Options

record players

writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
can someone who knows about these things please help me out with a gift idea? My kids want to buy their dad for Christmas a record/cd player because he still has his high school collection of albums. Is there any type of cleaner that we could use to make sure the albums are in good shape for him to be able to use his gift--should they get that for him? They are pretty old and I am truly not sure how playable they are.

thanks
Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    You want to clean the vinyl or the covers of the albums? If it is the vinyl I would touch it with anything except the brush that you use just before you drop the needle. And those said brushes have come along way from almost taking the static right off the vinyl.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    take a good look at Rega. An excellent brand that makes affordable, no nonsense audio equipment. Not knowing your budget, I'll assume you're thinking something entry level -- I'd suggest the P-1 or P-3.

As for cleaner, check out stuff from Nitty Gritty. They use non-alcoholic cleaning agents which aren't so hard on the vinyl yet clean efficiently.

Go online to Music Direct. They are one of the best in the online biz for audio gear and vinyl.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    thanks so much. I will look at that with my boys. We were so excited when we saw the (affordable) record/cd players and figured that it would be awesome to get one for their dad.
    And then, realizing that his albums are from the original ones put out when he was a teenager, (like Uriah Heep and Ted Nugent, etc.) I thought that they may need some freshening up before he uses it and it would be great to have something on hand to clean them with.
    thanks again.

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    writersu wrote:
    thanks so much. I will look at that with my boys. We were so excited when we saw the (affordable) record/cd players and figured that it would be awesome to get one for their dad.
    And then, realizing that his albums are from the original ones put out when he was a teenager, (like Uriah Heep and Ted Nugent, etc.) I thought that they may need some freshening up before he uses it and it would be great to have something on hand to clean them with.
    thanks again.

i LOVE vinyl!!! i just got a record player for my birthday from some frenz on here. It plays cds, cassettes, and has an ipod hook up!!! And let me just say Ted sounds CRAZY on vinyl! FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE is stil my fave though! :) good luck~
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    I so remember Frampton Comes Alive.......remember how cool we all thought it was when he did "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and "spoke" through his guitar? that was something............."whose wine? what wine? where the hell did I dine?"

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    writersu wrote:
    I so remember Frampton Comes Alive.......remember how cool we all thought it was when he did "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and "spoke" through his guitar? that was something............."whose wine? what wine? where the hell did I dine?"

i wasnt there when that came out, but id just like to say that that song is still cooler than fucking hell.
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    ............."whose wine? what wine? where the hell did I dine?"

*screams* HELL YES!!!!!!! i LOVE IT!!!!
    i bought like 5 copies of that album at yard sales in the recent years. How you gonna sell a classic yet timeless album for a NICKEL!!!!! oh well, my treasure now!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options

• Options
    i wasnt there when that came out, but id just like to say that that song is still cooler than fucking hell.

yeah, that was so cool.........I can still hear that song ........a really good anthem song.........

and he is so funny in the geico commercial......doe he still perform?

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    i LOVE vinyl!!! i just got a record player for my birthday from some frenz on here. It plays cds, cassettes, and has an ipod hook up!!! And let me just say Ted sounds CRAZY on vinyl! FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE is stil my fave though! :) good luck~

ok so what is your favorite Ted song from back in the day? I remember that I loved......loved, "Hey Baby". what was yours?