Options

Old stuff!

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I decided to clear out my wardrobe last night (there are boxes in the bottom) and went through lots of my old stuff... fucking hell, I found letter that I'd got and faxes that I sent to friends from when I lived in Paris ten years ago :) . I spent hours going through them and having a great laugh. I'd forgotten most of the stuff but it brought it all right back to me :) I also found letters that I'd gotten in the French college 2 years before that and they were SO boring :D like 'how's the weather there? It's nice in Cavan' even though I was only about an hour drive up the road, lol.

I love when ya find random shit like that that you forgot you kept :)
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i hope u threw out the old dirty underpants
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i hope u threw out the old dirty underpants
    Nah... after ten years... I'm keeping them babies :)

is that what's at the bottom of YOUR wardrobe :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I decided to clear out my wardrobe last night (there are boxes in the bottom) and went through lots of my old stuff... fucking hell, I found letter that I'd got and faxes that I sent to friends from when I lived in Paris ten years ago :) . I spent hours going through them and having a great laugh. I'd forgotten most of the stuff but it brought it all right back to me :) I also found letters that I'd gotten in the French college 2 years before that and they were SO boring :D like 'how's the weather there? It's nice in Cavan' even though I was only about an hour drive up the road, lol.

I love when ya find random shit like that that you forgot you kept :)

Oh wow! That's giving me a headache just thinking about it! If something doesn't have a use, it's got to go. The same goes for my computer and PM box. I like it to be sorted and clear. I can't have stuff cramming up my box. (That sounds rude. :o)
  • Options
    Oh wow! That's giving me a headache just thinking about it! If something doesn't have a use, it's got to go. The same goes for my computer and PM box. I like it to be sorted and clear. I can't have stuff cramming up my box. (That sounds rude. :o)
    :D Yep, it did!

I love keeping letters and diaries and stuff though... brings the memories right back. There was sooooooooo much I forgot. I was talking about people I'd even forgotten about. And lol, I remember meeting this group of Croatian lads one night and I must have given them my address and invited them to Ireland (I was still living with my parents :o ) and I found a couple of postcards that they'd sent me afterwards saying they can't wait to get to Ireland. I remember being terrified reading them and picturing my mothers face when this group of Croatian lads landed on my doorstep :D . They never did thank fuck.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :D Yep, it did!

I love keeping letters and diaries and stuff though... brings the memories right back. There was sooooooooo much I forgot. I was talking about people I'd even forgotten about. And lol, I remember meeting this group of Croatian lads one night and I must have given them my address and invited them to Ireland (I was still living with my parents :o ) and I found a couple of postcards that they'd sent me afterwards saying they can't wait to get to Ireland. I remember being terrified reading them and picturing my mothers face when this group of Croatian lads landed on my doorstep :D . They never did thank fuck.

That's really nice actually. I lie. I do keep some cards and letters. It depends how special they are. And I keep all my sons stuff.
  • Options
    Yeah! I moved house recently and found so much shite i'd collected over the years. Letters, school leaving book, pictures... it was all a bit emotional tbh!

The best thing I found was my diary that I've written in on and off since I was 11. It was really weird being 23 and reading it back, the last time i'd wrote in it was 7 years previously, and I was rabbiting on about some guy i'd met and moved in with! I felt compelled to write in it again (mainly because I was moving out from that relationship breaking down) and it was so emotional to read it back. I'd been through so much in the 7 years and i'd grown up so much!

I think i'm gonna keep that til the day I die tbh, I love the fact I don't write in it often, only really when something major happens. I'm not the type to write one everyday but when I do record the big events, my gosh they are huge!! I might sell it actually, would probably out-sell JK Rowling and Jilly Cooper... *thinks*....
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    I'm not enjoying rummaging through old stuff these days.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    That's really nice actually. I lie. I do keep some cards and letters. It depends how special they are. And I keep all my sons stuff.
    well I think I pretty much kept them all. There was a school friend of mine who I didn't realise I was still in touch with at that stage who sent me plenty of postcards and it's made me wanna look her up... and lots of my college friends wrote telling me what was going on at home. And there was lots of other stuff. It was really cool. I found stuff I'd completely forgotten about like (and this is probably pretty sad, lol) my grandmothers coin collection she'd given to me... there are 200 year old coins in there :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Yeah! I moved house recently and found so much shite i'd collected over the years. Letters, school leaving book, pictures... it was all a bit emotional tbh!

