Options

90s music

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm watching vh1's "best" songs of the 90s (more like biggest hits, but whatever) as I wrap presents, and I'm thinking that, as a total rock chick, even the pop, hip hop, and R&B of the 90s wasn't bad. I don't think anyone here needs to be reminded of the rock triumphs of the decade, I mean I'm sitting here thinking, I do not like rap/hip hop AT ALL and I don't think it's possible to NOT like "Ain't Nuthin but a G thang" (or however you spell it). I HATE boring music like pop singers like whitney houston and mariah carey and En Vogue whatnot, but shit those women could sing. like they are just extremely talented, whether the songs suck or not. and the DANCE songs were fun, and the novelty songs (baby got back anyone?). I mean in all categories, the music of 90s was just like a notch above what it is now. maybe it's my age or something, but I couldn't even name a single pop, hip hop, or R&B song that's out now. Even the pop rock and slightly crappier rock like oasis and say, candelbox, was pretty good!

and watching this, I'm getting chills when I think about the first time I heard songs like "one" and "under the bridge" and "smells like teen spirit." I was in jr high and those songs just made me love rock and appreciate music. I remember being in 7th grade and LOVING "losing my religion" and all the other kids just hated it, but it was just like a big step out of the pop and into the real music for me.

and crap, Bono was hot in 1991.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    That list lost all credibility when they said they left out the Foo's "Everlong"....that's one brilliant song.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    That list lost all credibility when they said they left out the Foo's "Everlong"....that's one brilliant song.

hahaha well I didn't think the list had much cred to begin with...

but yeah I LOVE that song. it's probably my favorite "non pearl jam" song.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I have been watching that all week and thinking the same thing. I done like rap or pop but there were some really great tunes out in that decade. There were a few songs that I couldn't believe made the countdown but overall good stuff. I have seen the last part but I'm anxious to see who was number 1. It comes on in an hour so don't tell me. I like surprises :)
  • Options

Agreed. It should have been there. Wasn't it one of the close calls?

Were these songs voted on by viewers or was this list made up by VH1?
  • Options
    any PJ make the list? I only watch it to the commercial when I'm flipping through.

EDIT: I just read that Jeremy made it at number 11....which is kinda bogus....they're supposed to be judging the song itself, not the video.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    any PJ make the list? I only watch it to the commercial when I'm flipping through.

Haven't seen 1-20 but they're not on the rest of the list. Myabe I'm biased but how could you have a 90s list with no PJ? That would be crazy!!!!!
  • Options
    "It's all happening"
  • Options

Jeremy was #11. as I said, it wasn't so much about the "best" songs, just the "biggest" songs.

the people they interviewed, as usual had very good things to say about pj. one guy (not sure who it was) said something like they were bad ass and the real deal or something. ricki rachtman gave the rundown about how the stopped making videos and became anti industry, but then someone noted that that's how they managed to stick together as a great band. oh and there was a classic snipet of like 93-94 eddie mumbling to the camera :).

I think we all know what #1 was.
  • Options
    VH1 had a list a few years ago that had Jeremy as I think the 2nd most influential video of all time. Did anyone see that? Anyway, I figured after that they would put it in the top 20.
  • Options
    Jeremy was #11. as I said, it wasn't so much about the "best" songs, just the "biggest" songs.

the people they interviewed, as usual had very good things to say about pj. one guy (not sure who it was) said something like they were bad ass and the real deal or something. ricki rachtman gave the rundown about how the stopped making videos and became anti industry, but then someone noted that that's how they managed to stick together as a great band. oh and there was a classic snipet of like 93-94 eddie mumbling to the camera :).

I think we all know what #1 was.

I figured that would be #1 but ya never know with those list.
  • Options
    Have to agree that music was the best then. 90 to 95 was the best that rock and hip-hop that has ever been, IMO. Its like it got "real" or something and completely changed the sound of everything. You can draw a line right on 1991 and music is just different and it can't go back because it would just sound goofy. Best thing to happen in music, despite the fact that its is watered-down now. I mean, its still better than 1987, 85, 83 ect.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    Have to agree that music was the best then. 90 to 95 was the best that rock and hip-hop that has ever been, IMO. Its like it got "real" or something and completely changed the sound of everything. You can draw a line right on 1991 and music is just different and it can't go back because it would just sound goofy. Best thing to happen in music, despite the fact that its is watered-down now. I mean, its still better than 1987, 85, 83 ect.

you know someone dissed 80s music recently and I had to disagree. yes there was a TON OF CRAP in the 80s, but I can't complain about the decade that produced The Smiths, Guns N' Roses, and U2. I just can't.
  • Options
    EDIT: I just read that Jeremy made it at number 11....which is kinda bogus....they're supposed to be judging the song itself, not the video.

