Options

tell me if this makes sense.

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
we are getting 3-5 inches of snow today. 3-5 inches. this is massachusetts, it has snowed here before. Yet the earth seems to be shattering.

I've got to all the way home now and move my car to the other side of the street so it doesn't get towed. of course, there won't be any room on the other side of the street. the city (not boston, slummerville), has decided that to solve this problem by letting you park in school parking lots AFTER 3 PM. But they are towing cars at 2 PM.

ARRRGGGGHHHHH I've had it!!! Cambridge isn't NEARLY as bad, they just don't plow. I'm fine with that!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Schools around here (Worcester/Springfield) are either closed or closing early. My work is letting us out at 12:30pm. Can't believe it. In Syracuse this would be call 'Thursday', yet here it's a major freakin' live-changing event.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    We get 3-5 CENTIMETRES here and you'd think the apocalypse just hit...
    And I live in Canada, for shit's sake...
  • Options
    Schools around here (Worcester/Springfield) are either closed or closing early. My work is letting us out at 12:30pm. Can't believe it. In Syracuse this would be call 'Thursday', yet here it's a major freakin' live-changing event.

I know I can't believe it! I was watching TV at the gym this morning and the number of cancellations and early closings was ridiculous! They shouldn't just do this every time it snows. What about all the working parents who are now going to have to scramble like crazy to get their kid picked up early or have someone to watch them all that extra time?
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    The world is turning into a pathetic place. There's no way 3-5 inches of snow in a northern, major city should cause many cancellations. It didn't use to, I'm sure.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    It's not just the amount of inches, it's how fast it comes down. This is gonna be heavy heavy snowfall...that weighs a lot more on driving conditions than the final amount.

I'm gettin' out at 2pm!
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    It's funny, I once told a girl she's getting 3-5 inches and she barely even snickered at the idea....coincedently, alternate side parking was also in effect that day..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The Champ wrote:
    It's funny, I once told a girl she's getting 3-5 inches and she barely even snickered at the idea....coincedently, alternate side parking was also in effect that day..
    See...that was funny.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Rygar wrote:
    See...that was funny.

Maybe to her, but not to me. I ended up fucking her sister anyway, so I guess it all worked out in the end..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,277
    the city (not boston, slummerville), has decided that to solve this problem by letting you park in school parking lots AFTER 3 PM. But they are towing cars at 2 PM.
    Just drive around for an hour between 2 and 3.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Fucking hell, if it RAINS here, the country stops... if the rain looks a little bit like snow, people can't go into work... if the rain IS snow... everything's shut! If we got 5ins :eek: I can't even imagine.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Fucking hell, if it RAINS here, the country stops... if the rain looks a little bit like snow, people can't go into work... if the rain IS snow... everything's shut! If we got 5ins :eek: I can't even imagine.

um but, doesn't it rain A LOT in Ireland??

Actually, I went to Ireland in the summer of 2002. All of Europe had experienced the rainiest summer in 100 years or something...it was biking trip so I was a bit concerned...perfect sunny weather the whole 10 days :). Only bad part was I didn't bring strong enough sun screen!
  • Options
    I work in Albany, and people are shutting everything down for our 4-8 inches. I'm stuck at work where we have a Disney on Ice show tonight, and they aren't canceling that, so it will probably end up being more people here working than coming to the show (and angry parents looking for refunds afterwards).

You would think that every winter people forget how to drive in the snow and have to re-learn every year.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    When I lived in Northern Wisconsin, the schools were still opened even it there were two feet of snow. People just dealt with it. I think they only closed them when the temp was below -20 F.

Here in Delaware they close when they predict that there might be a slight chance of ice or snow, then a brigade of adrenaline pumped people in huge 4 wheel drive SUV's goes to the supermarket to get bread milk and eggs. I thought that 4 wheel drive was so you COULD go out in the snow. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Last time when it snowed when I was in Boston, a plow truck nearly ran my car over. :) They literally bull horned me off the road. Scared the hell out of me.