The best thing I found was my diary that I've written in on and off since I was 11. It was really weird being 23 and reading it back, the last time i'd wrote in it was 7 years previously, and I was rabbiting on about some guy i'd met and moved in with! I felt compelled to write in it again (mainly because I was moving out from that relationship breaking down) and it was so emotional to read it back. I'd been through so much in the 7 years and i'd grown up so much!

I think i'm gonna keep that til the day I die tbh, I love the fact I don't write in it often, only really when something major happens. I'm not the type to write one everyday but when I do record the big events, my gosh they are huge!! I might sell it actually, would probably out-sell JK Rowling and Jilly Cooper... *thinks*....
    I know what ya mean... I've never been much of a diary person either but when something big happened I felt the need to record it. I found one I kept when I was 11 too and it was fucking hilarious the things I felt necessary to note :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I'm not enjoying rummaging through old stuff these days.
    :( I'm sorry... but maybe now isn't the time... in a couple of years perhaps.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    well I think I pretty much kept them all. There was a school friend of mine who I didn't realise I was still in touch with at that stage who sent me plenty of postcards and it's made me wanna look her up... and lots of my college friends wrote telling me what was going on at home. And there was lots of other stuff. It was really cool. I found stuff I'd completely forgotten about like (and this is probably pretty sad, lol) my grandmothers coin collection she'd given to me... there are 200 year old coins in there :eek:

The last part's not sad. That's pretty cool.

This thread makes me think of The Simpsons. 'Sure it's not 1985 right now but who knows what tomorrow will bring'?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i loooovvvvveeee looking through old letters/cards/photos. i am pretty organized with all, boxes designated for years and/or specific individuals, 98% of photos in albums - before digital any way ;) - however there are some real old, or just misplaced photos floating about in a box or two. also, i have tidbits from travels, art postcards, ticket stubs, etc....great to look through! i have every card/letter my husband has ever written me, and that's going back to 1987! :eek: it's nice too, b/c most written correspondence and/or photos easy to store/organize, doesn't take up much space to save either. i even have a lot of my papers and notes from school, report cards, etc. i've only saved a small sampling of my artwork from my younger years, mostly from college/gradschool, takes up too much space...and sadly, i had to get rid of ALL the design models i made b/c again, just take up too much space! but i took pics. ;) hahaha. i just adore having *tangible* things to bring back a whole flush of memories and times in my life.

and yes, i have an expandable folder dedicated to pj ticket stubs, cards/notes from friends, pj stickers and memoriabilia from travels, etc. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    The last part's not sad. That's pretty cool.

This thread makes me think of The Simpsons. 'Sure it's not 1985 right now but who knows what tomorrow will bring'?
    yep, that's true. It's strange to think of back when all that was going on... I wonder what was going through my head... if I even knew I'd LIVE to be this old :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    i loooovvvvveeee looking through old letters/cards/photos. i am pretty organized with all, boxes designated for years and/or specific individuals, 98% of photos in albums - before digital any way ;) - however there are some real old, or just misplaced photos floating about in a box or two. also, i have tidbits from travels, art postcards, ticket stubs, etc....great to look through! i have every card/letter my husband has ever written me, and that's going back to 1987! :eek: it's nice too, b/c most written correspondence and/or photos easy to store/organize, doesn't take up much space to save either. i even have a lot of my papers and notes from school, report cards, etc. i've only saved a small sampling of my artwork from my younger years, mostly from college/gradschool, takes up too much space...and sadly, i had to get rid of ALL the design models i made b/c again, just take up too much space! but i took pics. ;) hahaha. i just adore having *tangible* things to bring back a whole flush of memories and times in my life.

