Options

Salary Requirements? (yup...another job search question!)

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So...I just found this really sweet job posting that is exactly what I am looking for! Woohoo! :D I've updated/tailored my resume to fit the listing, and now I'm getting ready to draft a cover letter.

The job posting asks for my salary requirements. I've never included this info in a resume or cover letter; I've only answered the question on a retail application. I have a pretty good idea of what they will be willing offer in terms of an hourly wage. (Since it's part-time, I assume it'll be an hourly wage rather than a salary.) Honestly, I am open to just about anything because this job sounds like the perfect opportunity for me to get back "in the game", albeit on a limited basis. I just need to know the following: what is the most graceful way to answer this question? And where would I put this information?

Just thought I'd throw this question out there. I've gotten good advice from you people in the past! :)

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    What is the job?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Normally you can put down anything. Usually it's just a formality. But I'd list about $2-$3 more than you think, that way you have a chance at more money. But you won't be let down if you don't get it.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Normally you can put down anything. Usually it's just a formality. But I'd list about $2-$3 more than you think, that way you have a chance at more money. But you won't be let down if you don't get it.

Good advice, places wont not interview you because of what you write for a salary, they will take it that you are confident in how good you would be at a position that you would be worth the amount.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    What is the job?

It's a marketing position. It will basically pick up where I left off when I quit my last job, and I am more than qualified for it. And it's part-time, so it's exactly what I'm looking for! I've had trouble finding quality jobs that are part-time.
  • Options

In the cover letter? In the resume?

I've just read a couple of things online that say DON'T mention salary requirements even if they ask. :rolleyes:

I hate the games that you have to play. I wish everyone could just be honest all the time. :)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

I've just read a couple of things online that say DON'T mention salary requirements even if they ask. :rolleyes:

I hate the games that you have to play. I wish everyone could just be honest all the time. :)

Cover Letter. :) Good Luck with the jobby job.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    So...I just found this really sweet job posting that is exactly what I am looking for! Woohoo! :D I've updated/tailored my resume to fit the listing, and now I'm getting ready to draft a cover letter.

The job posting asks for my salary requirements. I've never included this info in a resume or cover letter; I've only answered the question on a retail application. I have a pretty good idea of what they will be willing offer in terms of an hourly wage. (Since it's part-time, I assume it'll be an hourly wage rather than a salary.) Honestly, I am open to just about anything because this job sounds like the perfect opportunity for me to get back "in the game", albeit on a limited basis. I just need to know the following: what is the most graceful way to answer this question? And where would I put this information?

Just thought I'd throw this question out there. I've gotten good advice from you people in the past! :)

Thanks in advance!

no, you don't put the salary requirements on there. even though they ask. you acknowledge it by saying "salary requirements open" or something to that effect. Even if they hound you about it, you keep saying that until the very end. that was a huge mistake I made in my last job search. They'd ask on the application or in the first interview and I figured I'd just say something- a ballpark figure. I figured it didn't really make a difference and if they were going to give me the job they would and let me decide if I'd accept their salary or not. Well it did not go over well and I didn't learn that I had it wrong until 3 good but low paying jobs had turned me down (the number I gave them was too high). They won't tell you what the problem is though.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Don't put a figure down, even if they ask. Most employers won't take notice if you don't put anything but if you put too high, your application will be discarded.

If you wish to acknowledge their request, write 'salary negotiable'. Also, as GTD said, don't talk money during the interview - wait until they make an offer, then talk money, benefits, etc.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457

not easy... I don't like mentioning the salary. I changed of job a few weeks ago and when I came here for the interview they asked me "how much do yo uwant / expect?". I said that I expected at least what I had until then (which was not much). They offered me 15% more than that....
    So, if they ask to precise, in the job posting, how much you want, I think you ar obliged to write something about that in the cover letter. But you may chose to be unprecise like "I expect the usula salary for taht kind of job, for someone with my backgroudn, etc.".
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Thank you all. :)

I won't put anything down. Just as well, because I'm pretty open to just about anything, and I think I have a good idea of what they'll offer anyway.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you put down:

negotiable

but when they ask in the interview, you should have your number ready
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    you put down:

negotiable

yep....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    you put down:

negotiable

exactly.

ALWAYS appear flexible/open for discussion. i do agree you should have a range in mind, and be willing to discuss such in the interview....but imo anyway, especially if i truly like the company and want the job, even then...i keep it open, in a range.....and take it from there. in person it's easier to gauge i think.

good luck! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Get_Right wrote:
    you put down:

negotiable

since I work in HR and conduct interviews........and pour through resume after resume..........I can say......

this is exactly what you should do..........
  • Options
    i have sat down for interviews with trucking companies over the years and literally laughed in their faces when they tell me their starting wage....

i figure the second they fucking insult me with their ridiculous offer....then its game on and im allowed to start insulting them....

then they ALWAYS have this line after i laugh...."but we offer as much overtime as you want so you will still be making great money"

which i always reply....."i wouldnt work one hour a week for that silly wage.....why on earth would i think of working 60 hours a week????"

then there is always the....."do you pay time and a half after 40 hours???"

which 90% of the time is answered with a "NO".....

and then i always reply...."im surprised anyone works for this company"

hehehehe......i fucking love job interviews.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    you put down:

negotiable

actually I did this for a while, and it's better to say "open" than "negotiable" because companies generally do NOT like to negotiate salaries, and you don't want them to think that you are automatically going to try to negotiate (you only negotiate a salary in rare circumstances). I thought it was just a wording thing, and that "negotiable" would generally equal "open" but 1) my career counselor told me otherwise and 2) I said "negotiable" to one company (the one I'm actually with) and they were like "well we generally do not negotiate salaries with mid level people." So yeah, you don't really want to use that word it turns out.