Options

geek squad are idiots (rant)

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
since i had money to spend today i figured no better time to get more ram for the slow computer. so i drive out, about 30 minutes drive, and i kinda realize i dont remember exactly what kinda ram i need. so i figured id ask one of these supposed computer guys what was the kind i needed. so he told me it was simply ddr3200 or higher. i was sure it was more complicated than that but he knows what he is talking about. so i buy what he said drive all the way back home and open up my computer and try to stick it in(the ram, not my little thingy that would most likely hurt). well i figured it was just alittle tight when it wouldnt fit. new stuff tends to be like that. so i looked at the gap, lined it up and pushed, still nothing. so i pull out one of the old ones and compared them. yep different sizes. there was like a 3-4 pin difference on one side of the gap. so i had to drive all the way back out there to return the thing. such idiots. i mean in 5 minutes time i could have googled what i needed and these experts cant even get that right. that just annoys me. ask someone you'd assume knows, and is being paid to know, and they get it wrong. i should kick that kid in the groin next time i see him and hang him from a ceiling fan from his corny black tie.

that really doesnt feel better either. wasted my whole evening.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Not sticking up for Geek Squad but

Did you ask one of the other geeks in the blue shirts there ?

I thought Geek Squad only comes to your house and doesn't work in the store ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    They are complete idiots.

I once bought an audio recorder and wanted to find out if it was Mac compatible. So I took it over to their desk and asked them and the guy couldn't figure it out and so he said it didn't look like it was and suggested I didn't buy it. I was about to put it back on the shelf and asked the clerk, after three seconds of examining the package, right on the front it said "MAC COMPATIBLE." Sure I looked like the idiot for not seeing it, but I mean that's the Geek Squad guy's job.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    They are complete idiots.

I once bought an audio recorder and wanted to find out if it was Mac compatible. So I took it over to their desk and asked them and the guy couldn't figure it out and so he said it didn't look like it was and suggested I didn't buy it. I was about to put it back on the shelf and asked the clerk, after three seconds of examining the package, right on the front it said "MAC COMPATIBLE." Sure I looked like the idiot for not seeing it, but I mean that's the Geek Squad guy's job.
    Fuck you! I work for Geek Squad.. seriously. Do you have any idea how many pieces of software and devices are out there?!

People want us to know everything. Read the package! It's a $10 to $16 an hour retail job. There is so many products coming out every few weeks, there's no way to keep up with everything. It's retail. Not brain surgery.. anyone who knows the basic about PCs can get a job working in the store. We deal with incompetent customers. Thats the specialty. People who can't find a power switch or plug a fucking modem in.. there's allot of people like that.

P.S. we fix allot of stupid problems people bring in that their company's IT guys can figure out, so it kind of makes me wonder..

Lesson learned, don't generalize.
  • Options
    . so he told me it was simply ddr3200 or higher.
    He was guessing because you couldn't remember what PC you had. , and you accepted his guess. Write the info down next time or bring the fucking computer in... let me guess, you needed DDR2. I'm sure you expected the kid to use telepathy to look inside your PC.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of different computers. You know how I check to see what kind of RAM somebody needs? Either open the machine up to look or go to Crucial.com and do a model search.. Unless you are Rain Man, its the only way to know for sure.
  • Options
    Fuck you! I work for Geek Squad.. seriously. Do you have any idea how many pieces of software and devices are out there?!

People want us to know everything. Read the package! It's a $10 to $16 an hour retail job. There is so many products coming out every few weeks, there's no way to keep up with everything. It's retail. Not brain surgery.. anyone who knows the basic about PCs can get a job working in the store. We deal with incompetent customers. Thats the specialty. People who can't find a power switch or plug a fucking modem in.. there's allot of people like that.

P.S. we fix allot of stupid problems people bring in that their company's IT guys can figure out, so it kind of makes me wonder..

Lesson learned, don't generalize.

hahahaha @ you working at geek squad.
  • Options
    Why is it funny?
  • Options
    wow. who are you to be calling someone an idiot if you're making fun of how someone makes a living.?