I've never seen a city recover so quickly from a snow storm (as far as clearing the roads)
  • Options
    RayneRayne Posts: 99
    Ugh...try the Cape...you should see all the blue hairs running to the grocery stores cuz they're gonna be "snowed in". Fucking utterly ridiculous. It's gonna snow for a few hours, people! Life goes on.
    Underneath this smile lies everything...How I choose to feel, is how I AM!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Snow? :confused:
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    People are getting out early here too. It's stupid. I blame the mdeia and their constant harping about threats and "SNOW TEAM COVERAGE"

memo to Boston: it's winter, it will snow, carry on.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Last time when it snowed when I was in Boston, a plow truck nearly ran my car over. :) They literally bull horned me off the road. Scared the hell out of me.

I've never seen a city recover so quickly from a snow storm (as far as clearing the roads)
    buaha that JUST happened right outside my office. Some plow was blowing its horn like crazy, and people got shoved to the side of the road right on this hill...I think they're stuck. Awful!
  • Options
    Rayne wrote:
    Ugh...try the Cape...you should see all the blue hairs running to the grocery stores cuz they're gonna be "snowed in". Fucking utterly ridiculous. It's gonna snow for a few hours, people! Life goes on.

That kills me... maybe the only exception for running to the store is to get like diapers or formula if you are out, but if your house doesn't have enough food or toilet paper or whatever to make it to maybe the next day, you have problems.

And seriously, most of us live like 5-10 minutes from some sort of convenience store anyway if we really had to go for something it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Sommerville (snow or no snow) is home to one of the world's finest bicycle frame manufactures! For that, the city gets a permanent pass in my book.

I was on the phone with a few people from my employer's home office in NH and they're all splitting early because they're getting a little December snow. haha Red alert, red alert: get your family to your bomb shelter, it's gonna snow! :D
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    you should the amount of people who were going home on the T at 1pm!

obviously, if you ride the T, the snow is not going to affect your commute!
  • Options
    I live in Methuen Mass. and my high school released us at 1230 :D

where are all you mass people from!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    um but, doesn't it rain A LOT in Ireland??

Actually, I went to Ireland in the summer of 2002. All of Europe had experienced the rainiest summer in 100 years or something...it was biking trip so I was a bit concerned...perfect sunny weather the whole 10 days :). Only bad part was I didn't bring strong enough sun screen!
    actually I don't think it rains all that much here :o I mean it DOES... but I can't actually remember the last time I got wet going to or from work. In the winter it seems to rain mostly at night... and in the summer it may rain alot during the days but not really heavy and it's on and off. But the odd morning, if it rains heavily, it's gonna take ya at least 30 minutes longer to get to work :mad:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    we are getting 3-5 inches of snow today. 3-5 inches. this is massachusetts, it has snowed here before. Yet the earth seems to be shattering.

I've got to all the way home now and move my car to the other side of the street so it doesn't get towed. of course, there won't be any room on the other side of the street. the city (not boston, slummerville), has decided that to solve this problem by letting you park in school parking lots AFTER 3 PM. But they are towing cars at 2 PM.

ARRRGGGGHHHHH I've had it!!! Cambridge isn't NEARLY as bad, they just don't plow. I'm fine with that!

wah! wah!
  • Options
    That kills me... maybe the only exception for running to the store is to get like diapers or formula if you are out, but if your house doesn't have enough food or toilet paper or whatever to make it to maybe the next day, you have problems.

The problem in Mass is the memory of the Blizzard of '78 (most of you are too young to remember it probably), when some stores couldn't receive shipments for the better part of 2 weeks cause trucks couldn't get through. The likelihood of that situation ever happening again is practically nil with advances in forecasting and better snow removal technology, but to those who lived through it, its a memory that lingers 30 years later.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    The problem in Mass is the memory of the Blizzard of '78 (most of you are too young to remember it probably), when some stores couldn't receive shipments for the better part of 2 weeks cause trucks couldn't get through. The likelihood of that situation ever happening again is practically nil with advances in forecasting and better snow removal technology, but to those who lived through it, its a memory that lingers 30 years later.

hehe I don't remember the blizzard of 78- I was born the day it started :). Having been born during it though, I've been regaled with stories of it my entire life. My mum was soooo lucky to have made it to the hospital though-I must have known some how because had I decided to come out like hour later I would have been delivered by my dad on the side of 128.
  • Options
    had I decided to come out like hour later I would have been delivered by my dad on the side of 128.
    And you might have spent your first 3 days living in the car on 128. ;)