Options

Seriously... why does my roomate even wear headphones at all?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
My college roomate seriously pisses me off. Right now I should be writing a philosophy paper, but I'll never be able to concentrate because of my roomate. He always listens to the same few shitty gangster rap songs over and over again, at insanely loud volumes with headphones that provide NO sound insulation at all. I can literally hear every word and every note that plays out of that satanic laptop.

At least he TRIES to reduce noise by wearing headphones I guess. But still, it's fucking annoying.

Just need to vent. But that's not even the half of it. :D
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    DOSW wrote:
    My college roomate seriously pisses me off. Right now I should be writing a philosophy paper, but I'll never be able to concentrate because of my roomate. He always listens to the same few shitty gangster rap songs over and over again, at insanely loud volumes with headphones that provide NO sound insulation at all. I can literally hear every word and every note that plays out of that satanic laptop.

At least he TRIES to reduce noise by wearing headphones I guess. But still, it's fucking annoying.

Well look at it on the positive side old Vanilla Ice could be signing along to those crappy rap songs he is listening to! :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    buy him some of those sound muffling headphones for xmas or go write at the library.
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Well look at it on the positive side old Vanilla Ice could be signing along to those crappy rap songs he is listening to! :p

Haha, good point. Sometimes he's plays some older classic hip-hop which isn't too bad, but it's mostly just modern brainless gangster shit.

He also spends 90% of his time looking at random girls' myspace pages. :D
  • Options
    buy him some of those sound muffling headphones for xmas or go write at the library.

Good call, it's a little cold for the 5-7 minute walk to the library but I might just do that.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    DOSW wrote:
    He also spends 90% of his time looking at random girls' myspace pages. :D

Sounds like he has really gotten caught up in the whole academic experience, and striving for scholastic excellence!!! :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    DOSW wrote:
    Good call, it's a little cold for the 5-7 minute walk to the library but I might just do that.

i could never get shit done in a dormroom anyway. too much distraction.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Almost every night this complete jackass who lives in the flat below me at uni comes up to my kitchen to hang with his lady friends (he's one of these obviously gay guys who you never see around guys. he just sits in the kitchen plaiting these girls' hair etc. He has the most fucking annoying voice ever and sounds like a foghorn. last week I was trying to sleep at 3am the night before a 9am lecture and he was in there shouting with his fucking drone of a voice and I nearly went in and headbutted him. I should've really. He is so rude to me all of the time. My room is the closest to the door to our flat so I always have to let him in when he thumps on it and not once does the bastard thank me. I don't want to fall out with my flatmates because they like him but next time I swear to god he's going to know about it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Almost every night this complete jackass who lives in the flat below me at uni comes up to my kitchen to hang with his lady friends (he's one of these obviously gay guys who you never see around guys. he just sits in the kitchen plaiting these girls' hair etc. He has the most fucking annoying voice ever and sounds like a foghorn. last week I was trying to sleep at 3am the night before a 9am lecture and he was in there shouting with his fucking drone of a voice and I nearly went in and headbutted him. I should've really. He is so rude to me all of the time. My room is the closest to the door to our flat so I always have to let him in when he thumps on it and not once does the bastard thank me. I don't want to fall out with my flatmates because they like him but next time I swear to god he's going to know about it.

Yep, there's a group of people who scream and shout out in the lobby down the hall well into the night, sometimes until 4 AM. It's fuckin annoying, and they do it at least a couple times a week. Some people are trying to sleep here!
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's clear that he wants you.... BAD!!! :eek:
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Better yet... buy YOURSELF a pair of sound dampeninfg headphones and let your roommate borrow them while in your room.
    No need rewarding the guy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    If you get on with your flatmates, it's perfectly acceptable to talk to THEM about it. Don't say YET how you don't like him but anytime he makes noise late at night, say it to them and say you don't wanna be a pain in the arse cos you 'like the guy' but if they could just ask him to have a bit more respect for the fact that you live there and if they could stop him from banging on the door. If they're in anyway reasonable, they'll understand. I like my housemates friends but if any of them were disrespectful to me in MY place, there definitely would be words. I get on with them anyway so it would be easier.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Better yet... buy YOURSELF a pair of sound dampeninfg headphones and let your roommate borrow them while in your room.
    No need rewarding the guy.
    Don't EVEN let him borrow them... YOU wear them when he's listening to his loud music... get the point across :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i could never get stuff done at the library... id always wander and find somewhere to doze off. it was always really warm and had these loud fans that would put me right to sleep.