GROW UP.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Why is it funny?

Do you drive in those cars and stuff? It's not the type of job that's funny, it's the whole Geek Squad concept I find amusing.
  • Options
    Do you drive in those cars and stuff? It's not the type of job that's funny, it's the whole Geek Squad concept I find amusing.
    oh, didnt mean what i said above.

you shoulda been clearer. :o
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    since i had money to spend today i figured no better time to get more ram for the slow computer. so i drive out, about 30 minutes drive, and i kinda realize i dont remember exactly what kinda ram i need. so i figured id ask one of these supposed computer guys what was the kind i needed. so he told me it was simply ddr3200 or higher. i was sure it was more complicated than that but he knows what he is talking about. so i buy what he said drive all the way back home and open up my computer and try to stick it in(the ram, not my little thingy that would most likely hurt). well i figured it was just alittle tight when it wouldnt fit. new stuff tends to be like that. so i looked at the gap, lined it up and pushed, still nothing. so i pull out one of the old ones and compared them. yep different sizes. there was like a 3-4 pin difference on one side of the gap. so i had to drive all the way back out there to return the thing. such idiots. i mean in 5 minutes time i could have googled what i needed and these experts cant even get that right. that just annoys me. ask someone you'd assume knows, and is being paid to know, and they get it wrong. i should kick that kid in the groin next time i see him and hang him from a ceiling fan from his corny black tie.

that really doesnt feel better either. wasted my whole evening.

i love it.....you go to the store without the proper information and you're pissed they couldn't help you?.....gimmie a fucking break....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    No. I work out of the store. I've been working for the company since high school. I have a bachelors degree but never followed my major.. You have to understand though when dealing with Geek Squad you are dealing with varying levels of PC knowledge. Most of the people I work with are going to school and most hate the job, but the hours are very flexable and benefits are good. I do work with a few idiots, but I also work with some of my best friends. You have to be careful about generalizing because of a bad experience. Every work place has its share idiots and retail more so.. and I'm not convinced that the employee the original thread starter dealt with did anything wrong.

I am looking for another job though, because, A. I need more money and B. I'm tired of dealing with people having nervous breakdowns because their PC crashed and they don't have their lives backed up. I get chewed out everyday day for things that are out of my control.. Other than the crazy customers, I really enjoy working with the people I work with. We have allot of fun and even those who've moved on in life from Geek Squad I still keep in regular touch with.
  • Options
    If you're going to be yanking the chips out yourself, why not do it before you go and be 100%

i.e. bring one with you, or write down the particulars of it at the very least.

Or just get the make and model of your system board, and look it up online....even easier.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    If you're going to be yanking the chips out yourself, why not do it before you go and be 100%

i.e. bring one with you, or write down the particulars of it at the very least.

Or just get the make and model of your system board, and look it up online....even easier.
    Thats the ONLY way to do it. You can't expect any human to have a data base of thousands of computers in their head.
  • Options
    on your way home, can you pick me up a set of winter tires....I drive a Honda.....or it could be Nissan....no wait....it's a Honda
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    cutback wrote:
    i love it.....you go to the store without the proper information and you're pissed they couldn't help you?.....gimmie a fucking break....:rolleyes:
    I'm with cutback and LikeAnOcean on this one.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i would just like to say that "geek squad" are the last people i would be going to for any computer issues.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

no i told him the exact computer i had. like i said 5 minutes on google he would have had the answer. easy stuff. i told him exactly what to look for. and he couldnt do that.
  • Options
    on your way home, can you pick me up a set of winter tires....I drive a Honda.....or it could be Nissan....no wait....it's a Honda

you tell me year and model and i can tell you exact tires you need unless you no longer have factory rims. now i couldnt balance the tires cause i dont know that but i can google. something most computer guys know, i hope.

to people that have said most of the people geek squad deal with arent very smart.... the people infront of me brought in their camera and said it stopped turing on and that it was broke........they needed new batteries. i honestly could not do that job and not laugh at people like that.

i wasnt throwing this guy a trick question or making him take a crapshoot.