Feel very sick from my Ventless Gas Fireplace

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
When my wife and i first moved into our house 5 years ago the gas fireplace worked great with no problems.
Now, if I use it there is a bad smell and I get a bad headache and my eyes burn. I looked into this on the net (greatest thing in the world) and I found a bunch of stories of how bad the ventless propane ones really are. Many people had the same problems as i do. It has a really bad effect on kids. Well that is the end of that. I am never turning it on again.
Anyone else have this problem?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    We have a gas heater. I don't know if it's supposed to be a ventless one or not but several years ago it started spewing gas into the house, so we just don't turn it on anymore. Those things are toxic if they don't work properly.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I used to sell them. Even the most economical "ventless" varieties still release carbon monoxide. If you are burning LP gas through a ventless log set most likely the carburetor has soot built-up in it and is releasing carbon monoxide.
    LP gas is a dirty gas and they shouldn't sell ventless log sets to LP customers w/o explaining the problems.

The "ventless" log sets we sold were intended for natural gas use only.

Is your flame yellow/orange? or blue?

A blue flame is a clean flame anything else indicates impurities which are released into your house instead of out a vent.

You probably also have a moisture problem also.
    the Minions
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Maybe get the authorised service repair man to come and have a look at it.

I just want you to be warm, ya know ?
  • When my wife and i first moved into our house 5 years ago the gas fireplace worked great with no problems.
    Now, if I use it there is a bad smell and I get a bad headache and my eyes burn. I looked into this on the net (greatest thing in the world) and I found a bunch of stories of how bad the ventless propane ones really are. Many people had the same problems as i do. It has a really bad effect on kids. Well that is the end of that. I am never turning it on again.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Dude, that sounds nasty. I had to look it up to make sure it sounded exactly like what is really was. Who would invent or install such a thing? I would never turn such a device on and breathe around it in my house either.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-ventless-gas-fireplaces.htm
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    go outside and take a deep breath every 15 minutes.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Change it to a wood burning fireplace, at least if the man turns the gas off you can still stay warm.

After reading this I see it works as good as the "smokeless" indoor grills.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • get rid of it :o my cousins died when their gas heater (not a fire I know) exploded. It's not worth it... really really not. Please get rid.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • I used to sell them. Even the most economical "ventless" varieties still release carbon monoxide. If you are burning LP gas through a ventless log set most likely the carburetor has soot built-up in it and is releasing carbon monoxide.
    LP gas is a dirty gas and they shouldn't sell ventless log sets to LP customers w/o explaining the problems.

The "ventless" log sets we sold were intended for natural gas use only.

Is your flame yellow/orange? or blue?

A blue flame is a clean flame anything else indicates impurities which are released into your house instead of out a vent.

You probably also have a moisture problem also.

You really know your stuff.
    The flames in the front are blue, but the big ones in the back are yellow.
    How do I fix this?
    When we first moved in it worked fine, no smell or anything, but now I can not even turn it on.
    The whole thing just seems to dangerous to play with.
    I might look into building a vent for it.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • even flow? wrote:
    Change it to a wood burning fireplace, at least if the man turns the gas off you can still stay warm.

After reading this I see it works as good as the "smokeless" indoor grills.

I grew up with a wood burning fireplace. I love them, Ah the smell of them brings back childhood memories.
    But, I also have shit memories of me stacking two cords of wood by myself when I was 10 years old. Man that job sucked. Everyday afterschool.
    Not fun.hahaha.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • The whole thing just seems to dangerous to play with.
    gas and flames just shouldn't go together... ever :o I mean who came up with THAT stupid idea anyway :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I've got one in my house, but I'm very leery of using it. I haven't even hooked it up yet.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.