to the orginal poster.. id tell them if its a big issue and you cant go elsewhere.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i hate my college library, cos this is the specific thing you find there: music and chatting all day.
    bummer that u cant have peace in your own place.
    just ask him to listen to it outside or in the toilet or anywhere that aint your study area? but politely obviously.

as for the guy who comes into your home and disresepcts you, that aint cool. the others are right, just tell your friends to tell him to "cop the fuck on". if he does it another time then just tear out the last 10 pages of the book he's currently reading....or just say it to him straight up.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I wonder what Socrates would do in this situation? :confused:
  • Options
    Don't EVEN let him borrow them... YOU wear them when he's listening to his loud music... get the point across :)

I do that all the time, haha. One time I actually got so pissed that I played my music through my external desk speakers quite loudly.... you know, to get the point across. :D Don't think he got the hint though. (sidenote: I also have to put on my headphones whenever he eats because he's the loudest, most disgusting eater I've ever known)

By the way I went to the library last night and it was great for about an hour. Then I got really really tired for some reason, so I came back and went to bed early. So today I got a nice workload in front of me.
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    I do that all the time, haha. One time I actually got so pissed that I played my music through my external desk speakers quite loudly.... you know, to get the point across. :D Don't think he got the hint though. (sidenote: I also have to put on my headphones whenever he eats because he's the loudest, most disgusting eater I've ever known)

By the way I went to the library last night and it was great for about an hour. Then I got really really tired for some reason, so I came back and went to bed early. So today I got a nice workload in front of me.
    So you've tried dropping not so subtle hints then :o hmm... have you tried simply saying it to him? Nicely? Cos even though I suggested hinting in the last one, if I were him and it was someone I didn't get on GREAT with, I wouldn't respect their hints and be kinda thinking 'if it annoys them why can't they just SAY it to me' and then once it's said NICELY there's nothing he can do.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:

ever pop a pair of these in your ears?

http://www.ringing-ears-tinnitus.com/ear_plugs.jpg

;)
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    say you don't wanna be a pain in the arse cos you 'like the guy'
    I actually wouldn't be able to say it :) the mere thought of him makes me angry. I'd throw up if I had to pretend to like him just to avoid conflict. I told one of my flatmates, who I often see talking to him, outright what I though of him and she agreed that he was rude and apparently bitchy behind people's back. Dude needs to just grow a fucking pair and come and say it to my face if he has a problem with me. As it stands, next time he thumps on the door and I open it for him, he has exactly one second to thank me for taking the time to leave my room and let him in, otherwise he gets a heavy fire door right in his smug face.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    He was rude and apparently bitchy behind people's back. Dude needs to just grow a fucking pair and come and say it to my face if he has a problem with me.

He's bitchy eh?.......POT...KETTLE...BLACK...... :)

...i genuinely think u should take your own recommendation and tell him he's bothering you. whats the point of getting worked up over it? and if he continues 2 do whatever it is he's doing after that, then fuckit, at that point he's being a total wanker. but until then just say it to him, as its clearly driving u nuts.

my experience is saying shit outright to people, pull him aside or say it to him when you open the door to him or whatever, but jesus dont let something like that fuck your head up. get it out of your system

if a guy doesnt respond to you having the decency to tell him to mind his manners in your home then he's not a guy worth lettin piss u off. (although arguably u shouldnt have to tell him)
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    What is your paper on?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    just don't understand people who listen to music, with headphones, that loud.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:
    He's bitchy eh?.......POT...KETTLE...BLACK...... :)
    :D I'm not the one with the problem and I'm not the one going into his kitchen, getting some girl to cut my hair into his sink, leaving said hair there without rinsing it, using my plates and leaving them for me to clean up etc. I am ALLOWED to take the piss :)

Update though, just let him in the door, he said thanks. Maybe he overheard me from downstairs when I was telling his his friend what I thought of him, which is good. I left the window open and spoke as loudly as I wanted in case he did. Hopefully I won't have to cause an ugly scene now. I do wish he'd fuck off to his own flat though.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    What is your paper on?

