Options

what do you get people now-a-days for christmas

MyHandsBoundMyHandsBound Posts: 698
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Normally I would have said they have everything...but I realize they don't ...because now I see what I've chosen not to see during the holiday..... my father would love a new cadillac and my mother would love a new house, but I can't afford either of these.....

I can think of slippers and pajamas and sweaters but that's all crap

....when I was a toddler I would have given them something I made I class (I remember doing that a few times)

I wish I would have thought of this sooner.....but I just don't know what to get ......

I ask my mom weeks ago what she wanted and she didn't say anything and I know if I asked my dad he would say money but damn he's not talking about a couple hundred bucks he's talking about wishful lottery type bucks...

so what can I do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    my brothers and i got my mom one of those cd/record/radio/tape player thingies.
  • Options
    my brothers and i got my mom one of those cd/record/radio/tape player thingies.

she doesn't have an hd tv...but two years ago we did get her one of those 40 or 50 something inch televisions....but she has all of those electronics.....we just can't (I guess we could) throw stuff like that away and make room for more.....

I don't know......

but that's a nice gift for your mom:)
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    now-a-days??

Jet packs and robotic arms.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I am giving my dad a digital frame so he can load it up with pictures and put it on his desk. He loves photographs and I think he would like that.
    My mom is impossible. The only gift she ever liked was this bread cutting board I got her years ago. But I hit the jackpot last year....got her crying..I made a sort of scrapbook (not dorky, cool trifold standing thing) with pictures of my son and me. He is the love of her life. She loves it. Nowadays, I just give them something personal like that. Always appreciated.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I am giving my dad a digital frame so he can load it up with pictures and put it on his desk. He loves photographs and I think he would like that.
    My mom is impossible. The only gift she ever liked was this bread cutting board I got her years ago. But I hit the jackpot last year....got her crying..I made a sort of scrapbook (not dorky, cool trifold standing thing) with pictures of my son and me. He is the love of her life. She loves it. Nowadays, I just give them something personal like that. Always appreciated.

something personal sound nice...

but I don't know about pictures...I have no kids so is would be wierd to give them a framed picture of me....
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    How about gift certificates to their favorite restaurants or tickets to shows they would like to see or a night away somewhere? :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    How about gift certificates to their favorite restaurants or tickets to shows they would like to see or a night away somewhere? :)

I read an article on the net that went on to say that gift certificates are not gifts, they are just a way of saying I don't know what to geet you....blah blah blah....
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I read an article on the net that went on to say that gift certificates are not gifts, they are just a way of saying I don't know what to geet you....blah blah blah....
    I don't care what "they" say, I sure enjoy them! :D Also, a more specific one to a favorite place isn't really the same. :) Just throwing out some suggestions though. Good luck. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options

personally I am not a fan of gift certificates for people who are close to you. they seem more appropriate for like obligation gifts.

keep thinking, you'll come up with something. think about things they like to do and go from there. you could get books and dvds related to that or whatever. if your mom liked the cutting board, maybe she likes other kitchen stuff? people love kitchen gadgets.
  • Options
    If people don't tell me a few things they want or need, they get gift carded.
    "It's all happening"