I don't think they could have chosen songs without a video, they need something to show in the background :) I mean they could have done Alive, which to any PJ fan has got to be the way more important song, but I think being VH1 they often confuse the ideas of "songs" and "videos."
  • Options
    you know someone dissed 80s music recently and I had to disagree. yes there was a TON OF CRAP in the 80s, but I can't complain about the decade that produced The Smiths, Guns N' Roses, and U2. I just can't.

Yeah its was good and produced great music and also the music that became the nineties, but overall is was just.... the eighties - shallow to what came after in general. I like alot of the eighties though.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I agree. The 80's rivals the 90's IMO. Most of the good music trends of the 90's have roots in the 80's. The Seattle scene of the 90's was well underway in the late 80's.

While LA produced hair metal (which so many hate - I love), it also produced GnR and Jane's Addiction....and the whole gansta rap/hip hop scene started in the 80's - the people that made it so good in the early 90's were already doing their thing.

The alternative scene was awesome - the Pixies, Femmes.......punk totally grew and peaked in the 80's.
    Metal didn't just develop into glam, but branched into heavier stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Sucidal.....most of the listenable prog rock made came from the 80's. I am not a fan of new wave, but a lot of people like that stuff....I just don't get the 80's music stigma - the 80's were great for tunes!
  • Options
    I agree. The 80's rivals the 90's IMO. Most of the good music trends of the 90's have roots in the 80's. The Seattle scene of the 90's was well underway in the late 80's.

While LA produced hair metal (which so many hate - I love), it also produced GnR and Jane's Addiction....and the whole gansta rap/hip hop scene started in the 80's - the people that made it so good in the early 90's were already doing their thing.

The alternative scene was awesome - the Pixies, Femmes.......punk totally grew and peaked in the 80's.
    Metal didn't just develop into glam, but branched into heavier stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Sucidal.....most of the listenable prog rock made came from the 80's. I am not a fan of new wave, but a lot of people like that stuff....I just don't get the 80's music stigma - the 80's were great for tunes!

I agree that the good alternative had already started in the 80s, but it didn't really get all that exposed till the 90s. At least from my point of view being exposed to MTV and radio.

and all the other stuff mentioned, well I guess its all personal taste. I like that stuff, but not as much as "grunge" or what is played on the "lithium channel" on the sirus.
  • Options
    I remember being in 7th grade and LOVING "losing my religion" and all the other kids just hated it, but it was just like a big step out of the pop and into the real music for me.

That's so funny, that song did it for me, too!

I remember buying that cassette single, and getting laughed at by all of my friends for it! :)

I give my sister part of the credit, too, for making me listen to REM as a little kid in the mid 80s, when she was in college. :)
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Pop, Rap and R & B were way better in the 80's and 90's. Used to listen to tons of rap but it got so bad that I dont listen to it at all anymore really and although I never listened to alot of the other two genres, I didnt mind hearing them during those decades.......now I actually get pissed off when I hear new music from any of those genres.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    '90s music was so much better than anything from the '80s and this current decade.

I don't understand why so many people are infatuated with 80s music, because it's terrible.

The best period of music, in my opinion, though was from about 1965-1975.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    "Free yo' MIIIIIIIIIIND....and the rest will follow!"

that was the shiz back in the day
  • Options
    That's so funny, that song did it for me, too!

I remember buying that cassette single, and getting laughed at by all of my friends for it! :)

I give my sister part of the credit, too, for making me listen to REM as a little kid in the mid 80s, when she was in college. :)

as the older one in my house I had to pave the way. My brother owes all his musical taste to me (and he's a musician now). It's unbelievable the role that siblings play in the perpetuation of popular music.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    '90s music was so much better than anything from the '80s and this current decade.

I don't understand why so many people are infatuated with 80s music, because it's terrible.

The best period of music, in my opinion, though was from about 1965-1975.

You have to be around 26-33 years old.
    "It's all happening"