John Perry, a materialist monist who believes all of our thoughts, ideas, and our sense of self comes from the physical nature of the world. Right up your alley actually. Problem is there's a very limited amount of information out there on him, and any info that IS out there either requires knowledge of obscure philosophers before him or an extensive knowledge of psychobabble.

But yeah, back to work. Due tomorrow.

Oh, and if I had earplugs, I'd use them. :D
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    DOSW wrote:
    John Perry, a materialist monist who believes all of our thoughts, ideas, and our sense of self comes from the physical nature of the world. Right up your alley actually. Problem is there's a very limited amount of information out there on him, and any info that IS out there either requires knowledge of obscure philosophers before him or an extensive knowledge of psychobabble.

But yeah, back to work. Due tomorrow.

Oh, and if I had earplugs, I'd use them. :D

Steer clear of the psychobabble man.

I've never heard of Perry myself. Is this assigned or are you some kind of eliminativst or materialist too?

He's got a website, clearly a better philosopher than web developer.

Is this the guy?
    http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~jperry/phil.html

Stanford?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :D I'm not the one with the problem and I'm not the one going into his kitchen, getting some girl to cut my hair into his sink, leaving said hair there without rinsing it, using my plates and leaving them for me to clean up etc. I am ALLOWED to take the piss :)

Update though, just let him in the door, he said thanks. Maybe he overheard me from downstairs when I was telling his his friend what I thought of him, which is good. I left the window open and spoke as loudly as I wanted in case he did. Hopefully I won't have to cause an ugly scene now. I do wish he'd fuck off to his own flat though.
    well reallly your flatmate shouldn't be putting the hair in the sink... also if I've a friend around and they don't do their dishes, I DO, I don't leave it for my housemates.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    well reallly your flatmate shouldn't be putting the hair in the sink... also if I've a friend around and they don't do their dishes, I DO, I don't leave it for my housemates.
    Nah this particular girl wasn't from my flat either, they were both visitors. The only other guy in my flat, who is sound, is getting more pissed off than I am and was just utterly astounded that anyone could think it was ok to go into someone elses kitchen, perform a haircut into the sink and then leave it. I was just like mind= blown
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Nah this particular girl wasn't from my flat either, they were both visitors. The only other guy in my flat, who is sound, is getting more pissed off than I am and was just utterly astounded that anyone could think it was ok to go into someone elses kitchen, perform a haircut into the sink and then leave it. I was just like mind= blown
    well then you two need to get together and speak nicely to the girls in your flat. What is the rental situation? Do these girls have more power over you cos it sounds like you're afraid of something... but you have a genuine complaint. If my housemates were bringing somebody like this in, I'd have no problem having words with them... it's all in the delivery though. Maybe say you've tried to like him and you really hate having to say it but he makes you uncomfortable in your own home and he's rude to you and all that so either he changes his ways and respects the flat and acts like a visitor SHOULD act or you'd rather they spend more time at HIS place instead. But be nice about it and apologetic (even though you shouldn't have to... but this is how to keep the girls on side cos it sounds like you want to)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

same here... i just trekked my arse to the library.
  • Options
    well then you two need to get together and speak nicely to the girls in your flat.

Maybe say you've tried to like him and you really hate having to say it but he makes you uncomfortable in your own home and he's rude to you and all that so either he changes his ways and respects the flat and acts like a visitor SHOULD act or you'd rather they spend more time at HIS place instead. But be nice about it and apologetic (even though you shouldn't have to... but this is how to keep the girls on side cos it sounds like you want to)

good advice. ask them how they would feel if your friends came over to shave in their sinks?...dont be dramatic, but point out that (as above) he imposes on your space, which is not on. he must be 100% socially inept.

this guy sounds like he needs a serious kick up the ass. refrain from giving him it though