and yes, i have an expandable folder dedicated to pj ticket stubs, cards/notes from friends, pj stickers and memoriabilia from travels, etc. : p
    I have all school reports and stuff too. I found my college exam results which I'd thought were lost :eek: . I'm MUCH less organised than that but I still have lots kept. I didn't go through everything last night... keeping some for another night :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I love goind through old stuff! :)

the bad thing is that I'm not organised at all. :o every now and then I swear I'll put everything in order and all.. but it never happens. lol.

although, I do have one drawer box for letters and such from Finnish people/Finland and other box for foreign memorabilia. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    I love goind through old stuff! :)

the bad thing is that I'm not organised at all. :o every now and then I swear I'll put everything in order and all.. but it never happens. lol.

although, I do have one drawer box for letters and such from Finnish people/Finland and other box for foreign memorabilia. :D
    Hahaha... I always swear I'll organise it too... and of course I never do. Cos I put it back in the wardrobe and say 'I'll do that in a couple of weeks when I get the time' :) which of course I never get :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I know what ya mean... I've never been much of a diary person either but when something big happened I felt the need to record it. I found one I kept when I was 11 too and it was fucking hilarious the things I felt necessary to note :D

Oh god, mine's better than a Billy Connelly stand up session only more cringe worthy!

The petty little things I used to record is hilarious! I was completely in love with this lad at school.. I liked the way I thought it was love! :rolleyes: ahhh... and the way that when you're 11, you think an argument with someone at school is the end of the world, they're all the uddered bovine's under the sun and three pages later you're staying over her house sharing secrets again!

It is good to read about stuff like my feelings on my first kiss, being useles with boys etc... I'm still a nervous sap even now! Somethings never change! :rolleyes: ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Oh god... the memories! Most of my really old stuff is still back in my parents house, gives me something to do when I go back to stay! All the old school reports, and letters from my friends when I was 13 giving out about other girls and the boys that I fancied!

And the best are all the old mix tapes I have, from pirate radio stations I could only listen to when I stuck a hanger out my window with the aerial attached.

Ah, back in the good ol' days :)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Oh god, mine's better than a Billy Connelly stand up session only more cringe worthy!

The petty little things I used to record is hilarious! I was completely in love with this lad at school.. I liked the way I thought it was love! :rolleyes: ahhh... and the way that when you're 11, you think an argument with someone at school is the end of the world, they're all the uddered bovine's under the sun and three pages later you're staying over her house sharing secrets again!

It is good to read about stuff like my feelings on my first kiss, being useles with boys etc... I'm still a nervous sap even now! Somethings never change!
    I never wrote about my first kiss strangely enough. Although I'll never forget that :D It lasted about 3 hours and I didn't move my head at all... my neck was killing me for a whole week but I was too fucking happy to give a fuck :D

And yep, even when I was in France one of the girls was writing to me about this fella I'd fancied in school. I musta still fancied him in college :confused: I was sure I'd moved on to the lovely Stephen by that stage :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Oh god... the memories! Most of my really old stuff is still back in my parents house, gives me something to do when I go back to stay! All the old school reports, and letters from my friends when I was 13 giving out about other girls and the boys that I fancied!

And the best are all the old mix tapes I have, from pirate radio stations I could only listen to when I stuck a hanger out my window with the aerial attached.

