Options

Hollywood Strike

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
they would want to get their act together. Is it all over script writers wanting more money?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the writers want a cut of the money generated from internet revenue.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    they would want to get their act together. Is it all over script writers wanting more money?

I think it's over them wanting what they deserve, yes. :)

Writers always get the shaft. :(
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    this is from another thread.....good info here.....:)
    Enkidu wrote:
    Hi, I'm in the WGA. If you want to understand the issues, check out these two websites.

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/ This one has a video on the right hand side called "Why We Fight."

Trust me, we all want it to be over soon. It sucks for everybody.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Europe is two months behind the states in tv shows , only four episodes of lost post production. End soon please.....
  • Options
    The following link provides an alphabetical listing of tv shows and breaks down how many episodes were produced and how many have already aired, as of Jan 8.

E.g., Grey's Anatomy has produced 11 episodes and aired 10, so as of last Monday there was one episode left. Since a new Grey's aired last week, I'm assuming Grey's is done.

Shows with no new episodes include 30 Rock, Bionic Woman, The Office, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, How I Met Your Mother, Private Practice, Pushing Daisies, and The Unit.

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/TVNews/Articles/080108_blackout_countdown_MH
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    I think it's over them wanting what they deserve, yes. :)

Writers always get the shaft. :(

I agree. anyone else with that kind of IP would be collecting royalties over these internet showings.
  • Options
    I agree. anyone else with that kind of IP would be collecting royalties over these internet showings.

There would be no question!
  • Options
    fada wrote:

Although I support my brethren, I too am in the WGA (not by choice), but am not by any means a fan of unions for these types of professions. We are not Teamsters looking for health care for our kids here, or UPS drivers who need less drive time. We're writers, and we have a God-given talent that (I believe) we should be thankful for. Most people I know who are not in the WGA but are struggling writers would willfully bleed out if it meant they could sell their work to anyone- even without the 2 1/2 cents of internet revenue.

What the writers have done is (obviously) shut down Hollywood, and the repercussions will be felt for many moons to come. Why is it OK for the WGA to strike, when it means that people from the barista at Starbucks in Studio City to the woman who started her own (now failing) payroll company will be out of work? People, including the holier-than-thou writers, will and have lost their jobs, those jobs will not return, and instead of writing like they always wanted to, these people will return to the workforce and cubicles just to survive.
    Think this season is bad? Don't count on there being a next TV season either.

They need to get back to work.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    Although I support my brethren, I too am in the WGA (not by choice), but am not by any means a fan of unions for these types of professions. We are not Teamsters looking for health care for our kids here, or UPS drivers who need less drive time. We're writers, and we have a God-given talent that (I believe) we should be thankful for. Most people I know who are not in the WGA but are struggling writers would willfully bleed out if it meant they could sell their work to anyone- even without the 2 1/2 cents of internet revenue.

What the writers have done is (obviously) shut down Hollywood, and the repercussions will be felt for many moons to come. Why is it OK for the WGA to strike, when it means that people from the barista at Starbucks in Studio City to the woman who started her own (now failing) payroll company will be out of work? People, including the holier-than-thou writers, will and have lost their jobs, those jobs will not return, and instead of writing like they always wanted to, these people will return to the workforce and cubicles just to survive.

I hear what you are saying, but why should the large studios be entitled to all the money off of other people's backs? Why aren't you mad at them for being stubborn and not sharing the spoils of what they both create? I for one am not sure that TV will recover from this. Certainly not Network TV as we know it.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    I hear what you are saying, but why should the large studios be entitled to all the money off of other people's backs? Why aren't you mad at them for being stubborn and not sharing the spoils of what they both create? I for one am not sure that TV will recover from this. Certainly not Network TV as we know it.

I don't disagree, I just think having a writers union is ridiculous. Yes, there are good arguments, like- writers can go years between good gigs so a $1mm payday might not be as rosy as it seems (which is impossible to imagine).
    I guess I'm just not a big fan of unions for the priviledged.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options

My question is, who else gets paid or where does it end. Do the costume designers or casting directors or lighting people or whoever get a cut of internet revenue or syndication? If they don't, should they if so much more money is being made partly off the work they did?

It might be easy to say from the outside looking in, but the film company pays writers (and whoever else) to do their jobs for a particular movie or show. Maybe what they pay these people should be higher because the studio will get more money on the back-end (internet, syndication, whatever), but when every new distribution technology comes out, should writers get a cut of that?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    My question is, who else gets paid or where does it end. Do the costume designers or casting directors or lighting people or whoever get a cut of internet revenue or syndication? If they don't, should they if so much more money is being made partly off the work they did?

It might be easy to say from the outside looking in, but the film company pays writers (and whoever else) to do their jobs for a particular movie or show. Maybe what they pay these people should be higher because the studio will get more money on the back-end (internet, syndication, whatever), but when every new distribution technology comes out, should writers get a cut of that?

I thought it was something of a forward-looking thought. Eventually, DVD box-sets and internet viewing are going to cut into re-runs of TV shows, which, if I'm not mistaken, is where writers make a lot of money. So they're basically trying to insure themselves against the admittedly distant evenutality of a large part of their income being gone.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    EDIT: double post. Stupid internet.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Take the Daily Show & The Colbert Report. Each show can be viewed on ITunes for $2. Shouldn't the writers get a piece of that?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

I agree with you...unions should act to ensure basic needs and safety for its members, but I feel it is wrong for someone to earn much more (I am not talking about unskilled laborers) then their market value simply cuz they joined up with a paid strong-armer (though this isn't really the issue re: WGA strike).

My firm is suffering cuz our fees are based on 5% of our clients' (actors, writers, directors, producers) income.

Axium Payroll has indeed gone bankrupt, so many people will have IRS hassles when it comes to getting their correct W-2s.
  • Options
    Take the Daily Show & The Colbert Report. Each show can be viewed on ITunes for $2. Shouldn't the writers get a piece of that?

Absolutely, and those shows should negotiate with the writers. The writers should not be able to extort money from the producers simply because they are in a glorified club.
  • Options
    well, I'm no expert on this. Not even close. But wouldn't it be Viacom who's collecting the $$$ every time someone pays $2 to watch the show on ITunes? If The Daily Show isn't getting any money from that, why should they eb the ones to pay the writers for that, and not Viacom?