Options

Pet Peeve for today

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Why do some people feel the need to just talk about anything while you’re sitting at the lunch /breakfast table at work?

I have a very weak stomach and the last thing I need is someone talking about something that is going to turn my stomach and ruin my appetite.

Here are some examples over the last few days that my co-workers have talked about during lunch:

- my dog threw up all over our bed last night and then started eating it and then licking his butt

- the use of stem cell research on a mouse recently showed good promise for sickle cell disease – regeneration of healthy hemoglobin (while interesting, I don’t need to hear this part) – what they did was take the skin cells of the mouse and inserted a retrovirus, then injected the mouse with the retrovirus . . . etc. etc.

- the medicine I’m taking is causing me to develop boils on my legs

I feel like screaming, can't you see I'M TRYING TO EAT OVER HERE

Just typing this thread has ruined my appetite.

I'm curious as to whether any of you experience this stuff on a regular basis, but i'm almost afraid I'll be grossed out forever :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You should just pretend to go crazy and shout 'SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP'!
  • Options
    Time to get an iPod
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    lol that stuff wouldnt bother me...... id say go sit elsewhere or make a joke about how gross what theyre talking about is.. maybe theyll take it as a hint.
  • Options
    You should just pretend to go crazy and shout 'SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP'!

that would be pretty funny

the thing is, I read the paper during lunch, but I just can't help over hearing conversations going on around me

I TRY not to hear them
  • Options
    ihavadogihavadog Posts: 146
    "please don't talk about murder while i'm eating"
    i want to be enlightened

like i want to be told the end
  • Options
    Why do some people feel the need to just talk about anything while you’re sitting at the lunch /breakfast table at work?

I have a very weak stomach and the last thing I need is someone talking about something that is going to turn my stomach and ruin my appetite.

Here are some examples over the last few days that my co-workers have talked about during lunch:

- my dog threw up all over our bed last night and then started eating it and then licking his butt

- the use of stem cell research on a mouse recently showed good promise for sickle cell disease – regeneration of healthy hemoglobin (while interesting, I don’t need to hear this part) – what they did was take the skin cells of the mouse and inserted a retrovirus, then injected the mouse with the retrovirus . . . etc. etc.

I'm curious as to whether any of you experience this stuff on a regular basis, but i'm almost afraid I'll be grossed out forever :D
    why don't ya? I have to tell the lads to shut up on a regular basis when I'm eating... they'll talk about godknowswhat and all ya have to say is 'hey, some of us are still eating, come on'
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    If you can stomach it, do the same thing tomorrow at lunch. :p
    Or is they are Republican, talk about Hillary. lol
    Or the other way around.

Sorry to hear that. I don't think I have ever read a complaint from you.
    Enjoy your dinner. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    that's really disgusting, P&E. they sure are comfortable around their coworkers to talk like that....imagine how they talk to their families or spouses.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309

time to find another table to sit at but really that is so rude ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

There is a girl at my new workplace (a department store) that has absolutely no internal editing mechanism. Granted, I haven't had the horror of sharing a meal with or near her, but the things that LOUDLY come out of her mouth on the sales floor range from gross to inappropriate to absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    There is a girl at my new workplace (a department store) that has absolutely no internal editing mechanism. Granted, I haven't had the horror of sharing a meal with or near her, but the things that LOUDLY come out of her mouth on the sales floor range from gross to inappropriate to absolutely shocking.

I have one of those too, I like her, quite a bit actually, but she DOES NOT think before she speaks, EVER

and I have said things to people, like I'm trying to eat here, but by then, it's too late, I'm already grossed out
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Or is they are Republican, talk about Hillary. lol
    :)
    In English, please. ;)
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    this thread sort of reminds me of the exchanges between gilda radner and jane curtain on SNL back in the seventies....for example, gilda would mention hair being wrapped around soap and jane would gag.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more