Options

Happy Belated Birthday to Yield

bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Yield is 10 years old. February 3, 1998. Happy belated birthday, Yield.

Here is my most recent Yield story:

Live 105's Madden came through again today when I called him during 90s at Noon and said I'd like to hear something from Pearl Jam's Yield. I told him it was my birthday (Feb 22) and he told me to prove it. I said George Washington, Julius Earving, and Drew Barrymore were born today, and he said that would suffice as proof. I then said another reason he should play a Yield song is that the 10 year anniversary of Yield's release was a couple weeks ago and he cut me off saying, "And it's just an awsome album." We agreed that Yield didn't get its due in 1998 because alt radio wasn't ready for it and that were it released today, it would blow up. I think PJ were ahead of their time with No Code and Yield. Alt radio was shallow and poppy in 1998, with rap metal and candy-punk dominating the airwaves. Yield had a couple successful singles in Given to Fly and Wishlist and In Hiding, but it was forgotten by the public. I also think Yield has been the last truly CLASSIC album done by PJ. I love Binaural, and to a lesser extent Riot Act and S/T, but Yield hit me like a lightning bolt. Happy Birthday YIELD!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    Just before Pearl Jam's Self-titled came out some radio DJ wrote a blog in which he talked about how radio should have embraced Pearl Jam during the No Code, Yield, and Binaural years, but instead turned their back on the band and instead opted for rap-metal and cheesy groups like Blink 182. Does this ring a bell at all? It was a thoughtful piece that I wanted to read again.