Options

not sure if I overreacted at work

spongersponger Posts: 3,160
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I recently turned in a couple of big projects at work, and as a result I got some kudos around the office.

But for a couple of my co-workers, it didn't stop with the kudos. They decided give me a nickname to denote the so-called "rising star" reputation that they seem to feel I've somehow earned.

They started referring to me as "Gold Star (enter first name)". So, at least a few times a day, I hear "Gold Star..." being pronounced in a sort of a hip-hop kind of tone. You know what I mean...it's that "shout out" voice that hip-hopsters make when they are in the mood for self-veneration.

At first, I just kind of chuckled and responded with something like, "Wut up, G's." Eventually, I kept hearing it with greater frequency.

Also one thing I want to mention is that these guys aren't usually the type of guys who like to give praise and encouragement. Point in fact is that they are the official office antagonizers. They're the ones who are the first to comment on who the "idiots" are and what's wrong with what.

So, I eventually started to feel like their "shout-outs" were more like their way of expressing something with more of a negative connotation.

So, today I approached them and said something along the lines of, "Look guys, I don't want to sound like a jerk... in fact, I really want you guys to like me. But, with the nickname that you've given me....I'm sure you don't mean anything by it..."

And so they went, "No problem. If it offends you, then we'll stop."

So I said thanks and walked back to my cube. Not a moment later, a neutral employee in the vicinity who I guess overheard the conversation said to me, "'Normal' is just a cycle. It's like a washing cycle. It's much better to be an individual. Be yourself. Relax."

I went, "OK," and she was on her way.

But, that made me wonder: Was I not being myself? Do I need to relax?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    if it annoyed you then u had good reason to ask them to stop... nicknames can be so annoying! By asking them to stop because it annoyed u was being yourself, i would think. just my opinion. :)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    sponger wrote:
    I recently turned in a couple of big projects at work, and as a result I got some kudos around the office.

But for a couple of my co-workers, it didn't stop with the kudos. They decided give me a nickname to denote the so-called "rising star" reputation that they seem to feel I've somehow earned.

They started referring to me as "Gold Star (enter first name)". So, at least a few times a day, I hear "Gold Star..." being pronounced in a sort of a hip-hop kind of tone. You know what I mean...it's that "shout out" voice that hip-hopsters make when they are in the mood for self-veneration.

At first, I just kind of chuckled and responded with something like, "Wut up, G's." Eventually, I kept hearing it with greater frequency.

Also one thing I want to mention is that these guys aren't usually the type of guys who like to give praise and encouragement. Point in fact is that they are the official office antagonizers. They're the ones who are the first to comment on who the "idiots" are and what's wrong with what.

So, I eventually started to feel like their "shout-outs" were more like their way of expressing something with more of a negative connotation.

So, today I approached them and said something along the lines of, "Look guys, I don't want to sound like a jerk... in fact, I really want you guys to like me. But, with the nickname that you've given me....I'm sure you don't mean anything by it..."

And so they went, "No problem. If it offends you, then we'll stop."

So I said thanks and walked back to my cube. Not a moment later, a neutral employee in the vicinity who I guess overheard the conversation said to me, "'Normal' is just a cycle. It's like a washing cycle. It's much better to be an individual. Be yourself. Relax."

I went, "OK," and she was on her way.

But, that made me wonder: Was I not being myself? Do I need to relax?

as soon as i started reading about their apraisal, i knew they meant it in a negative kind of way. Sponger, it's not the first time i hear you talk about colleague problems. Your workplace reminds me of a school playground, it's disgusting. I can't believe some men never grow out of being dicks. Those pricks need to get sacked.That woman was right when she said "be yourself", i think she only said it because you said to those guys that you want to be liked by them. It they don't like you then fuck them......from what i can see they are herd animals......or.....dare i say they are sheep. Which kind of reminds me of "Rats" song.

Be proud of who you are ( not saying that you're not proud though ), i would go as far as to say piss them off even more, get on their nerves. :)
  • Options
    oh, damn. and no you have not overreacted at work, you managed to handle it well. just don't say "i want to be liked by you guys" again.
  • Options
    No, you did the right thing.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    genie wrote:
    i would go as far as to say piss them off even more, get on their nerves. :)

Exactly. If someone's uptight enough to be giving you shit in the workplace then take the zen approach - make them more uptight. Be as obnoxious as you can be and irritate the fuckers until their fucking heads explode. Small minded people need to be degraded and humiliated as much as possible until they snap out of their pathetic ways. And if they don't snap out of it, then that's their tough shit. At least you'll have a laugh at their expense.
    It's the same when you meet stuck-up, snooty people. They're like a red rag to me. If they find me in the least 'uncouth', or 'common', then I'll make a point of being as annoying and offensive as I can possibly be. I get a kick out of watching them squirm.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It's the same when you meet stuck-up, snooty people. They're like a red rag to me. If they find me in the least 'uncouth', or 'common', then I'll make a point of being as annoying and offensive as I can possibly be. I get a kick out of watching them squirm.

:D um...Steve, Steve i like your approach, and great example :)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I think you handled it great. Something bothered you, you politely asked them to stop and they said they would. You have a right to feel how you feel about stuff.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    You confronted it non-violently, so thats good right there.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    At least they don't call you "Big Tuna".
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    At least they don't call you "Big Tuna".

When the recipient is a woman, I would say that term borders on sexual harassment. That would be like referring to a male co-worker as "Little Sausage."

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's actually comforting to know that I did the right thing instead of wondering if I'm too uptight.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    sponger wrote:
    When the recipient is a woman, I would say that term borders on sexual harassment. That would be like referring to a male co-worker as "Little Sausage."

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's actually comforting to know that I did the right thing instead of wondering if I'm too uptight.

LOL...it was from The Office...nevermind. :o
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper