily right), especially the time out on 4th and 1 which was, in fact called by Rex Ryan, who also doesn't have the right to make the call - only Billick did. The problem was this was right before the snap so the ref couldn't turn around and find out who it was. They also explained why the holding call was made (which was technically a hold by rule even though the pass didn't go to him, and even though the flag was thrown well AFTER the incompletion).

Other parts of clarity...Samari Rolle said he was called a "boy" by the ref "more than 5 times", and Bart Scott claimed that the same ref asked for a fight later which is why he went crazy. Clearly this is not the kind of behavior demanded of an NFL referee no matter who you are rooting for. I hope he gets reviewed at the very least for his behavior, and if it's true then he should get some sort of disciplinary action taken against him.

Either way the review provided me peace of mind that the game went the way it should have, but that the Ravens did get unlucky with things that happened at the end. Hopefully the Steelers won't be chickens next week and do things like go for 4th and 1's with 3 minutes to go so that their aren't any issues with how the game ended like last week...if, of course, they are actually still in the game late in the 4th.

nice post. in the heat of it, it's so tough to be impartial ... I'm a Pats fan and I thought the holding call was a bit suspect when I saw it ... but overall, they were calls that technically could and should be made.

they missed calls both ways ... the pats hit Boller's head a few times on pass rushes, and the lack of a holding call agaisnt the Ravens on the hail mary is just poor reffing.

I do think it's horseshit that refs are becoming WAY to involved, the issue with Milton Bradley in baseball this year and now this with the Ravens? It does suck that they were battling the Pats and the Refs ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    nice post. in the heat of it, it's so tough to be impartial ... I'm a Pats fan and I thought the holding call was a bit suspect when I saw it ... but overall, they were calls that technically could and should be made.

they missed calls both ways ... the pats hit Boller's head a few times on pass rushes, and the lack of a holding call agaisnt the Ravens on the hail mary is just poor reffing.

I do think it's horseshit that refs are becoming WAY to involved, the issue with Milton Bradley in baseball this year and now this with the Ravens? It does suck that they were battling the Pats and the Refs ...
    In the end you are right, bad calls went both ways (could you imagine if the Ravens won at that last play which was possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen an offensive player try to do?...this discussion would have been way different), but the main thing is the fact that the ref got personally involved in the game and that just can't be happening in professional (I count college as professional as well) games.
  • Options
    I hate when someone says that a ref should not have called a penalty "because the game is almost over" It's either a holding or it isn't. the rules don't change because there's 1 minute left. If it's a holding in the 1st quarter, then it's a holding in the 4 th quarter. Did they say anything about the Gaffney catch? I didn't think he had it, i thought he was juggling, or exchanging hands on his way out. It wasn't a clear call though, and a case could be made for a catch.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    jimed14 wrote:
    Yes, they should be fixing games like the NBA refs. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I hate when someone says that a ref should not have called a penalty "because the game is almost over" It's either a holding or it isn't. the rules don't change because there's 1 minute left. If it's a holding in the 1st quarter, then it's a holding in the 4 th quarter. Did they say anything about the Gaffney catch? I didn't think he had it, i thought he was juggling, or exchanging hands on his way out. It wasn't a clear call though, and a case could be made for a catch.
    I'm pretty sure the argument wasn't that the game was almost over it was that:
    A. some thought it wasn't a hold (at first I didn't on review I do)
    B. The play didn't go to Watson so it wasn't really an issue (I'm pretty sure Brady never looked for him but who knows)
    C. The flag came out VERY VERY late (not OSU vs. Miami late, but after the play was over the flag was thrown), and was thrown by the ref calling Rolle "a boy" and asking Scott to fight after the game.

No matter what it was a hold and should have and was called.

The Gaffney "catch" was also discussed, and the ref said that it was too difficult to overturn. However, I've watched enough close plays involving Terrell Owens to know that this play would have been overturned against him with 95% certaintly. The ball was moving and not while being brought to the body, but that was his defense of the call. I think the main thing is that refs appreciate it if you keep your mouth shut throughout the game (for better or worse), and will reward teams who do so with favorable treatment. It's human nature to do so, even if it's subconcious. Either way in all likelihood the Pats would have scored anyway.

The main point is that the Ravens should have gone for it on 4th and 1 with 3.38 to go, and if they made it they would have won. If they didn't they would have had a ton of time left to come down and win or tie the game against a defense that they had beaten up for 3+ quarters. I think that coaches should spend some time playing Madden to learn these subtle tricks of the game.