Options

Helium shortage?

mindimindi Posts: 1,858
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Did anyone else hear about this? In the St Louis Post yesterday they had a story about how the helium supply will be depleted within ten years!
Is this something I should worry about?
Why does this upset me?
To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I was not aware of this that is a bummer.

Soon you won't be able to suck it in and talk funny :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    what will this do to the party balloon industry? :p

seriously tho, i wonder why? any reasons given? seems bizarre.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I was not aware of this that is a bummer.

Soon you won't be able to suck it in and talk funny :D
    See that is what I was thinking. :( I have fond memories of doing this when I was young, and heck when I was old too!

I told my son not to expect any balloons on his 18th birthday. They(my kids) think I am crazy.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options

Well because the demand for helium has ballooned (LOL) in recent years.

I had no idea it was a natural resource. It says that the nation's lone helium reserve is in Texas, and they expect it will be depleted within 10 years, :(
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

here is a quick article about it:

While many party supply stores across the United States are bursting over a helium shortage, balloons are soaring at Ultimate Party supply store in Hattiesburg.

Owner Sadie Booth said her business was initially affected by the helium supply crunch, but ever since she located a reliable supplier, business has escalated.

"In the beginning our customers were limited as to how many balloons they could purchase, which was 12," she said. "Now, customers can order as many as they like for 99 cents a piece."

Shortages of helium, an odorless, colorless gas derived from natural gas production, began more than a year ago, according to Hans Stuart, spokesman for the Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the Federal Helium Reserve near Amarillo, Texas.

But the demand for the gas is rising.

"Helium is extracted from the reserve and then refined by private plants, but there aren't enough refineries to keep up," Stuart said.

Last year, Americans spent $2 billion on party supply rentals, including helium-filled balloons.

The shortage not only is affecting balloon sales, but entire businesses as well.

Buddy Stubbs, president of Busyland Rent-all in Tupelo, said the shortage is crimping his entire business, which also rents tables, linens and other supplies.

Stubbs said customers have gotten frustrated when they can't get helium and have taken their business elsewhere.

Now Stubbs is considering folding.

"When it's costing us other business, it's probably something we'll have to get out of," he said.

Distributors decide who gets helium, and party decorators aren't high on their lists. Balloons represent about 7 percent of the U.S. helium consumption, said Jim Ely, spokesman for Radnor, Pa., based Airgas, Inc., the country's largest distributor of industrial gases.

"There are a lot more important uses for helium in medical, scientific and industrial applications than blowing up balloons," he said.

The company recently announced a 20 to 30 percent price increase for helium effective this month. Industrial gas provider Praxair Inc. plans a similar increase for January.

"The problem is only going to get worse," Stuart said. "The U.S. reservoir holds about 21 billion cubic feet, and about 2.1 billion cubic feet are taken out a year, so in a decade, it'll be gone."
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    That is weird, and inexplicably upsetting, for me as well. lol

:(
  • Options
    no more balloons...how sad. :(
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    First cork...now helium.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    First cork...now helium.

cork shortage as well? :o it is sad!
    i know for wine there are many who use the fake corks nowadays....bleh. i like the real corks. most of our fave wines still do use real cork, but a few, such as [yellow tail] use the manufactured kind and it just ain't the same. :(

hmmmm...no party balloons and no corks in the future? bummer.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    cork shortage as well? :o it is sad!
    i know for wine there are many who use the fake corks nowadays....bleh. i like the real corks. most of our fave wines still do use real cork, but a few, such as [yellow tail] use the manufactured kind and it just ain't the same. :(

hmmmm...no party balloons and no corks in the future? bummer.
    Yea, I think that's why a lot of em use plastic corks now. Silly.
  • Options
    No more floaty ballons at birthday parties....

Oh the horror...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    that is kinda scarry! Time to use up a new gas!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Well, it's going somewhere (the atmosphere) but I guess there's no reasonable way of extracting it in that way. Bummer. My son loves going to the grocery store for the helium balloons. They also now use helium on blimps since it is inert. Blame the blimp people.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    mindi wrote:
    Well because the demand for helium has ballooned (LOL) in recent years.

lol, nice!