Options

Sorry I don't like NFL

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
A am an absolute sports nut, but I see all these threads about NFL and I just can't get into the sport. I am not really exposed to it so iI can't get into it. If I live in the states I would probably like it though.

But when in Australia you get Rugby League and AFL no pads, no nothing (and no brains half the time.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYi3UFzqjM&feature=related

i'm not really bad mouthing NFL It's just not my thing. I hope your teams get into the Superbowl..

Please take A few minutes to check out some Aussie sports. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkrY3d1kvoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgP3ys_-dk&feature=related
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i can't really get into the NFL much either... but playoff NFL is exciting, and i like watching that.
  • Options
    Anyone see sports science last night?

They compared an NFL hit vs. a Rugby hit and the NFL hit generated 4000lbs of force where a rugby hit generated like 2600lbs.

The rugby hit however was worse because they dont wear pads. The pads distribute the force in the NFL whereas in rugby, its actually spread throughout the torso. you fuckers are nuts. put some pads on.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Now you know how I feel about the NBA.

I can't stand the NBA!!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    pjfan31 wrote:
    A am an absolute sports nut, but I see all these threads about NFL and I just can't get into the sport. I am not really exposed to it so iI can't get into it. If I live in the states I would probably like it though.

But when in Australia you get Rugby League and AFL no pads, no nothing (and no brains half the time.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYi3UFzqjM&feature=related

i'm not really bad mouthing NFL It's just not my thing. I hope your teams get into the Superbowl..

i understand your comments but how can you get into a sport that is really on played here in usa you are not exposed to all that goes with the nfl every sunday leading up to the playoffs, the same for your RUGBY we don't get any of what goes with the teams your league and points system and all of that so we really could care less about it ,in this country we have 4 major professional leagues to keep us entertained ,football,baseball,basketball,hockey...all with playoffs and championship games ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I don't like it either. I like the sport of football, but the NFL is just plain boring (not quite as bad as MLB, though). I actually tried to watch a bit of it yesterday because I finished my book and had some time to kill, but I turned it off after awhile.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    People from other countries always talk about how their sports of rugby and soccer dont wear helmets and pads. I wouldnt need helmets or pads either if I was getting hit by a guy of that size only. As for football, its pretty smart to be wearing pads and a helmet when getting hit by players that strong and that fast. People still get injured and there are still big hits.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

But when in Australia you get Rugby League and AFL no pads, no nothing (and no brains half the time.)
    I'm a sport fan, but I've never been able to get into football, either. I find it boring. There's too much stop and go. When I lived in Australia for a year (a couple of years ago), I got into rugby and AFL a little bit. In my opinion, rugby and AFL are so much more fun to watch, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of equipment (I don't buy into the whole "It's a better sport because it's tougher"). I prefer it because a lot more goes on than in an NFL game, making it more fast-paced and entertaining.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pjfan31 wrote:

Well i can understand what you mean. If i was over there or down there :) i would probably feel teh same way. I grew up with NFL and i love it. Just as i'm sure you grew up with rugby and love that.

I think their is a lot of skill in the game that maybe the casual eye does not see, just like i'm sure there are tons of little things i miss in rugby that if i grew up with the game i would appreciate.

A big draw for football though besides teh sport itself is the city comradery. I mean people grow up going to bars to watch their team or sitting down every sunday with their dad to watch their team etc etc. It becomes a social event as much as it is a sport. Just like i'm sure with sports all around.

so if you are not apart of it ... well it is harder to get into and appreciate.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I love football. love it. September to January are great. the rest of the year sucks.

i dont really follow any other sports anymore though. most are boring to me now that i have video games and other distractions. I play fantasy baseball, which keeps me interested in the players stats, but half the time i dont even know what team they play for.

oh, but i'm all about some frisbee golf.
  • Options
    I grew up with football so I like it too. However i am an odd one because the real football is my favorite sport due to heritage. It just depends on what surrounds you and what you are exposed to.

I am an odd one even further because I like MLB better than the NFL.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Watch these movies and you may understand why people love football so much

Rudy
    Friday Night Lights
    Invincible
    Brian's Song
    Remember The Titans
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Why are you apologizing? You're not hurting anyone. If you don't like it. Don't watch it.
  • Options
    People from other countries always talk about how their sports of rugby and soccer dont wear helmets and pads. I wouldnt need helmets or pads either if I was getting hit by a guy of that size only. As for football, its pretty smart to be wearing pads and a helmet when getting hit by players that strong and that fast. People still get injured and there are still big hits.

