Options

Hanukkah hams

HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Now this just isn't kosher! :p

New York store red faced over 'Hanukkah hams'
Thu Dec 6, 12:55 PM

NEW YORK (AFP) - A posh food store in New York's Greenwich Village has found itself red faced after offering hams for sale with the slogan "Delicious for Hanukkah," the current Jewish religious holiday.

The non-kosher labelling was spotted at the weekend by Manhattan novelist Nancy Kay Shapiro, 46, who decided instead of alerting management to take a picture of the unorthodox sign and post it on the Internet.

"I just thought it was funny," Shapiro, who described herself as an unobservant Jew, told the New York Post. "I wasn't offended in any way. I just thought, here's somebody who knows nothing about what Jews eat."

By the time Shapiro returned to the store on Tuesday, the first night of Hanukkah, the signs had vanished, the newspaper reported.

A manager at the Balducci's gourmet grocery store told the newspaper that the sign was a mistake and blamed it on a stock clerk.

Pork and shellfish are among the foods considered unclean under Jewish law
Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    That's funny! Any religion that states what I can and cannot eat and/or when I can or cannot eat items is no religion for me!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    whats funny is that its Balduccis
  • Options
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    That's funny! Any religion that states what I can and cannot eat and/or when I can or cannot eat items is no religion for me!

so i take it you're not religious then? :p
    i don't think i know of any religion that doesn't have at least some restrictions? or do protestants eat meat on fridays during lent? growing up catholic i remember that all too well....meatless fridays. and just thinking of most of the world's religions: judiasm, christianity, muslim, buddism, etc...all seem to have some dietary restirctions at least at some 'observant' periods during the year. granted, i am not religious now.....but i honestly can't think of a religion that doesn't in some way have some guidelines....?

btw - that is utterly hysterical that it happened in NEW YORK CITY! :D hahahahahahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    mookie9999 wrote:

That is awesome i love how she is using the pictures and putting them on coffe mugs and selling them....

lol
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,477
    i don't think i know of any religion that doesn't have at least some restrictions? or do protestants eat meat on fridays during lent? growing up catholic i remember that all too well....meatless fridays. and just thinking of most of the world's religions: judiasm, christianity, muslim, buddism, etc...all seem to have some dietary restirctions at least at some 'observant' periods during the year. granted, i am not religious now.....but i honestly can't think of a religion that doesn't in some way have some guidelines....?

btw - that is utterly hysterical that it happened in NEW YORK CITY! :D hahahahahahaha.
    There are no food restrictions on Protestants. As long as it tastes good, eat it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

DING DING DING. Well not exaclty. I'm not into organized religion. I respect people's choices and religions, but can't believe in scripture written by man saying that a higher power claims that you can/can't do this/that, blah blah.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    add alittle christian baby blood and ya'll set
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    add alittle christian baby blood and ya'll set

Pretty hard to top those Pegan rituals for a fun filled holiday season! ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Pretty hard to top those Pegan rituals for a fun filled holiday season! ;)

yummy !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Get_Right wrote:
    whats funny is that its Balduccis
    I know! lol

And they are blaming the stock clerk? He/she must be pretty talented...you know to design those fancy little signs and get them laminated like that.
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    this happened in ny?? :eek: omaha i understand, but ny?!! the hell? :D:D
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    There are no food restrictions on Protestants. As long as it tastes good, eat it.

good to know. :p
    agnostic works for me tho....i had enough of organized religion being brought up catholic.

and cutback....EXACTLY!
    damn, i went to a catholic school growing up and i STILL knew all about the dietary restrictions of observant jews. :p sheesh.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    and cutback....EXACTLY!
    damn, i went to a catholic school growing up and i STILL knew all about the dietary restrictions of observant jews. :p sheesh.

i remember in ccd learning about other religions....at least the basics for crying out loud.....:eek: :D:D