Ah, back in the good ol' days :)
    hahahaha... I found some mix tapes too... and ya get the dj coming in at the end of the songs and stuff :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Hahaha... I always swear I'll organise it too... and of course I never do. Cos I put it back in the wardrobe and say 'I'll do that in a couple of weeks when I get the time' :) which of course I never get :o

hehe. what usually happens to me is that I get all the stuff that I'm "going to organise" out but end up spending so much time just going through it and reading everything again and then get really hungry or something so I put it all aside.. and.. yeah, many times all the stuff's a bigger mess after I've put it away. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i love that kind of stuff...finding old notes, letters, even old calendars, seeing how i used to spend my days...haha.
    i've kept a diary since i was @11 and still do...it's a riot to look back now and see what i thought was sooo important back then. "it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind!"
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    hehe. what usually happens to me is that I get all the stuff that I'm "going to organise" out but end up spending so much time just going through it and reading everything again and then get really hungry or something so I put it all aside.. and.. yeah, many times all the stuff's a bigger mess after I've put it away. :o
    :o yep, I've that exact same problem too. It's like I start off with a kinda 'filing system', i.e. three piles: stuff I'm keeping, stuff I'm keeping OUT and wanna look at more, stuff I'm throwing away. But that three piles seem to turn into about 6 piles that I make up as I go along... and by the time I'm done there's just stuff all OVER the place :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    i love that kind of stuff...finding old notes, letters, even old calendars, seeing how i used to spend my days...haha.
    i've kept a diary since i was @11 and still do...it's a riot to look back now and see what i thought was sooo important back then. "it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind!"
    I really wish I was able to keep a proper diary :o I'd never find it though :D

I remember when I got to shake hands with President Mary Robinson when I was about 11/12 and for some reason I felt the need to note the registration number on her car :confused: what the fuck? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,112
    Yeah! I moved house recently and found so much shite i'd collected over the years.
    You never know just how much you really accumulate until you move. When I moved from my apartment to the house a couple of months ago, I had about 4 big trash bags of stuff that I never threw away, but didn't really have any use for anymore. I had lived there about 2.5 years and the place wasn't all that big. It's amazing that I was able to keep that much stuff there.

I hate to think what it will be like if my wife and I ever buy another house and have to move again. :eek:
  • Options
    You never know just how much you really accumulate until you move. When I moved from my apartment to the house a couple of months ago, I had about 4 big trash bags of stuff that I never threw away, but didn't really have any use for anymore. I had lived there about 2.5 years and the place wasn't all that big. It's amazing that I was able to keep that much stuff there.

I hate to think what it will be like if my wife and I ever buy another house and have to move again. :eek:
    :o I've wondered about what it would be like if I move... I've a housefull of stuff... very little of it I feel attached to but I'd have to get rid of it somehow :o

This was all stuff I'd put in the wardrobe after the last move (almost 4 years ago) and I haven't gone near it since
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    I really wish I was able to keep a proper diary :o I'd never find it though

I remember when I got to shake hands with President Mary Robinson when I was about 11/12 and for some reason I felt the need to note the registration number on her car :confused: what the fuck? :D
    lol :D
    and that's what i'm talking about - love finding those weird kind of things! :p
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,112
    :o I've wondered about what it would be like if I move... I've a housefull of stuff... very little of it I feel attached to but I'd have to get rid of it somehow :o

This was all stuff I'd put in the wardrobe after the last move (almost 4 years ago) and I haven't gone near it since
    I can't imagine what it would be like, especially with just getting married and having all of these house/kitchen presents along with all of the stuff that each one of us brought from our former residence. That is almost enough to give me a headache......spring cleaning anyone?
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    lol
    and that's what i'm talking about - love finding those weird kind of things! :p
    :D Oh there are much worse things that are too embarrassing to even type :D

marky, spring cleaning is a brilliant idea. I've been trying to do that for a long time now. My sister and brother left boxes of stuff when they moved out over a year ago though and they still haven't fucking collected them. They're taking up a small corner of the sitting room :( and it looks really messy... but it looks like they'll all be gone within the next week or so :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :o yep, I've that exact same problem too. It's like I start off with a kinda 'filing system', i.e. three piles: stuff I'm keeping, stuff I'm keeping OUT and wanna look at more, stuff I'm throwing away. But that three piles seem to turn into about 6 piles that I make up as I go along... and by the time I'm done there's just stuff all OVER the place :eek:

exactly the same here! :o and after everything's scattered all over the place I feel like I should clean up the whole place.. but I always seem to get distracted by something more fun to do.. :D