Options

Very Important Question

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
What are the main ingredients of a tiffin?

If you think you know please don't google it, just answer. This is a life or death situation. I need to know!
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    tiff???????
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    :p Maybe they have a different name stateside. Hang on, I'll go and check.
  • Options
    Nope, no different name, maybe they just aren't sold over there. They're a type of chocolate bar if that helps.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Nope, no different name, maybe they just aren't sold over there. They're a type of chocolate bar if that helps.

Nope, sorry. I got nothing.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Love :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Ok then, I'll explain and expand the question. This was prompted by the caveman Vs Astronauts thread, as it is possibly the dumbest, yet most time consuming debate me and my friends have ever had.

There is a snack bar available over here called tiffin. A few different companies make them. It's a chocolate bar with raisins and bits of biscuit throughout. Every recipe we've looked up on t'internet confirms these to be the main ingredients. Anyway, there is one brand sold on my campus shop that doesn't have raisins, yet it's still called a tiffin on the wrapper. My friends and i have been arguing at length over whether it can still be called a tiffin even though it doesn't have the constituent ingredients. A couple of the guys think that it's just this particular brand has a slightly different recipe for Tiffin. Myself and another couple of guys are of the opinion that as soon as you remove one of the main ingredients, it ceases to be a tiffin and is now just a chocolate and biscuit bar, and they shouldn't call the bar a tiffin because by definition it's not.

What say you oh wise members of the pit?

Oh drop the leash, if only that were true ;)
  • Options
    hardly life or death ::scoff:: I thought maybe you ate it, and had an allergy ;)
  • Options
    hardly life or death ::scoff:: I thought maybe you ate it, and had an allergy ;)
    You have no idea how long this debate has been raging :p

And if I can get enough people on my side it'll show 'em all :D
  • Options
    Actually I know several, but I'm not sharing...fingers are too tired to share...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    well it sounds like crunch bars for example, regular ones are rice crispy and chocolate, but my husband likes the ones with caramel too. But they are still called crunch bars, just one with caramel. So maybe this is the same thing, Tiffin minus raisins. And if Tiffin is a type of candy bar, there is no reason they can't offer a variety of different versions of Tiffin?

Make any sense?
  • Options
    well it sounds like crunch bars for example, regular ones are rice crispy and chocolate, but my husband likes the ones with caramel too. But they are still called crunch bars, just one with caramel. So maybe this is the same thing, Tiffin minus raisins. And if Tiffin is a type of candy bar, there is no reason they can't offer a variety of different versions of Tiffin?

Make any sense?
    It's not a brand name though like Crunch bars, it's a recipe name. Take Cadburys. Their Tiffin bar has raisins and biscuit, but hey have another bar just with biscuit. They don't call it biscuit tiffin though, the call it dairy milk crunch (or something along those lines). Now if the name Tiffin was just the name of a particular bar, and then they brought out a variation of it (such as crunch/caramel crunch or moro/moro peanut) that would be ok, but because it's a recipe used by multiple brands, shouldn't each bar have common ingredients?
  • Options
    oh oh! I understand now.. then yeah, doesn't seem like it would be a tiffin bar. I agree with you then!
  • Options
    oh oh! I understand now.. then yeah, doesn't seem like it would be a tiffin bar. I agree with you then!
    Woo! One more to the cause :D
  • Options
    sorry hitch... I hate raisins but I LOVE tiffins :) that answer your question?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I've never eaten a tiffin with raisins, cos I hate raisins and I never would have known there's meant to be raisins in one... am I broken?
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    I have never had a tiffin bar but tiffin just means snack/light lunch. Therefore it is just a snack bar so can contain anything.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.