Your kidding? they are fkn huge http://www.ourfootyteam.com/images/rugbyLeague_clubs/players/bulldogs/sonny_bill_williams/2007/april07/sonny_bill_williams_s2.jpg

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2007/11/15/Mason.jpg

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2007/06/23/cowboys1_narrowweb__300x437,0.jpg

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2007/06/23/cowboys1_narrowweb__300x437,0.jpg

Oh and remember the titans is one of my favourite movies. Not because of the football but because of the message. A beautiful story.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Sorry I don't like soccer I think it's the most boring sport
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    Sorry I don't like soccer I think it's the most boring sport

agreed, however when the world cup was on and Australia were in it for the first time in like 30 something years, I Loved it, I couldn't get enough of it.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    monster95monster95 Posts: 127
    isnt "soccer" the only contact sport in the world where you cant use your hands...so, me thinks.its the beautiful game...c'mon the celts !!!
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I used to follow most sports, but barely have time for hockey now...if I had time, I'd get into NFL...but since I don't have a 'team', it's hard to really care who wins n loses...which makes it boring. I like Rugby and Aussie Rules too, but you pretty much have to join a rugby club to get anyone to watch it with you...I like how the guys in the vids in the header post always seem to get up...unlike certain other sports.

Anyone see sports science last night?

They compared an NFL hit vs. a Rugby hit and the NFL hit generated 4000lbs of force where a rugby hit generated like 2600lbs.

The rugby hit however was worse because they dont wear pads. The pads distribute the force in the NFL whereas in rugby, its actually spread throughout the torso. you fuckers are nuts. put some pads on.

curious - did they measure hockey hits?
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    Please......go play in the NFL and then talk about your fucking pad theory. There's not one person on here right now, me included, that could make it through one game in the NFL playing a position other than kicker. And there are some pretty tough people on here. Mostly pussies though.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    monster95monster95 Posts: 127
    NFL...looks the dogs bollix...its fast.tough..with plenty of skill..
    but i hate the fact that theres waaaaay too many rules no'one understands oute america and too many stoppages and breaks..the game never seems to flow for more than a few mins...why? would be far more exciting if it didnt stop for tv ads every 3 mins....just a thought
    I plan to live forever.so far so good !
  • Options
    Why are you apologizing?? I am sure the NFL doesn't really care if you don't like them that way...provided you can still be friends.

it's a great game, but it is also one that requires a bit of commitment to follow. I think it is just a cultural thing.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    monster95 wrote:
    NFL...looks the dogs bollix...its fast.tough..with plenty of skill..
    but i hate the fact that theres waaaaay too many rules no'one understands oute america and too many stoppages and breaks..the game never seems to flow for more than a few mins...why? would be far more exciting if it didnt stop for tv ads every 3 mins....just a thought

I understand what you're saying, but once you do understand all the rules then it makes the game that much better! I don't know the rules of rugby, but I would dare to say that football is a much more complex sport. They are not just running and trying to kick a ball through a goal, but rather running drawn up plays in order to exploit the other's weakness via the teams superstar athlete. After witnessing a big play in football, commercials don't seem that bad. They give you time to get a beer.. and sometimes they are funny!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    Trailer wrote:
    I understand what you're saying, but once you do understand all the rules then it makes the game that much better! I don't know the rules of rugby, but I would dare to say that football is a much more complex sport. They are not just running and trying to kick a ball through a goal, but rather running drawn up plays in order to exploit the other's weakness via the teams superstar athlete. After witnessing a big play in football, commercials don't seem that bad. They give you time to get a beer.. and sometimes they are funny!

That is the beauty of football, I love how complex it is and the rules make it great for exciting games (particularly ones that come down to the last seconds of the game)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Im for instant replay, but just leave it to the refs to decide when to use it.theyve got to get rid of that instant replay challenge crap, it slows down the game way too much. The coaches shouldnt be able to challenge so much.

and it shouldnt take so long to figure out if they need to reverse the call. maybe 30 seconds at most.

it kills the flow of the game sometimes.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Im for instant replay, but just leave it to the refs to decide when to use it.theyve got to get rid of that instant replay challenge crap, it slows down the game way too much. The coaches shouldnt be able to challenge so much.

and it shouldnt take so long to figure out if they need to reverse the call. maybe 30 seconds at most.

it kills the flow of the game sometimes.

I think the system works just fine
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    cory wrote:
    Please......go play in the NFL and then talk about your fucking pad theory. There's not one person on here right now, me included, that could make it through one game in the NFL playing a position other than kicker. And there are some pretty tough people on here. Mostly pussies though.
    i think i could make it through a game. . .(i played in college). . .dont know enough or have seen enough rugby to tell how rough it is. . .i just know they have that thing where all the guys from both teams get in that big huddle, i have no idea what they are doing but whatever. . .and i like when that whenever there is a score that ref makes that quick, silly motion with his arms, its amusing
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    i think i could make it through a game. . .(i played in college). . .dont know enough or have seen enough rugby to tell how rough it is. . .i just know they have that thing where all the guys from both teams get in that big huddle, i have no idea what they are doing but whatever. . .and i like when that whenever there is a score that ref makes that quick, silly motion with his arms, its amusing

Yeah it is called a scrum. It is pretty pointless in Rugby LEague. It used to be a real contest for the ball and you would get all these guys pushing for the ball. This is what happened at a scrum in 1995.

Very enjoyable. Never get sick of seeing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vdQrAvLH2k
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

I think it's called a "Scrum"

They use it in Hockey sometimes when there is mad chaos in front of the net
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers