Options

we're getting lake effect!

given2fly78given2fly78 Posts: 404
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
And it's coming down hard! Let it begin. I didn't even do the old "It's pretty out" being first snow and all. Already it's depressing. Still have the patio furniture on the deck - oops!

Supposed to last all day, I'm being optimistic it will stop....
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    happy shovelin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    We are also getting Lake effect snow, but it doesn't look like the 10-15 cm that they were calling for.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    And it's coming down hard! Let it begin. I didn't even do the old "It's pretty out" being first snow and all. Already it's depressing. Still have the patio furniture on the deck - oops!

We're getting a bit here today too...and my hands nearly froze off the few minutes I was outside. Time to get the cold weather stuff back out. :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    anyone live near Suffercuse???
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Ohmygawd! You have snow! ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd! Yippee! I'm so happy :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Ohmygawd! You have snow! ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd! Yippee! I'm so happy :)

I'll put up some pictures once it reaches a "lovely" point. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options

Are you in the area where they had about 10 feet on the ground last year?

I spent about a year in Pulaski as a youth, in case you care. :)
  • Options
    I've already put the trimmings on my igloo, and my sled dogs are getting feisty.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Saw some flakes on the drive this morning. Nothing substantial, didn't last. Bring on the snow, I'm reading. We had about 15-18 C degree weather on Monday and Tuesday. I'd rather it not be that warm this late in November
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I hope this doesnt sound idiotic - but what the heck is lake effect?

obviously it has something to do with snow...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options

Lake effect snow is snow that is pretty heavy, in which the storm has come over a lake and is dumping alot of heavy snow in short periods of time. I think the evaporation of the lake adds to the precipitation, so when it hits land it dumps a huge amount. Usually people around the Great Lakes talk about it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    Lake effect snow is snow that is pretty heavy, in which the storm has come over a lake and is dumping alot of heavy snow in short periods of time. I think the evaporation of the lake adds to the precipitation, so when it hits land it dumps a huge amount. Usually people around the Great Lakes talk about it

oh. Thanks.

I thought it was like blizzardy snow or something really bad - but this sounds kinda cool.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    oh. Thanks.

I thought it was like blizzardy snow or something really bad - but this sounds kinda cool.

It can be damn near white-out conditions...very tricky, especially going down I-81 or the Thruway.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Yeah it's cool if you want to get into a snowball fight, or play around. But it can be pretty deadly for driving around the city. When I lived in London, Ontario, we would get monster lake effect storms, just dumped on for hours, and of course, when such snow is falling, the plows wait out the storm, so driving becomes brutal
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    smarchee wrote:
    Yeah it's cool if you want to get into a snowball fight, or play around. But it can be pretty deadly for driving around the city. When I lived in London, Ontario, we would get monster lake effect storms, just dumped on for hours, and of course, when such snow is falling, the plows wait out the storm, so driving becomes brutal
    The storm kinda missed us this time around, we got a little, but nothing like last year when the snow was as high as my gate.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Tell me now...is there no better place to go after you've shoveled snow than the Dinosaur BBQ!!!??
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    It can be damn near white-out conditions...very tricky, especially going down I-81 or the Thruway.

oh :o

sorry - I was sort of envisioning a big blanket of white falling on everything - like a goose down quilt...

I um, only see snow when I travel to it and it is usually already on the ground. :o
  • Options
    oh :o

sorry - I was sort of envisioning a big blanket of white falling on everything - like a goose down quilt...

I um, only see snow when I travel to it and it is usually already on the ground. :o

you hit the nail on the head here...at times a lake effect storm can look like that
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I was up in Buffalo a few years ago visiting a friend when a lake effect snow storm blew through. Holy shit is was just coming down like nothing I had ever seen before and I have lived through some serious blizzards here in Jersey. My friend then tells me that they get these types of storms all the time. I love the snow and all but I would loose my damn mind if it snowed like that all winter long.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i live on lake geneva and the mountain i am on has it on the top but it hasnt came down as far as the house yet!! but on the other side of the lake it is lower and has definately hit some houses. so beautiful but i prefer summer :)
  • Options
    anyone live near Suffercuse???

you NAILED it LOL!

And even a trip to Dinosaur won't cure my distaste for snow. But its blowing like crazy.

And you'd think that upstate NY drivers wouldn't drive Mach 10 on the first "real" snowfall of the year. I must have counted 5 cars off the road on my way into work.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "

• Options
    John Budge wrote:
    Are you in the area where they had about 10 feet on the ground last year?

I spent about a year in Pulaski as a youth, in case you care. :)

I was close enough, that was Oswego, I'm about 20 minutes away - close to Syracuse.

And Pulaski got hammered last year as well! Good job on the move! :)

• Options

lake effect snow is something that most of us around the great lakes deal with. It happens in the fall and late spring when the water temperature is still warm (anything above freezing) and when a cold front with air temps near or below freezing moves across the lake, it causes massive evaporation of the lake water and forms these low thick grey clouds that we get here in cleveland. These clouds become saturated and when they move over the land which is not as warm....you get heavy snow...usually in a short amount of time.
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    tremorvoid wrote:
    lake effect snow is something that most of us around the great lakes deal with. It happens in the fall and late spring when the water temperature is still warm (anything above freezing) and when a cold front with air temps near or below freezing moves across the lake, it causes massive evaporation of the lake water and forms these low thick grey clouds that we get here in cleveland. These clouds become saturated and when they move over the land which is not as warm....you get heavy snow...usually in a short amount of time.

This winter is going to be awful with lake effect in my area. It's been soooo warm and Ontario is ripe for lake effect.

I'm so screwed already.

This discussion has been closed.